Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Body weight vs bike weight

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Body weight vs bike weight

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-20, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Losing 20lbs will help considerably on the climbs - been there, done that.
Well now I need to bike more and eat less I guess!
Old 10-04-20, 12:10 PM

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 122 Posts
I ran one of my fastest marathons when I weight about 180 pounds did it in 3:10. My PR is 3:06 at 172. I am not overweight but at some point I lose muscle mass and today at 169 pounds I don't ride any faster than than a few years ago at around 175. Bike weight matters when climbing by far. On the flats those bigger guys can move. The real answer is body weight matters if you are overweight.
Old 10-04-20, 03:22 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,313 Times in 2,951 Posts
Bike weight should never exceed body weight.
Old 10-04-20, 03:33 PM
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you loose every pound you can from your body and your bike is heavy, then you still have more to loose..

never mind

Last edited by Bigbus; 10-04-20 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-04-20, 04:16 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
never mind
Oh that's okay. I figure picking is a form of flattery. I did mean lose. When I see some of the stuff I've written a few minutes after I post it, I'm amazed how I mix up such words. I'd swear I didn't write that, but I did! <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-04-20, 06:55 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachPC
In my opinion weight is weight; riding a bicycle is combination of Body + Bike Weight.

If I lost 3lbs of body weight or decided to ride by removing 3lbs of component weight from my bike the total weight reduced is still the same.

When I lost 10lbs one summer I was as fast as I had ever been on the bike - I could never find a way to remove 10lbs of component/frame weight from my bike (it only weighs 14lbs as it is).
Your Litespeed weighs 14 lbs? Specs?
Old 10-04-20, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
Let me take a wild guess: ultralight carbon and aluminum parts only! 14lbs is rather common for weight weenies, the fact that 15lbs is the regulation minimum for racing indicates that a lot of people have sub-15lbs bikes
Old 10-05-20, 04:19 AM

Bikes: 2006 Litespeed Firenze

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462

It's 14.1 / 6.39 kg to be exact lol
I never really tried to make it super light or made a conscious effort to shave weight, it basically came this way- I just added wheels
Firenze frame, Ultegra 6600 components, HP design carbon fork, CC headset, Ritchey seat post, FSA ceramic bottom bracket, Bontrager XXX wheels
Old 10-05-20, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Most people need to try and justify upgrading their already expensive bicycles.
It’s not uncommon in other sports/hobbies but pound for pound(pun intended)cycling is at or near the top of the list for upgradeitis.
This is usually when the cost of sailing or owning an airplane or spaceship get referenced lol.
Old 10-05-20, 06:04 AM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
weight is weight, at the end of the day. However that 2lb off the bike will likely be noticeable because it occurs instantaneously

Not instant, but certainly in the short term: starting a ride with two full water bottles and finishing with two empty ones. That's about four pounds.

I don't notice that.
Old 10-05-20, 07:14 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Most people need to try and justify upgrading their already expensive bicycles.
It’s not uncommon in other sports/hobbies but pound for pound(pun intended)cycling is at or near the top of the list for upgradeitis.
This is usually when the cost of sailing or owning an airplane or spaceship get referenced lol.
I agree, but in those pursuits there are better data, and usually a consensus, on the effect of upgrades. Everyone has more money than you do and they don't criticize you for spending "boat units," and, best of all, no one tells you to upgrade your pitiful, weak, body.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-06-20, 06:10 PM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
2# difference can't be felt. Not at all. Not in the least. Anyone saying they can feel 2# lighter overall when riding a bike is lying to you or to themselves. If an average enthusiast male cyclist is 170#, they are 190#(at least) with clothing and bike gear. Changing that to 188# is basically a 1% change in overall weight. Nope, not gonna feel it. And since many are over 170#, that weight difference is an even smaller % for them.
Pff, 2 pounds? Lol. I can feel the difference 150g makes, if it's the bars or seat or rims or tyres. The bike might not be faster, but it sure feels faster.
Old 10-06-20, 06:42 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,499 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Pff, 2 pounds? Lol. I can feel the difference 150g makes, if it's the bars or seat or rims or tyres. The bike might not be faster, but it sure feels faster.
5oz, huh?
That tracks with your many claims and hot takes that often turn into forum fodder for entertainment.
Old 10-06-20, 10:31 PM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
5oz, huh?
That tracks with your many claims and hot takes that often turn into forum fodder for entertainment.
Oh right, so I have a rep for talking out my arse? A single example would be nice.

Pretty sure I could feel a 100g difference in seat or bars, to up the stakes. I was being conservative. Seems to me you haven't done much bike upgrading...

And to head off any straw manning, I'll repeat it'd make stuff-all difference to speed. Bike would definitely feel snappier with 100g less up top though, without a doubt.

Last edited by Kimmo; 10-06-20 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Not instant, but certainly in the short term: starting a ride with two full water bottles and finishing with two empty ones. That's about four pounds.

I don't notice that.
I feel the same way, but to be fair, at the beginning of a ride your legs are fresh.
Old 10-07-20, 12:49 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I can feel the difference in bike weight between my 24 lb steel bike and sub-20 lb carbon bikes. Can't say it translates to consistent speed increases.

Ditto, carrying stuff on the bike vs in my jersey pockets. Feels different. Doesn't translate to consistent differences in speed. When I put my mini-pump, spare tube and patch kit in a jersey pocket rather than on the bike, the bike *feels* lighter and more responsive. The slight added weight on my body *feels* like it might be helping a bit with acceleration when I stand to stomp the pedals. But none of that works out to any data that leans one way or the other.

But I don't race or do anything that would benefit from lighter weight overall or lighter wheels for quicker acceleration. Our terrain is mostly rollers, lots of short, steep-ish hillettes, and it's rare to find a steady climb that lasts longer than a couple of minutes without at least a short flat or slight downhill. Once I'm rolling I doubt any of it matters.

Biggest single improvement I could make would be aero gains, but with a gimpy neck there are limits to how long I can hold an aero tuck. So even a TT/tri-bike wouldn't gain me much, although the weight wouldn't matter much either. When I've used aero bars I averaged the same modest speed gain on my 1989 road bike with old Scott aero bars and on a mid-2000s time trial bike with more comfortable Profile carbon aero bars. All that mattered was getting low, not the weight or shape of the bike.
Likes For canklecat: