Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

An honest question for those with many bikes...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

An honest question for those with many bikes...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 09:46 AM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
I spoke with a musician a while ago about guitars. He says guitar players do have more than one guitar and if "serious musicians" will have a collection of guitars. Sounds like bikes.
Yup, While you can't play more than one guitar at a time, each one has a different sound to it, a different feel to it; just like bikes, we can't ride more than one bike at a time but they're all different. Just like a guitar player if they end up not liking a particular guitar they'll trade it in for something different, same with bikes, we'll sell it and get something different if we don't like a certain one.
Old 02-19-24, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a bit of a one-bike-at-a-time person too. Bought one, rode it like crazy, then switched for something new. It's like I fall in bike-love and can't help it.

I've often wondered about folks with 5+ bikes. Like, do they ride all of them equally? Or maybe just one or two get all the action? I mean, is that why people say old bikes last forever? 'Cause they mostly chill in garages, only rolling out for a few hundred miles a year?
Old 02-19-24, 10:37 AM

Bikes: rockhopper w/26x2.5 rear

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I just like bikes. My wife asked, "Why are u so obsessed with bikes?" I replied, "would you rather i be obsessed with something else?" (Skin activity) She emphatically said, "NO!"
Depends on the workout/trip/errand etc. I would like to do. Electric for store, track bike for quick workout, Cannondale Quick for commute.
Old 02-19-24, 01:24 PM

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
It occurred to me this morning that "too many bikes" is one if you don't ride it.
Old 02-19-24, 03:39 PM

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 966 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by pppittpeter
I'm a bit of a one-bike-at-a-time person too. Bought one, rode it like crazy, then switched for something new. It's like I fall in bike-love and can't help it.

I've often wondered about folks with 5+ bikes. Like, do they ride all of them equally? Or maybe just one or two get all the action? I mean, is that why people say old bikes last forever? 'Cause they mostly chill in garages, only rolling out for a few hundred miles a year?
Out of my 7 bikes, 1 bike gets probably 70% of the total riding I do...but they almost all serve purpose and get ridden regularly. The only one that rarely gets ridden, I own it just because I like having it. Like the guitar metaphor, they all are special in their own ways...I enjoy the unique experience that each one provides, even if that doesn't necessarily equate to some performance advantage. I'm also into the nuances of even the same disciplines of riding i.e. my preferred road bike for rough pavement may not be my preferred road bike for a mountainous ride with 10k' of climbing. Get into mountain bikes and the differences become even less nuanced.
Old 02-19-24, 07:02 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by pppittpeter

Mostly ride two or three of them, but park the rest of them in the bedroom and livingroom and lust after them. Some people hang paintings in their homes, some park lugged art up against the wall.
Old 02-19-24, 10:00 PM

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 412 Posts
As a retired mechanical engineer with many years in maintenance and a father and grandfather who were also tinkerers and love it. I have 24 as I have room for them with a right sized shop (see below). I rescue and sometime donates through a friend fine old bikes. I have bikes for my kids and their family about 6 and many I shuffle through. I usually have 3 or 4 waiting on maintenance or parts for adjustment to the ride (I am now 73 and things change), higher bars, shorter bar drops like 120mm, larger tires if possible, even my saddle preference has shifted a little.

Right sized shop
Old 02-19-24, 10:40 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by chunkymonkeybik
I just like bikes. My wife asked, "Why are u so obsessed with bikes?" I replied, "would you rather i be obsessed with something else?" (Skin activity) She emphatically said, "NO!"
Depends on the workout/trip/errand etc. I would like to do. Electric for store, track bike for quick workout, Cannondale Quick for commute.
LOL!! I was obsessed with cars, had 5 classic cars up until 5 or 6 years ago when I sold them all, but I had them as long as 32 years, some as bit less time, but she was so happy when sold those caIrs. I don't even have a large collection of bikes, but she thinks I'm obsessed with them, then she nearly had a heart attack when I said I was getting a convertible sports car, fine she said, but don't get any more, so I found an 2002 Lexus SC 430 for way under market with only 34,000 miles on it because the owner only drove it in the summer and then not much, it's a Twilight Amethyst Pearl (deep Purple, turns black in the shade and at night), it's almost like new condition, just the GPS isn't working, I have to get it looked at. The owner put on new tires last month because the original tires had got a glaze and some hairline cracks, but for he didn't put run flat tires on like it was suppose to have done because it came with no spare from the factory, today I bought a Slime Smart Spair Plus Flat Tire Repair Kit just in case I get a flat, I'll wait till those tires wear out then get the run flats. Now I can't wait for warmer weather and the wife and I can take some long day drives with the top down. So now my hobby money is going from the bikes to the car till I get it finished.

I was going to get a mid 80's Alfa Romeo Spider, but I wanted something with more power, and someplace to put the dogs if we go away in it, and I don't like Mustangs and Camaros because everyone has one of those, this Lexus you don't see many of them around.
Old 02-20-24, 09:29 PM

Bikes: too many and not enough

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I’ve got around 6-8 bikes usually, too many but whatever…most fully functional with a few bare frames.

I tend to ride my ti gravel the most but the rest get equal playing time, and all serve varying purposes … it’s why they all exist imo.
Old 02-22-24, 01:17 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I can buy any bike and for less than $100 make it as good as new with new tires and new shift and brake cables and some grease on the bearings. Any bike made in the last 20 years is likely to have brifter gear and brake changers and a 9-speed cassette and in the last 10 years it is likely to have hydraulic disc brakes.

I have two road bikes with one of them a relatively lightweight Class 3 e-bike, two mountain bikes with one a hardtail and the other a full suspension bike. Up until a couple years ago I also had a custom bike that I had a custom frame made in 1976 and a Dave Scott criterium bike. I got rid of those two bikes as I had stopped riding them.

I will be selling the hardtail bike sometime this year as I tend to use the full suspension bike most of the time.
Old 02-22-24, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
I was one-bike-for-9-to-16-months through my 20s despite usually owning 2-4 bikes through those years. I mainly rode fixed and just kept buying new-to-me framesets and figuring out my preferred fit for different riding moods.

I’ve now got 4 Road bikes and one classic Rigid MTB in touring build with fat slicks, fenders, front rack, & high-wide gears.

My main Road bike is a 58cm 60s French racing winter trainer with fenders and a fixed rear wheel. VO Postino bars flat & slammed. It usually gets out at least three times a week for 30-50 mile round trips. Very smooth riding fork. Sublime city riding.

My favorite bike is a 54cm 80s Japanese racer with modern wheels that I barely fit alloy fenders in and has 11-34 cassette & 52-34 rings. Wide Dimension Arc bars flat & slammed. It comes out at least once a week but usually is doing long miles. Perfect steering. Smooth frame, slightly stiffer fork. Magic flying carpet. Totally telepathic riding.

Roadie #3 is a 56cm 80s American, flashy paint, no fenders, RB-009 drophorns, light, a little too springy, rides amazing below 20mph, speedwobbles over 22. It winds up being used a few times a year to commute just because it looks cool and probably 10-20x for shredding dirt trails at the local state park. It’s my preferred trail bike. This one feels the most “alive”. Great climber. Someday I’ll do a weight weenie/hillclimb build on it.

Roadie #4 is 56cm modern 853 & carbon and rides great over 30mph but is boring as heck below that. Very stiff and the steering is weird. I’ve tried a few different bars but deviating from stock only makes the steering worse. No fenders. I really only keep it for some sentimentality. It also has great paint and I commute on it 5-10x per year and take it on a few group rides per year. This one also gets some dirt trail use a few times per year. It’s primarily just a backup bike. It is the All The Other Bikes Are Broken Bike.

The Rigid is chrome with yellow soft bits. It is hawt looking. It gets used locally when I’ve got to carry more than half a backpack of stuff somewhere or I just feel like styling around town. I bunnyhop it a lot- I imagine that’s gotta be a bizarre view for folks when I’ve got both panniers on the front.

Sometimes I do get into a 6-20 week run of only riding one of the bikes. It really hasn’t happened with the 853 bike- the most that has gotten is 3 weeks.