Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to determine Pinarello frame size?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I am a newbie to Bike Forums and I would like to pick up your brain to resolve an issue I am currently facing. I recently sold a Pinarello Prince on eBay, size is 55cm. Unfortunately the person who I sold the bicycle to is claiming all sorts of things and stating it is not a true 55cm frame. Because I was the second owner of this bike, I do not have the papers stating the correct size of the bicycle. Therefore I am trying to figure out if there is a way to determine the frame size, based on the serial number of the frame or something along those lines. The only reason I sold my bicycle was due to financial hardship and now this person is trying to take advantage of me. Obviously if the frame is not the size I claim, I will take the hit and take it back. But what I do not want is this other person messing up with the bike, then realizing it was not his size and send it back in a bad shape.

I hope you would be kind enough to provide any guidance.

Best regards!
Old 08-25-09, 05:23 PM
Rumblefish

Bikes: 1973 Crescent Pepita Single Speed,1978 Raleigh Competition G.S.,1976 Raleigh Super Course MKII,1970's Motobecane Super Touring Fixed Gear, 1980's Denti Road Tech Five,Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo,1973 Atala Giro,Cheap MTB Tandem,Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try here: https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html
Old 08-25-09, 05:30 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I've seen bikes listed with the most ridiculous sizing numbers in the title. I would NEVER buy a bike off Ebay (or anywhere for that matter) and ASSume the lister measured the frame the same way I would have. Bike frames are measured so many different ways even by different manufacturers that a simple frame size number is meaningless. If the buyer didn't ask for specific measurements of the frame and is now complaining that it doesn't fit the way he expected to, I'd be the first person to say "too bad."
Old 08-25-09, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Frames can be measured in several different ways, and sometimes a manufacturer will even measure different models in different ways to get the stated frame size. The best way to have no doubts in a situation like an ebay auction is to not simply say "this is a 55" or whatever, but take specific measurements of the frame and then post the dimensions and what exactly you measured to get them. My '97 lugged steel Pinarello Vuelta with traditional frame geometry is a 54cm, measured from the center of the seat tube to the center of the head tube. It's also 54cm from the center of the bottom bracket to the center of the top tube.

But your Prince may be measured differently, you'd almost have to contact Pinarello with the model year, etc. and find out how they measured the frame to determine the stated size. Whatever it is, it doesn't sound like it fits whoever bought it from you, unfortunately. That's why it's important for the buyer and seller to communicate regarding the specific dimensions, no matter what the stated frame size-

Last edited by well biked; 08-25-09 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-25-09, 05:43 PM
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Usually the measurement is from the center of the bottom-bracket to the top of the seat-tube. At least in my experience.

Last edited by Panthers007; 08-25-09 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Oooops!!
Old 08-25-09, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Panthers007
Usually the measurement is from the center of the bottom-bracket to the top of the seatpost. At least in my experience.
I find more manufacturers use C to C than C to T.
Old 08-25-09, 06:32 PM
Great State of Varmint

Oh great. I use the other and it is accurate on both my Trek hybrid, and my PUCH frame from 1982. No wonder so many things never fit right! LOL
Old 08-25-09, 07:47 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthers007
Usually the measurement is from the center of the bottom-bracket to the top of the seatpost. At least in my experience.
I don't think you meant this. At most the measurement would be from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat[b]tube[/] and this is not how frames are commonly described.

There are two commonly used dimensions for level top tube frames; center to center (aka c-c, center of the bottom bracket to the center of the top tube, measured along the seat tube) and center to top (aka c-t, center of the bottom bracket to the top of the top tube measured the same way). The difference for the same frame can be as much as 2 cm so a claimed 54 c-c frame might also be advertised as a 56 c-t frame.

Usually, but not always, American and Japanese frame sizes are defined by c-t and European frames, particularly Italian are specified by the c-c distance.

For sloping or "compact: frames, the sizes are often based on an imaginary level top tube and can be c-c or c-t also.
Old 08-25-09, 08:19 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Originally Posted by HillRider
For sloping or "compact: frames, the sizes are often based on an imaginary level top tube and can be c-c or c-t also.
How would you get an imaginary c-t measurement? The only way I can imagine is to take the current protrusion of the seat tube above the top tube and then add that to the imaginary c-c measurement. Seems completely ridiculous but so is sizing bikes by the seat tube measurement, in my opinion.
Old 08-25-09, 08:34 PM
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
How would you get an imaginary c-t measurement? The only way I can imagine is to take the current protrusion of the seat tube above the top tube and then add that to the imaginary c-c measurement. Seems completely ridiculous but so is sizing bikes by the seat tube measurement, in my opinion.
It's sometimes called a "virtual" measurement, but you project from the center of the top tube/ head tube junction back along a "virtual" level line to the spot where that line would intersect the seat tube. That point to the center of the BB. That would be your virtual C to C seat tube measurement for a sloping top tube frame equating to what it would be on a level top tube frame.
Old 08-25-09, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by norwood
It's sometimes called a "virtual" measurement, but you project from the center of the top tube/ head tube junction back along a "virtual" level line to the spot where that line would intersect the seat tube. That point to the center of the BB. That would be your virtual C to C seat tube measurement for a sloping top tube frame equating to what it would be on a level top tube frame.
I understand "virtual" c-c measurements. My question was in regards to virtual c-t measurements. And it was a bit of a rhetorical question since I probably know the answer but I guess I just felt like pointing out the pointlessness of such a measurement. Not only are you drawing imaginary lines but you are also offsetting those imaginary lines (imaginary imaginary lines?) to get a virtual c-t measurement.
Old 08-25-09, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

A special formula is required ... check your bank account ... spend until it hurts!
Old 08-25-09, 09:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've found that the most common frame measurement is c-t, center of bottom bracket to top of seat tube. Every bicycle I've owned over the last 15 years (mostly Treks and Colnago) has been measured this way. My son's Specialized Allez with a level top tube was measured c-c. The difference between c-c and c-t on an OCLV Trek is 4 cm. The standover height on my son's 52 cm Allez was nearly the same as my 56 cm Trek. But the top tube length on my Trek was at least 4 cm longer.

Al
Old 08-25-09, 09:18 PM
GO BIG RED

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
I understand "virtual" c-c measurements. My question was in regards to virtual c-t measurements. And it was a bit of a rhetorical question since I probably know the answer but I guess I just felt like pointing out the pointlessness of such a measurement. Not only are you drawing imaginary lines but you are also offsetting those imaginary lines (imaginary imaginary lines?) to get a virtual c-t measurement.
I agree on the pointlessness of the C-T measurement. The placement of the actual top of the seat tube means little, as far as bike fit goes.
But if I were in the market for a sloping tube frame, I would want to know the virtual measurments of the frame to compare to the "normal" size frame that I ride. Then I could get a frame that should fit basically the same, only it would have somewhat less standover height.
What's somewhat pointless to me also, is actual measurement of the seat tube of a sloping TT frame because alot of it is adjustable seatpost anyway.
Old 08-25-09, 09:24 PM
Great State of Varmint

I don't think you meant this. At most the measurement would be from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat[b]tube[/] and this is not how frames are commonly described.

Fixed - and thank you! Yes - seat-tube.
Old 08-25-09, 10:58 PM

Bikes: Soma Smoothie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This pdf might help - Frame size = bb center to top of seat tube minus "K" factor from chart.

Last edited by jland; 08-25-09 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-26-09, 08:46 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by norwood
The placement of the actual top of the seat tube means little, as far as bike fit goes..
Your are correct but c-t measurements aren't taken to the top of the seat tube. They are taken to the top of the TOP tube and have a major implication for standover clearance. The seat tube can project a little or a lot above the top tube and it doesn't change the frame size.
Old 08-26-09, 09:11 AM

........c-t measurements aren't taken to the top of the seat tube. They are taken to the top of the TOP tube and have a major implication for standover clearance.
That's not always true, and is a good example of there being NO "standard" way of measuring frames. Schwinns, for example (and there were millions of them), were measured by the length of the actual seat tube, all the way to the top.......AND, they were measured in INCHES, not centimeters.
Old 08-26-09, 09:13 AM
GO BIG RED

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your are correct but c-t measurements aren't taken to the top of the seat tube. They are taken to the top of the TOP tube and have a major implication for standover clearance. The seat tube can project a little or a lot above the top tube and it doesn't change the frame size.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. C-T (top of top tube) is important. I didn't make myself clear, I was refering to what I often times see on ebay and c-list where the top of the seat tube is refered to.
Old 08-26-09, 09:31 AM
Great State of Varmint

2.54cm = 1 inch.

25.4mm = 1 inch

10mm = 1 centimeter (cm)
Old 08-26-09, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by well biked
That's not always true, and is a good example of there being NO "standard" way of measuring frames. Schwinns, for example (and there were millions of them), were measured by the length of the actual seat tube, all the way to the top.......AND, they were measured in INCHES, not centimeters.
I don't think old Schwinns set the standard for current frame measurement conventions. Also, did the seat tube end nearly flush with the top of the top tube? Many frames were made that way before seat collar clamps became common so the seat tube end and top tube top coincided.

For the record, older Treks were specified in inches as were the lower line Bridgestone road bikes. My '83 Trek 400 is listed in their catalog as 22". BTW, the seat tube is very nearly flush with the top of the top tube.
Old 08-26-09, 10:29 AM
Great State of Varmint

My Trek 7.5 FX was marked as a 17.5 inch. And from the center of the BB to the top of the collar-clamp - 17.5 inches.
Old 08-26-09, 12:23 PM

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The whole concept of c-c and c-t is really not relevant these days, with so few bikes having horizontal TTs and most of the tubes no longer being round.

What really defines a bike's vertical size, is the head tube length with the headset. If the bike has a horizontal TT, anyone complaining about the bike not being a "true" 55cm needs to specify whether they truly mean c-c or c-t. In the old days a 53cm c-c and 55cm c-t were about the same and you always had to clarify which you were speaking about.

If you want some dimensions for a "true" 55cm frame then the older Colnago geometry chart can provide those. A totally traditional Colnago in a 55cm c-t or 53cm c-c size had a 134mm head tube. To that you have to add at least 25mm for the headset. I'd just call the total 160mm. From there you can extrapolate just about any size.

Referring to the geometry Pinarello geometry chart, I see that the 53cm has a 144mm head tube. With the most common 15mm headset top section, that would make the total 159mm. That means to me that the frame is a 53cm c-c or 55cm c-t.

https://www.pinarello.com/else/technical_data.pdf

Last edited by DaveSSS; 08-27-09 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-26-09, 04:23 PM

I'm pretty sure this is wrong but if you can show me a geometry chart that specifies c-t and shows center to top of top tube (and not the seat tube) then I'll be quiet. I've never seen that measurement on a geometry chart though I have seen standover and center to top of seat tube quite frequently.

For example: https://www.gunnarbikes.com/crosshairsspecs.php
Old 08-26-09, 06:06 PM

I don't think old Schwinns set the standard for current frame measurement conventions. Also, did the seat tube end nearly flush with the top of the top tube?
How far above the top tube the seat tube extended varied depending on model, but the measurement was the actual length of the seat tube, all the way to the top. I have a couple of Schwinns with seat tubes that extend about an inch above the top tube. I also have Raleighs that were measured differently.

Some brands these days measure their various road bike models in different ways to get the stated size. My point was, and is, that there is no "standard" way to measure a frame size; never has been and probably never will be. Again, even c-t can mean different things. And with sloping top tubes, things get even more confusing. I know of one group of road bikes from one brand where the center of bb to top of top tube, along the seat tube, is used for the manufacturer's stated size of the bike. This group of bikes has sloping top tubes. Crazy stuff.

That's why, for the OP's purposes, better communication with the potential buyer is essential, stating what exactly is being measured and what the measurements are. To say a bike is a "55" ísn't precise enough, I'm afraid. Also, the buyer should have asked more questions and gotten precise measurements of whatever he wanted measured.

Last edited by well biked; 08-26-09 at 08:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.