Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The grossest commute ever?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The grossest commute ever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 11:53 AM
Lone Star

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding along once under some trees when something very large and warm hit my hand with a liquid splat. First thought was a bird got me but when I looked over it was brown. Can't be sure but I believe, judging by size and consistency, that I was a victim of a rat up in a tree.

No, not a squirrel. I've seen rats climb trees to get at the seed pods. In fact I once had one fall out of a tree and hit the top of the golf cart I was in then scurry away after it bounced off and hit the ground. Maybe it's a matter of time before I get hit by a falling rat while on my bike. Of course that wouldn't be nearly as bad as a tree full of rats and having it rain rat crap on you.
Old 08-25-08, 12:02 PM
Gitane GranTour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay the road kill around here just does not compete with any of this.... Now I feel luck to have ridden past 3 day old roadkill skunk...
Old 08-25-08, 12:17 PM

Bikes: 1976 20" folding Triumph Trafficmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tex_Arcana
I was riding along once under some trees when something very large and warm hit my hand with a liquid splat. First thought was a bird got me but when I looked over it was brown. Can't be sure but I believe, judging by size and consistency, that I was a victim of a rat up in a tree.
Rat crap is generally in the form of little brown/black pellets about the size and shape of raisins. A liquid brown splat could be from... I dunno, a bat, maybe? Also, keep in mind that the white stuff in bird droppings is bird pee. Since all wastes come out of the same place on a bird, they can be mixed. Depending on what a bird is eating, and whether there is any pee ready for launch, a bird dropping can consist of mostly liquid brown splat.

This morning I saw something disturbing, although not yet gross -- a staggering, capsizing pigeon. It was walking in a circle half tipped-over on the sidewalk as if it had a broken leg and was trying to put weight on it. If it had been a mammal I would have called animal control and reported it as rabid. I couldn't see that anything else was wrong with the bird, although in retrospect maybe I should have reported it as a bird in the final stages of West Nile.

Now back to my lunch...

Last edited by Indie; 08-25-08 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-25-08, 02:04 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidLee
Ya have me beat. The nastiest thing I saw on my commute was a dead & very bloated beaver. I smelled it about a half a mile before passing it. It took the county about 10 days before they finally got rid of it.
I saw a dead deer floating hooves up in the creek by the forest preserve this summer. It took me a minute to figure out what it was, and it didn't stink yet. I was really grateful for that too.
Old 08-25-08, 02:08 PM
kila kila kila

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I got puke splatter on my legs standing in line w/ my friend to see Jurassic Park. Apparently, the upchuck chick had too many pancakes for breakfast.

While I wasn't on a bike, nor did I ride to the theater, I feel I should provide some solidarity for those who have been the victim of random puke crimes. You're not alone. PM me and I'll send you details to the support group. I've really come a long way.

Old 08-25-08, 02:49 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ka_Jun
Unless it landed on you, puke dude wins.
Thankfully I was outside of the blast radius.
Unfortunately they detoured us down wind of the incident.
Old 08-25-08, 05:40 PM
It's all about the Ort.

Bikes: Centurion Trac; Carnielli; Ross Mt Hood; TREK 5200.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kila kila kila
I got puke splatter on my legs standing in line w/ my friend to see Jurassic Park. Apparently, the upchuck chick had too many pancakes for breakfast.

While I wasn't on a bike, nor did I ride to the theater, I feel I should provide some solidarity for those who have been the victim of random puke crimes. You're not alone. PM me and I'll send you details to the support group. I've really come a long way.
I might be interested in the Victims of Random Acts of Vomit support group - provided that Marla Singer isn't a member...
Old 08-25-08, 07:30 PM
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wowsers, that's nasty! I'm starting to feel a little queezy after that one...
Old 08-25-08, 07:51 PM
Never get out of the boat

Bikes: Fuji Sportif, Fuji SLM, Sanino Super Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidLee
Ya have me beat. The nastiest thing I saw on my commute was a dead & very bloated beaver. I smelled it about a half a mile before passing it. It took the county about 10 days before they finally got rid of it.
+1 -- except it was a bloated possum corpse. The fact that it died on a serious uphill and I had to hold my breath while dancing in the pedals past it didn't make matters easier. Likewise, it took forever for the local city to remove it. Of course, it had been squished and run over multiple times, before they finally scraped it up with what I'm assuming was a putty knife.

Nothing beats getting puked on. I commend the OP for his commuting achievement!

Should we start an Annual Vomit award? We could call it the vommies. It could be like the Nobel Peace Prize, except... chunkier.
Old 08-26-08, 05:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You win.

Horses (with riders) are quite a common sight on my commute in central London (being something to do with the Queen). I was riding behind a horse which had stopped at a traffic light, and some instinct made me decide to stop WAAAAY back from the horse. Fortunate, as the horse proceeded to lift its tail and poo. Fresh horse poo gives off steam in winter, I worked out.
Old 08-26-08, 08:59 AM
smatte

Bikes: diamondback - sherwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
puke on wins. When riding my motorcycle cross country I caught a luna moth in the face late at night. Was like getting hit with a ballon filled with puss. Squished under and around my goggles.
Old 08-26-08, 09:05 AM
The Haberdasher

Bikes: Panasonic AL-7000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You win, maybe. Dog poo guy is a close second. We need more details about where the puke hit you. Dog poo on the mouth is pretty horrible. This thread is definitely curbing my appetite before lunch.
Old 08-26-08, 09:07 AM
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting passed by a truck hauling pigs is pretty bad. Sometimes there is a mist behind the truck.
Old 08-26-08, 09:46 AM
Clydesdale On Wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Puke-on man is the current gross-out winner and I have nothing in his league.
Old 08-26-08, 09:56 AM
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just gotta say, OP, you should've played the lotto that day. What are the chances of you getting hit by vomit on your commute? That's just crazy in regards to the variables involved. Had portalet guy or horse dung dude gotten hit, you'd be dethroned, but projectile vomit? Dang...that's nuts.
Old 08-26-08, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We weren't on bikes, so it doesn't really count. But it was gross. My sister and I were walking in a park, on a MUP (no bikes besides little kids). There was a smallish flock of grackles ahead, and a tree right above. Judging that the grackles had flown straight up, and by the whte on the path, I figured it would be a good idea to go around that area. My sister, noticing I was avoiding that section, didn't know what was "up" and looked for what I was avoiding in the tree. Looking straight up. With her mouth a little open (You know, like when you're looking up at something). Didn't take too long, she began spitting and yelling and even had a little streak of grey "matter" trickling down her chin. We eventually found something for her to wash her mouth out.
We don't look up around birds anymore.
Old 08-26-08, 05:40 PM
It's all about the Ort.

Bikes: Centurion Trac; Carnielli; Ross Mt Hood; TREK 5200.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think "Bird Poop in Mouth" trumps being puked on.
Old 08-26-08, 10:45 PM
procrastinating member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackGuy
I think "Bird Poop in Mouth" trumps being puked on.
Yep. Minus points for not being on a bike, but might still be the new winner.