Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why aren't frame locks popular in the U.S.?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why aren't frame locks popular in the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-21, 10:20 AM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,012 Times in 1,783 Posts
Well I'm chime in since this has been revived and is actual pertinent to my latest bike purchase. Adding a dutch made Azor bike to my stable for utility use and such. It comes with the frame lock for the rea wheel and to me that was a big plus. I've been having to carry a cable lock of sorts for my current utility bike and as absent minded as I am now I kept losing that lock even though I tried to always keep it in the milk crate. In fact I misplaced it two weeks ago and can't for the life of me find it. Where I live there's a very low chance of someone stealing a bike. So I've gotten by with cheap locks that just prevent a quick mount and ride off type theft. The Frame lock is perfect for that. And it's permanently attached and the key cannot be removed until it is locked. All big pluses for me. I actually paid for an upgraded version that comes with a chain that also fits into a port on the lock for the times I need more security.

The good ones don't fall off and don't rattle and while I wouldn't even consider one on any of my road bikes they are perfect for some of my other ones.

No quick releases on the wheels either so that will help.

In fact for my needs in some cases I think it's a quite good fit. So much so I'm thinking of adding one to my Guv'nor too.

Be nice to have one on here for quick in and outs if making a coffee shop run or just a quick break while out on a cruising ride.
Old 05-05-21, 10:22 AM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by seibaatgung
A frame lock seems like less of a deal to me because it is kind of small and not prone to jiggling.
Yep always there for when you need it and your really not going to notice it otherwise.
Old 05-05-21, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Well I'm chime in since this has been revived and is actual pertinent to my latest bike purchase. Adding a dutch made Azor bike to my stable for utility use and such. It comes with the frame lock for the rea wheel and to me that was a big plus. I've been having to carry a cable lock of sorts for my current utility bike and as absent minded as I am now I kept losing that lock even though I tried to always keep it in the milk crate. In fact I misplaced it two weeks ago and can't for the life of me find it. Where I live there's a very low chance of someone stealing a bike. So I've gotten by with cheap locks that just prevent a quick mount and ride off type theft. The Frame lock is perfect for that. And it's permanently attached and the key cannot be removed until it is locked. All big pluses for me. I actually paid for an upgraded version that comes with a chain that also fits into a port on the lock for the times I need more security.

The good ones don't fall off and don't rattle and while I wouldn't even consider one on any of my road bikes they are perfect for some of my other ones.

No quick releases on the wheels either so that will help.

In fact for my needs in some cases I think it's a quite good fit. So much so I'm thinking of adding one to my Guv'nor too.

Be nice to have one on here for quick in and outs if making a coffee shop run or just a quick break while out on a cruising ride.
Is that front rack welded to the frame? Is the frame lock?
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Yep always there for when you need it and your really not going to notice it otherwise.
Doesn't look like it weighs much either.
Old 05-05-21, 10:46 AM

Is that front rack welded to the frame? Is the frame lock?

Doesn't look like it weighs much either.
The rack fits into those tubes attached to the frame for easy removal when you don't need it. Has a large weight capacity and being mounted to the frame instead of the wheel means it doesn't affect handing like a more normal setup. Mine will stay hanging up in the garage unless needed.

The frame locks are not welded on that I have seen. They have a hidden/ one time mounting setup that does resist someone just removing them. Like anything I'm sure someone knowledgeable can quickly defeat them. Several youtube videos that show the install.
Old 05-05-21, 12:15 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
3 locks? U lock, Chain, and frame lock - going to add a folding lock and an attack dog next?
The folding lock wouldn't give me anything I don't already have, but with an attack dog, I would be able to play with his soft floppy ears.

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
You should check if the poster is still riding, you are referring to a 5 year old post and the individual has not posted for 3 years! Maybe his bike was stolen and was not able to replace it.
Nope, my bike is very secure.

For no particular reason, I wanted to have a break from this forum, but I will properly return with a vengeance in 2022, after I have put my home gym together and I have acquired an e-bike.(wait to you see what I intend to use to secure that. )
Old 05-09-21, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I occasionally go to a bakery in a strip mall without a bike rack or useable poles. If I'm in the bakery for a sit-down and/or use the bathroom, I lock my bike out on the sidewalk and it's out of my sight. Or I lock it to the trash receptacle in front of the bakery. It's in eyesight though I'm paranoid the bike could be hit with crap by someone with bad aim. If it's quick stop, I lean the bike against bakery window and put a u-lock through the pedal crank.
Old 05-09-21, 12:13 PM
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
I know there are add-on frame locks, but they work a lot better on frames built for them. Which are usually so heavy you wouldn't notice an extra half pound from the lock.
Old 05-09-21, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by howardv
Neighbor recently had their bike stolen while they were buying water at 7-11. They had leaned their bike against the glass outside and it was gone. Then I was talking to an employee of an LBS and he went for fast food and leaned his bike against the glass, within eyeshot, and some guy jump and take off with it. He gave chase (running), but couldn't catch up. I've had bikes stolen in the past by leaving it "for just a second" while I run into the store.

As easy as it is to break a lock in seconds, it appears a lot of bikes get stolen that were never locked. And that's because we get lazy. We don't want to carry heavy locks on our rides, find a poll, etc. It seems a frame lock is the perfect solution for that quick in n' out type of situation. And I do see it being used in Europe, but it's very rare in the U.S.

If you've never seen one, this is a frame lock.
I have one on my bike and its easy to use and spring loaded. also it has the same key as my other bike locks and my garage. so I only need one key for it all.
Old 05-09-21, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I have one on my bike and its easy to use and spring loaded. also it has the same key as my other bike locks and my garage. so I only need one key for it all.
Did you buy them altogether?
Old 05-09-21, 02:28 PM

Did you buy them altogether?
they are all from ABUS you can go through a few places to get their locks all keyed alike. it. costs more. but we have my e bike the e tandem that has two battery licks two bike locks one cafe lock and a disc pad lock all keyed the same. but you pay a bit more plus the add 10% and shipping onto it. if interested. I can get you the link. but for us to have 7 locks with the same key was worth it.
Old 05-09-21, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
they are all from ABUS you can go through a few places to get their locks all keyed alike. it. costs more. but we have my e bike the e tandem that has two battery licks two bike locks one cafe lock and a disc pad lock all keyed the same. but you pay a bit more plus the add 10% and shipping onto it. if interested. I can get you the link. but for us to have 7 locks with the same key was worth it.
Could you message me the link? I'm primarily interested in a frame lock on both my front and rear wheel; is that the setup you have?
Old 05-09-21, 08:12 PM

no I have it on back then a folding lock for overall locking. th bad part is they don't have their best locks on the list you need to know the lock you need.
https://propelbikes.com/locks-security/
Old 05-10-21, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
youtube guy picked a brand-name frame lock in under 30 sec.

Old 05-10-21, 09:45 AM
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I can't believe I read this entire thread (slow morning) and not one mention of simply setting the parking brakes. Most idiots don't even realize bikes have them, like the old fart that picked up my bike, spun it around and put it on the ground and pushed forward while trying to jump on and take off. The wheels didn't turn and he crashed against a bench outside the store I was in getting my coffee. I ran out in time to see him limping around the corner and my bike lying on the sidewalk. My new to me bike got its first scratches that day, but I still had it. The guy was homeless and hurting by the end of the day, but we won't go there. BTW-my vintage and my newer bike both have parking brakes. I assumed all road bikes with rim brakes do, am I wrong?
Old 05-10-21, 09:46 AM
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=isr9A0-UTkQ
I have learned a lot watching the lock picking lawyer. There isn't a combo lock that can't be picked in less than 15 seconds.
Old 05-10-21, 09:46 AM

Most folks would be shocked by how fast an average picker can get though pretty much any lock.

Check out eh "Lock Picking Lawyer" on Youtube. He'll destroy your sense of security with locks, LOL!
Old 05-10-21, 11:04 AM
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Honestly, considering I carry a U-lock and cable, and can lock the bike in about a minute, there is no need for something like this for many. With the caveat: That as long as you normalize the use of your locks using them will be second nature.

Last edited by FelixScout; 05-13-21 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-10-21, 05:38 PM

ya so they are not for high security they are a deterrent. plus thats not a abus lock.
Old 05-10-21, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts

I guess I need to know more about locking picking. What's that first tool he used and why? Tension provider??

I seen enough of these videos to know that You cannot leave a bike anywhere without an armed guard. It is kind of discouraging me from going on a three day trip to the Olympic Peninsula where hiking and biking would be possible. But hiking would leave me profoundly unnerved about leaving the bike behind.
Old 05-10-21, 10:33 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Liked 5,660 Times in 2,928 Posts
I take my bike into stores, bakeries, the dentist office, bank, you name it and have never had an objection. I will either keep I with me or lean it inside in eyesight. Never an issue, no lock to carry and no worries

Old 05-11-21, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I take my bike into stores, bakeries, the dentist office, bank, you name it and have never had an objection. I will either keep I with me or lean it inside in eyesight. Never an issue, no lock to carry and no worries
I use to do that but within the last couple of years I just don't leave it or am with another person or two and we take turns watching. I recall pedaling up to the drive-up banking window. They would not serve me - something about liability. I then did roll the bike into the bank. I got looks but mentioned I'd been a customer for a long time and they would not allow me at the drive-up.

We did bring them into an art gallery in downtown Seattle a few months back. Owner did not object (pretty empty during the pandemic and when we spent a small fortune on paintings, I'm sure other bicyclists will be welcome in the future.

Planning on a two ferry ride to the Kitsap Peninsula tomorrow. Hoping to find a sandwich shop or two along the way. Two of us - one to guard and one to buy or relieve or whatever.
Old 05-11-21, 07:47 AM

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
In a perfect world, pre-ride “risk assessment” coupled with on-the-spot “situational awareness”, would likely reduce bike thefts across the board. But, unless an individual, has already experienced a theft, is trained in risk management or is just plain paranoid, those things are not a part of the general thought process. I’ve never had a bike stolen, I’m not specifically trained in risk management but do consider myself to be a bit on the paranoid side . I do have an assortment of locks available to me but pretty much none that are permanently mounted/carried on my usual rides. I do have a light weight combination/cable lock that is in the seat bag of one of my bikes. Fortunately, I believe that bike theft is relatively rare where I live but it does occur. The ones I know of have been of the “joy ride” variety and the bikes are quickly recovered (mostly intact). I do imagine however, with the current enthusiasm for cycling and the demand exceeding the supply of bikes and bike “things”, thefts could easily be on the rise in my area.
RE: my original mention of pre-ride risk assessment and situational awareness, if I am doing a day tour out of my area or any riding in an urban area, I will definitely have a more serious i.e. theft resistant locking system with me! Additionally, I avoid unattended stops in “sketchy” neighborhoods and limit my riding to daylight hours! Think ahead, plan ahead and be aware of the surroundings. “Luck favors the prepared” (Alden Mills).
Old 05-11-21, 11:28 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Liked 5,660 Times in 2,928 Posts
I am highly trained in paranoia.

Old 05-11-21, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by sovende
bike theft is relatively rare where I live but it does occur
Japan?
Old 05-14-21, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that my frame lock offers me the most benefit at home, being able to quickly lock it using the plug in chain. Otherwise, it's such a mild form of protection that I'm not sure what good they really do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.