Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Heavy Bikes are better !

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Heavy Bikes are better !

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20, 10:11 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Here you go, just substitute bicycle for car:
You added that parenthesis at the end.

Anyway, in still air, that holds true as speed over ground will match speed through air. That is the only time the two will meet. Which website did you copy/paste it from?

Of course the formula looks a little different when you have to take BOTH the speed of the vehicle and the wind into account (. It is, however, again, the same if only the wind is moving OR only the vehicle is moving. Both moving, you add/subtract the two (depending on headwind or tailwind) and then calculate the effective drag.

In any case, wind tunnels work for air drag because it doesn't matter if the air moves or the vehicle moves. The air hits and goes around the object at the same speed.
So that example does not in fact back up what you are saying. Especially not the parts where it matters (according to you) whether the vehicle is propelled by tyres or by, well, a propeller.

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-30-20 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-30-20, 10:18 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
You added that parenthesis at the end.
No.
Anyway, in still air, that holds true as speed over ground will match speed through air. That is the only time the two will meet. Which website did you copy/paste it from?
It's actually just from good ole Wikipedia, so you can confirm yourself I didn't add the parenthetical statement. I can provide other more rigorous references, but you should let me know your physics background so I can provide something appropriate to your level of expertise. A
In any case, wind tunnels work for air drag because it doesn't matter if the air moves or the vehicle moves. The air hits and goes around the object at the same speed.
So that example does not in fact back up what you are saying. Especially not the parts where it matters (according to you) whether the vehicle is propelled by tyres or by, well, a propeller.
Wind tunnels measure aerodynamic forces, not the power required to overcome aerodynamic drag.
Old 10-30-20, 10:27 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

No.

It's actually just from good ole Wikipedia, so you can confirm yourself I didn't add the parenthetical statement. I can provide other more rigorous references, but you should let me know your physics background so I can provide something appropriate to your level of expertise. A
Then in their example, they're calculating it in still air. The other example does not support your assertions at all.

Wind tunnels measure aerodynamic forces, not the power required to overcome aerodynamic drag.
Drag, lift, and so on ARE aerodynamic forces. And if you have the drag number, you can calculate the power needed to overcome it. So, yes, you can calculate the power needed. In fact, in your wikipedia example, they are calculating just that with how much power is needed to go through the air at a given speed. It's the same calculation in a frigging wind tunnel.

I can't be bothered anymore with you on this topic. I have given up on Cubewheels, and then you come in and make further multiple unsubstantiated claims, and completely misrepresenting what the various formulas actually says.
Old 10-30-20, 10:40 PM

Then in their example, they're calculating it in still air.
I'm starting to wonder if you can read:

When the fluid is moving relative to the reference system (e.g. a car driving into headwind) the power required to overcome the aerodynamic drag is given by:

Where is the wind speed and is the object speed (both relative to ground).

Drag, lift, and so on ARE aerodynamic forces. And if you have the drag number, you can calculate the power needed to overcome it. So, yes, you can calculate the power needed. In fact, in your wikipedia example, they are calculating just that with how much power is needed to go through the air at a given speed. It's the same calculation in a frigging wind tunnel.
Yes it does. And it clearly states the power depends on the square of the airspeed (vw + vo) multiplied by the ground speed (vo).

I can't be bothered anymore with you on this topic. I have given up on Cubewheels, and then you come in and make further multiple unsubstantiated claims, and completely misrepresenting what the various formulas actually says.
The formulas are pretty clear.

Just out of curiosity, what is your level of physics training?
Old 10-31-20, 04:34 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
imho wrong in so many ways..... mostly heavy bikes are cheaper with cheaper components requiring more repair. Heavy does not mean rugged, it just means heavy, often because of cheap components, heavy tubing ,etc.
riding a bike should be a joy, I don't get joy out of riding something heavy and ill suited for the riding your are doing.

Life is too short to not to ride your best lightest bike as much as you can

This whole discussion is kind of a throwback to conventional wisdom of the 1960s. Schwinns were heavy and relatively expensive, but generally built like a tank. Huffy and Murray were a little lighter and much cheaper, but also more prone to breakage. When families had more kids, a kid's Schwinn was considered a bit of an investment because it would be a hand me down.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-31-20 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-31-20, 04:50 AM
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
Very true. I was quite suspicious of the whole idea of light bikes back then, thinking it to be some Huffy-Murray collusion designed to get people to buy cheap bikes that broke faster. Besides, 4 out of 5 experts back then agreed, heavy Schwinns with balloon tires were the way to go.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-31-20, 08:56 AM
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by cubewheels
It doesn't seem like he is capable of accepting the truth if it challenged his personal beliefs. Just like arguing about religion, better leave it alone.
Yeah, not being able to use math (as you two aren't capable of) somehow validates the notion that the two of you are able to cheat physics. Seriously, the both of you need to take a course - not only in math, but also in aerodynamics (i.e. the dynamics of air flow). Maths and physics are not "personal beliefs". They are facts. You cannot cheat physics even if you cheat with the maths. Reality will beat you down.

And, Cube, maybe you should take a hard look at yourself and your posts before spouting such things. You are once again projecting.. The irony of that last statement of yours is so thick you can cut it.

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-31-20 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-31-20, 10:30 AM
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
LOL, the force acting against you is the same. Obviously, to roll at 80 kph would take a very tall gear, but you'd be fighting the same headwind (forces). It's physics.

Maybe also look up what gearing does. it might be helpful.

Haha, sure, you have. And if they can push 10 kph into a 60 kph headwind, they could do 70 kph in no wind with a large enough chainring. Somehow that is very dubious.
One last try: yes, the force is the same. The power requirement is the dot product of force and rider speed. So the power requirements are not the same.

If I straddle the bike and stand in a 60 mph headwind, my power requirement is zero. If I ride in still air at 60 mph, the power requirement is enormous, but as you have noted, the force of air drag is the same. Don’t know if that will help explain things or not at this point.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-31-20, 10:41 AM
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by ofajen
One last try: yes, the force is the same. The power requirement is the dot product of force and rider speed. So the power requirements are not the same.
Yes, one last time: Wind resistance (= air drag) is the result of the object going through the air. The reason it changes with rider speed is that your speed-through-the-air changes. It has naught to do with your groundspeed.

If I straddle the bike and stand in a 60 mph headwind, my power requirement is zero.
Yes, that's about torque. But the drag won't change. The wind resistant - the force pushing backwards are the same. Of course at 0 speed over ground, the force required to stay in the same place is superceded by friction. Hence why you use windtunnels. You can tie down the object and get the drag numbers and calculate the power needed to move.

If I ride in still air at 60 mph, the power requirement is enormous, but as you have noted, the force of air drag is the same. Don’t know if that will help explain things or not at this point.
Your explainations of why your misunderstanding are correct doesn't actually make them right.
Because for you to actually move in those winds you need a certain amount of power. For you to stand still, you just need friction. The drag, the wind resistance doesn't change, hence we can use wind tunnels. And we can use wind tunnels because when the air is going over an object at 60 mph, it doesn't matter if the object is still and the air moves at 60 mph or the object moves at 60 mph in still air. The power needed to MOVE in those circumstances are the same.

To put it another way: When you are standing still in 60 mph wind, the force, the power is in the wind (literally). That you can use your brakes and contact patch to stay still doesn't mean there is no force applied. That is physics 101. Hell, you leaning into the 60mph wind while straddling the bike is "force applied" just to stand still.
Old 10-31-20, 10:44 AM

To put it another way: When you are standing still in 60 mph wind, the force, the power is in the wind (literally). That you can use your brakes and contact patch to stay still doesn't mean there is no force applied. That is physics 101. Hell, you leaning into the 60mph is "force applied".
Have you taken Physics 101?
Old 10-31-20, 11:18 AM
Cheerfully low end

Perhaps Jobst Brandt does a better job at explaining this:

Wind drag is a nonlinear function of the relative wind. That is, drag does not increase in proportion (linearly) to wind but rather with the square of its speed relative to the rider. Relative wind-speed is the sum of wind and rider speed, which in still air is equal to rider speed. Direct head- and tailwinds can be combined by addition with rider speed to give relative wind-speed.Although inline winds add to or subtract directly from drag, they do not similarly affect the power required to overcome that drag. For instance, standing still in a 15mph wind requires no power because power is the product of inline drag and rider speed.

Drag is proportional to the square of relative wind-speed while power is the product of the inline portion of that drag and rider speed.”

For the full discussion that also addresses crosswinds and tailwinds, see:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/wind.html

Update: I went back and emphasized the main point on this topic.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 10-31-20 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-31-20, 01:51 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Have you taken Physics 101?
I think you know what "Physics 101" almost always means when someone throws it out as they "argue physics".
Old 10-31-20, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't agree with the "poking fun" part of that, I think he's utterly sincere, and while I'm not going to defend his wind physics, I also think a lot of the stuff he comes up with are ingenious ways of coping with the demands of riding in the Philippines, and with a very limited budget.
This is all we ask, that our posters look at unorthodox posts and posters with an open mind before labeling them a troll. Everyone isn't the same, so don't be surprised to find someone who thinks differently than you.

Now just look at the relatively wonderful discussion that has materialized.

Last edited by BillyD; 10-31-20 at 04:06 PM.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 10-31-20, 04:06 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I think you know what "Physics 101" almost always means when someone throws it out as they "argue physics".
That it is basic physics that shouldn't need to be explained to anyone arguing aerodynamic drag?

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-31-20 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-31-20, 05:02 PM
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by BillyD
This is all we ask, that our posters look at unorthodox posts and posters with an open mind before labeling them a troll. Everyone isn't the same, so don't be surprised to find someone who thinks differently than you.

Now just look at the relatively wonderful discussion that has materialized.
Yeah, I experienced this wind thing first hand today and having run some numbers during this discussion clarifies why the power requirement varies for the same relative wind speed.

I did a nice long ride with steady 15 mph wind from the south. Towards the back half of the ride I’m riding out directly into the wind and had to work really hard to keep up a speed of 15 mph.

This handy wattage calculator

https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/cycling-wattage

estimates that I (175 lbs plus 25 lb bike on gravel surface) had to pedal at about 350 watts to keep my speed at 15 mph. I believe it. Hard enough to turn around and be glad to go home.

On the same bike and surface with no wind, this calculator indicates I’d need to do twice that (700 watts) to ride that same stretch at 30 mph (the same relative wind speed).

It will probably not come as a surprise to know that I don’t ride that stretch anywhere near that speed.

And of course, if I drop the speed to zero in the face of a 30 mph wind, the calculator properly indicates zero watts.

Update: out of curiosity, in the face of a 30 mph headwind, if I pedal at 350 watts, I can go 9.2 mph (for a little while...)

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 10-31-20 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-31-20, 06:25 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I'm an admitted physics illiterate, but I've now been convinced that I was wrong to disagree that the power requirements for riding 15 kph into a 15 kph headwind are considerably less than riding 30 kph with no wind. I also think I've figured out how to explain why (not how much) to physics dummies like myself.
Perhaps a physics literate can be so kind as to check my logic.

​​​​​​It's actually very simple--you expend no energy to create the drag from the 15 kph headwind when you ride 15 kph into it. When you increase your speed from 15 kph to 30 kph with no wind, you are both generating the energy to increase the drag AND the energy needed to overcome the additional drag. That make sense?

Another way to put this is I've got to spin the rear wheel the same rate wind or no wind to maintain 15 kph regardless of air speed so I'm doing that against a combined 30 kph air flow with a 15 kph headwind, while increasing from 15 to 30 kph with no wind requires me to spin my rear wheel twice as fast into the same 30 kph air flow.

Note- edited to fix typo in first paragraph pointed out below.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-31-20 at 09:39 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 06:36 PM
Cheerfully low end

I'm an admitted physics illiterate, but I've now been convinced that I was wrong to agree that the power requirements for riding 15 kph into a 15 kph headwind are considerably less than riding 30 kph with no wind. I also think I've figured out how to explain why (not how much) to physics dummies like myself.

​​​​​​It's actually very simple--you expend no energy to create the drag from the 15 kph headwind when you ride 15 kph into it. When you increase your speed from 15 kph to 30 kph with no wind, you are both generating the energy to increase the drag AND the energy needed to overcome the additional drag. That make sense?
The second part does make sense, but the earlier statement isn’t correct. The power requirement for riding 15 kph into a 15 kph wind IS less than riding 30 kph in still air, though the drag force is the same in both cases. Perhaps you said the opposite of what you intended? Or maybe I’m reading it wrong?

For example, riding 15 mph into 15 mph wind today needed 350 watts, while riding the same stretch at 30 mph in still air would require 700 watts. With no wind, at 350 watts, I could make about 23.2 mph (for a little while...)

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 10-31-20 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-31-20, 06:54 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 5,664 Times in 2,929 Posts
Fizik. Nice bike seats, purchased without resistance. My last physics class was in high school, so I will stick to bike seats. But not literally.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-31-20, 06:58 PM

Another way to put this is I've got to spin the rear wheel the same rate wind or no wind to maintain 15 kph regardless of air speed so I'm doing that against a combined 30 kph air flow with a 15 kph headwind, while increasing from 15 to 30 kph with no wind requires me to spin my rear wheel twice as fast into the same 30 kph air flow.
I think you pretty much have it. I'd restate it as: The force required to overcome the aerodynamic drag is the same in both cases, so the torque at the back wheel is the same. Traveling at 30 kph requires twice the angular velocity at the back wheel, however, so the power (torque x angular velocity) is double.
Old 10-31-20, 07:00 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

I'm an admitted physics illiterate, but I've now been convinced that I was wrong to agree that the power requirements for riding 15 kph into a 15 kph headwind are considerably less than riding 30 kph with no wind. I also think I've figured out how to explain why (not how much) to physics dummies like myself.

Not really. The only additional drag when you yourself are moving are the rolling resistance. The drag through the air is the same whether you are going 15 + 15 headwinds as you going 30 in no wind. You are moving through the air at the same speed.
You do create drag when riding 15 kph into a 15 kph headwind. That is a combined airspeed of 30 kmh. When you go 15 kph in still air, you still create the drag of going through the air at 15 kph. It is simply not true that if you go 15kph (even in still air) that you do not create drag.

[
]Another way to put this is I've got to spin the rear wheel the same rate wind or no wind to maintain 15 kph regardless of air speed so I'm doing that against a combined 30 kph air flow with a 15 kph headwind, while increasing from 15 to 30 kph with no wind requires me to spin my rear wheel twice as fast into the same 30 kph air flow.
No, that's not true. It doesn't matter one bit as the bottom of the wheel will then move relatively slower (because the ground then moves faster under your bike) into the same speed of air going over it.
If you're talking about acceleration, then that is of course a matter of weight vs. power too and have absolutely nothing to do with aerodynamics.

Again, if any of the nonsense the other were saying were true, we couldn't calculate power needed based on drag, we would have no fluid dynamics (air is a fluid too), no testing tanks would work, nor would wind tunnels, and planes, boats, bicycles, and so on would suddenly experience less resistance the moment they stopped their propulsion. Planes would fall out of the sky because according to those three, the resistance (lift vs. drag) suddenly increase when power is applied, and hence is decimated when the propulsion is cut off.

It is beyond ridiculous. They have no idea about the implications of their claims.

Edited to ADD:

It may be beyond the three others, but you can test all of this out yourself very easily:

RIde 15kph in 15 kph TAILwind. You will feel no wind because of the very simple reason that you move at the exact same speed as the wind. The only thing you have to overcome is the rolling resistance.

Also, there is a reason that planes always try to land and take off into a headwind: Because when they do, they don't have to get as much over-ground speed in order to create the lift needed to take off and land (= shorter landings and take-offs). Because what matters when it comes to drag and lift is the speed through the air.

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-31-20 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-31-20, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
That it is basic physics that shouldn't need to be explained to anyone arguing aerodynamic drag?
No, it's because people who want to argue and then say "it's basic physics" tend to be missing something. Nothing personal - I myself will re-examine my own conclusions if I'm ever tempted to say "basic physics".

I'm not going to argue. Physics is not an argument. Look at the well-known power equation already supplied by tomatocoupe, understand it, and that's the physics.
Old 10-31-20, 07:15 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

Another way to test it is to go out in a boat in waters with a well defined current going on. You will find that it is not your speed over the bottom of the sea that matters to your steering and speed, but the speed you're going through the water.
Old 10-31-20, 07:23 PM

Another way to test it is to go out in a boat in waters with a well defined current going on. You will find that it is not your speed over the bottom of the sea that matters to your steering and speed, but the speed you're going through the water.
That's absolutely, 100% correct. But, it doesn't apply to bicycles ...
Old 10-31-20, 07:25 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by wphamilton
No, it's because people who want to argue and then say "it's basic physics" tend to be missing something. Nothing personal - I myself will re-examine my own conclusions if I'm ever tempted to say "basic physics".
You do that. Fluid dynamics is a settled science, and when people can't even get their head around the basics of physics, maybe they shouldn't attempt to tackle fluid dynamics.

I'm not going to argue. Physics is not an argument. Look at the well-known power equation already supplied by tomatocoupe, understand it, and that's the physics.
I do understand it. But that equation can only be equated to speed through the air if the air is still. It's from there he applies all sorts of hoops, revealing he has no grasp of what it is he copy/pasting.

I already agreed that at zero winds, speed over ground is the same as speed through the air. Just like speed over ground will be the same as speed through the water if there are no currents. But that is the ONLY point that is true.

How fast can a hot air baloon fly through the air? 0 mphs (apart from inertia in gusts etc.). Now, how fast ca a baloon fly in a jet stream? The answer is the same, only if it was in the fastest jet stream ever, it would have gone 231 mph over the ground.
Now, if ground speed mattered to how much drag it has and even has no propulsion, how would that even be possible?

If you guys want to argue that it matters that your propulsion is connected to the ground, you have to show why that would matter one iota.

But fine. The other three doesn't want to argue either. They are happy with copy/pasting things and making up additional stuff to support their claims.

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-31-20 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Paragraphs
Old 10-31-20, 07:47 PM

I do understand it. But that equation can only be equated to speed through the air if the air is still.
I don't think it's possible for it to be stated any more explicitly. Maybe bold, red ink will help ...
When the fluid is moving relative to the reference system (e.g. a car driving into headwind) the power required to overcome the aerodynamic drag is given by:

Where is the wind speed and is the object speed (both relative to ground).

There are many, many references available that state the same results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.