Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Vintage Italian Made Folding Bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Vintage Italian Made Folding Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-21, 03:00 PM

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker

For the ten days in St. Augustine, the bike proved to be quite functional. Biggest weakness of the design is the hinge: With the nut tightened down to the point that you've got the ability to release it by hand and easily fold it, you're going to get some flex in the frame. Which can be disconcerting at first, and a constant reminder that this isn't a bike where you stomp on the pedals and accelerate away. The flex can be done away with by adding a wrench to the nut and tightening it down more, but at that point you can no longer release the lever by simple hand pressure.

Not a great bike (I've done fifty mile rides on Raleigh Twenties, wouldn't consider it for one of these), but it does work within the constraints of the design. Say, a two mile ride from the train station to your office, etc. No, they're not worth much money. I got $50.00 for mine, and it was in mint, rideable, put it in the trunk of your car and use it for commuting Monday morning condition. Plus the two speed conversion. But they work. The realization that everyone you find is somewhere between 30-45 years old says that the design is obsolete, and has been improved up by everyone from a first generation Dahon up.

Worth keeping though, assuming you haven't had to pay much for it.
I had one of these for a while (did not survive the last move).
I also found the hinge to be a bit weak, especially compared to the 2 bolts on the Raleigh 20 hinge.

These bikes also have 28 spoke wheels. I'm on the heavy side and typically have tools, locks, groceries, etc., so the rear wheel broke 8 or 10 spokes.

I still have the front wheel on my Raleigh 20, but didn't try to salvage the rest of the frame. (I may take the Sturmey Archer AW hub out of the rear wheel some day.)
Old 08-17-21, 03:16 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
mirfi Yours look a lot like the German folder I just redid
Likes For denaffen: