Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Did a paid bike fit work for you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Did a paid bike fit work for you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
After riding for 30 years, I got a $150 Guru fit last year.

It was by far the best $150 I've spent on cycling.
LA area?

Are they generally in that price range, and can you recommend the shop?

No Guru fitters in my area, and may have to drive down there.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-17, 09:48 PM
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by mjrLV
LA area?

Are they generally in that price range, and can you recommend the shop?

No Guru fitters in my area, and may have to drive down there.

Thanks.

Yes, the shop is in the LA area. It's called "The Cyclery", and it's in La Mirada.
Old 06-13-17, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The one full bike fit I paid for I got because I was ordering a made-to-measure frame, so I guess it worked for me because I am comfortable on the bike and couldn't have gotten it otherwise. The bike was assembled by another shop (where they'll arrange to spend an hour or so fitting your bike if you want to pay for that, but don't take measurements to build a frame), where an assembly fitting that took about an hour was included. However, I have since lowered the stem, after which riding out of the saddle felt more smooth and natural.

Aside from the time I had a misaligned cleat, and the times I've ridden a Citibike where the saddle wouldn't stay up, I've never had the feeling that a less than ideal fit has led to any discomfort or serious degradation of performance, but I have often had the feeling that with a perfected fit, things would "fall into place" more naturally, and things would run more smoothly. But I also feel that I, myself, adjust to the varying arrangements of bikes I ride, and after a while, what felt perfect now feels a little off, and what once felt off now feels perfect.

Last edited by kbarch; 06-13-17 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-13-17, 07:30 AM

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I got a bike fit and he stretched me out on the bike.

I'm 6'4, and he suggested a 140 mm stem and 46 bars. This reduced wind resistance and made me more comfortable.

I increased my usual 20 mile route speed by 2 mph. (18.6 mph) I did a 75 mile ride and average 17.6 and I'm usually a 16 mph rider.
Old 06-13-17, 07:59 AM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I've had three over the last decade, ranging from $200 to $350, not including new parts.

The first in 2008 didn't solve Achilles pain, but I learned my saddle was too low.

The second in 2014 (retul with very experienced coach) didn't solve my main issue, back pain. But retul confirmed my knees already tracking perfectly. Ok, so what?

The third, 2016 with a biomechanics PhD who came to my home (cool), didn't solve knee or back pain. But my right leg pedal stroke was smoothed by moving cleats all the way back.

So, mixed results. Don't expect miracles.
Old 06-13-17, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thegreydog
Come to find out, my left knee was popping out while coming up and going a couple inches left, this was due to my seat being too high and my left leg longer. He set seat height based on shorter leg, brought seat back to allow clearance for left to stay in line and lined my cleats up. All in all about thirty mins. Cost was $30. Best money I have spent thus far. Felt a little different at first, but no pain. With that said, a seat an
I'm not a fitter, but wouldn't the appropriate fix here be to shim the cleat on your short leg? Seems to me, setting the seat height based on your short leg, robs power from the long leg and could put excess strain on the knee.
Old 06-13-17, 08:26 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I sorted it out (through self examination) before the fitting session was a thing you paid for..

Old 06-14-17, 08:34 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SCRcat6
I'm not a fitter, but wouldn't the appropriate fix here be to shim the cleat on your short leg? Seems to me, setting the seat height based on your short leg, robs power from the long leg and could put excess strain on the knee.

I do fittings and thought the same thing. Generally I'd set the bike up for the longer leg and shim the shorter one so they "even out". But I also don't want to be critical of someone else's work because sometimes you don't get the whole story.

FWIW, I've never ridden a bike in my life (since 9 years old) that was not set up (aka fitted) somehow. Of course this has changed over the years as has frame geometries and the like, but if you are going to ride a lot of miles you need some type of setup. And as has been pointed out to some degree, there are levels of fittings. Not everybody needs to do the top setup. We have Retul and also a Cyclocomputer with Spinscan which is less expensive.

the best is when a customer comes back and says they finally finished that century they never could before because they were pain free and riding comfortably.
Old 06-14-17, 08:55 AM
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was laser/computer fit for my cyclocross bike several years back. from that position I translated it to the road bike and I raised the seat by about 1cm and lowered the bars gradually over time.
That bike fit has been the foundation for all the reach/stack of my other bikes.
It helped me find some hidden power in my hamstrings.
My shoulders feel locked in, and my seat doesn't hinder me no matter the seat.
I've done 21 hours on the bike before only stopping for food and natural breaks.

It wasn't a cheap fit. $200 + parts (stem, wider bars)
Old 06-14-17, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I have not had a professional fit, but I would suggest simply trying to get local recommendations of fitters/shops in your area from other cyclists. What I do think is likely the case is that not all fitters and systems are equal. Not sure where you reside, but you could post a query in this thread, or alternatively in the appropriate forum here Regional Discussions - Bike Forums
Absolutely. I resisted the idea when I just got my latest bike but after having issues with my handles while riding (and after) I decided to do a fit.

I gained comfort, no more tingling and also gained performance.

Plus you can keep those setting for the future.

Just make sure is a certified fitter and a good shop with good equipment.

I got it using a Guru system.
Old 06-14-17, 04:25 PM

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I scheduled a fit with a local fitter who also specializes in physical therapy for cyclists. He is also known for supporting local cycling events for the last 20 years as well as cycling charities that get bikes into the hands of the disadvantaged in the US and around the world.

He has fitted literally 100s of my fellow club members with only one or two complaining about the experience.

For $125, it seems pretty reasonable for such a well respected member of the local cycling.

Report back early next week on how it went. Expecting 101+ temps this weekend, so might not get to go our riding.
Old 06-17-17, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
Yes, the shop is in the LA area. It's called "The Cyclery", and it's in La Mirada.
I will be having my very first bike fitting on Cyclery sometime next week, base on your experience,what
advice can you give me to make it an optimal experience? My goal is to be comfortable on the bike for long rides.
Any particular tips you can share? Im having the Guru fitting system done and honestly i dont know what to expect.
Old 06-17-17, 03:23 PM
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by greenterror
I will be having my very first bike fitting on Cyclery sometime next week, base on your experience,what
advice can you give me to make it an optimal experience? My goal is to be comfortable on the bike for long rides.
Any particular tips you can share? Im having the Guru fitting system done and honestly i dont know what to expect.

Don't ride at all for three days prior to the fitting. Bring your bike, shoes, a towel, and a bottle of water. Wear your biking shorts. You'll be riding the machine for about an hour.

Good luck! I hope it's as positive an experience for you as it was for me.
Old 06-17-17, 04:44 PM
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got fitted 7 years ago when I started. It was very precise, took around an hour. It was a system used by Specialized, IIRC.
  • I think it helped, but not much more than the fitting the same shop did before sending me out on a demo ride on a Specialized Roubaix. That fitting only took about 10 minutes.
  • Note: After test riding a 58 cm Roubaix CF bike, I bought a GT 58 cm CF bike on eBay and took it in to be fitted. The fitter (same guy every time) said the bike was too small. The Roubaix 58 isn't equivalent to 58's from other companies.
  • So I bought a 58 cm Roubaix on eBay and had it fitted again about 6 weeks later. It did feel better, although it was not very pronounced. And, FWIW, I rode my first century on the GT, 15.3 average. 8 days later, I rode my second, this on the Roubaix, 15.3 average.
Definitely do it if you have a problem. Probably do it if you can afford it - it's a guy who has studied this and will spend at least an hour studying exactly how it's working for you. $100 would seem the lowest that should cost.
Old 06-17-17, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys! Ill be doing the retrofit since i already have a bike to get fitted to.
Old 06-30-17, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Had my first bike fit - worth the money!

I decided to have a proper bike fit, and although I initially thought the suggested adjustments were odd, the end result was a much more comfortable bike:

https://www.bikeforums.net/19687055-post20.html