Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone else ever get lazy or complacent about the herd?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone else ever get lazy or complacent about the herd?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-19, 06:58 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 267 Posts
These posts have a familiar ring. I experienced the 1 lever lower than the other a couple times this year. Even had fresh bar tape on 1, which had to be re-wrapped. Been pretty good at rotating thru my fleet. But this Spring, I reached a place where multiple bikes all needed new tires! Still have 2 many bikes & recently added a few more. The French & Italian Quarters in my shop are now diluted by American and Taiwanese newbies. Daily Cino training rides during August had me mostly on 3 bikes plus 2 in my garage I use for local errands. After return from Cino, I survey my shop & see multiple bikes all missing parts that went onto the PX-10. Look the other way and see 2 woodwork projects. 1 that I promised by end of Sept. Plus, I just picked up a 300SD MBZ with a "Heart of Gold" new factory engine, but totally worn out suspension & flex discs. Time to roll up my sleeves and get busy. Should be an enjoyable Fall/Winter. Don
Old 09-14-19, 08:49 AM

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 124 Posts
Eight bikes in my fleet. Once in a blue moon I have one out of service for a mod of some sort. Otherwise, I keep all of them squeaky clean and ready to rock. I enjoy tinkering with my bikes nearly as much as riding them.

Dean
Old 09-14-19, 08:27 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Yeah, I've been negligent in overhauling the bearings on my 'riders' for a few years. I used to go through them ever couple of thousand miles, which back then 40 years ago was only a couple of months if not every month. Back then I WAS riding 10-15k+ miles/year. Now that that'd take me at least five years. This past riding/commuting year I think I might have done 800-1000 miles, tops.

Yeah, I should just get off my lazy butt and do a complete tear-down/refurb every Winter/off-season regardless, but now I have other priorities in Life. Wife, Family, house/yard... So the bikes are 'neglected' for a couple of years at a time.

Believe it or not, my old Fuji has had the same SunTour barcon shifter cables since 1976, and I noticed that the shifts were getting a bit 'lazy'. I finally replaced the inner cables with 'smoothed' stainless and lubed the original non-encased coiled-stainless outer housings with some PTFE-infused oil, and now the shifts are again quick and precise.

Likewise, I had re-tensioned the wheels. Even though the wheels still spun true, the tensioning was a bit 'slack'.

It is the little things that matter!!!!