Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Safety for females touring alone?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Safety for females touring alone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-12, 07:30 PM
Wheezy Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The NRA and other groups with a vested interest in keeping Americans afraid have done a credible job of creating a myth that prior to the handgun ban, British people carried guns openly. They didn't.

Anyone who tells someone inexperienced in the use of weapons to carry a gun "for protection" is, in my opinion, not someone who's advice should be trusted.

Fortunately, there are cooler heads giving you advice here. I hope you have a great trip and wish you well. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 05-11-12, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
One thing that needs to be reinforced is to be cautious about telegraphing your plans. breezybikes intends to blog. Be careful if it is open to all to see, and be selective about who you tell along the way. This is not being paranoid, but it certainly is a primary protection to ensure that unwanted people won't track your intended movements and be waiting for you.
Yes, I've definitely taken into consideration that if the blog is made too public others could potentially track me with bad intentions. I'm not very tech-savvy, so I'm still in the process of figuring out how to keep it open to people that I trust while maintaining a level of security and privacy.
Old 05-11-12, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was traveling, I was posting pictures to Flickr, but only after i've left the place or the next day for that very reason.
Old 05-11-12, 08:11 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
One thing that needs to be reinforced is to be cautious about telegraphing your plans. breezybikes intends to blog. Be careful if it is open to all to see, and be selective about who you tell along the way. This is not being paranoid, but it certainly is a primary protection to ensure that unwanted people won't track your intended movements and be waiting for you.
Absolutely ... when I've posted information about my travels it usually tends to be about where I've been rather than where I'm going. The "where I'm going" information goes to close family or friends.

When I toured Australia in 2004, I emailed stuff for my website home to my father who then posted it. By the time it was posted, usually a few days had passed. On my shorter tours, I've waited till I got home to post anything.

I would be very cautious about putting details about where I'm going tomorrow up on Facebook, for example.

If someone approaches you and asks where you are headed (usually without expressing any other interest in what you are doing), you will have to use your judgment and give the "right" answer. Machka is very good at this. I think she uses very nebulous answers, and in some cases indicates a route out of town in the completely opposite direction.
I do this whether I'm on tour or just doing a day ride somewhere relatively local ... and especially if I'm riding solo (which I've done a lot).

I'll also mention friends or family.

For example, I did a solo 360 km day ride when I lived in Winnipeg in preparation for the 2003 PBP. I decided to cycle up to a particular park on one of the lakes and back to Winnipeg. On the way up to the park, I stopped in at a grocery store to get something to eat and drink, and a customer talked to me outside the store asking where I was headed. I didn't feel 100% comfortable with that question, so I told him I was going to a place on the way to the park (and I was, but I was going well beyond that too) where I was meeting a group of friends who would be driving by shortly. He kind of pushed for more info wanting to know if I'd be cycling back that way the next day, and I indicated that I'd be driving back with my friends. So he walked off.

I've done similar things on several occasions, and it really helps to be aware of the towns, parks, and places approx 20 km from wherever you are so you can tell people (people you're not comfortable with) that's where you're headed if they start to push for information.

And if I'm asked (as I have been on a few occasions), "Are you out here all by yourself?", I laugh like that's a ridiculous idea and tell them that my father, brother, cousin, friend, or whatever will be driving past shortly, or is just up the road, or something along those lines. (But when I lived in Alberta, that was indeed sometimes true because my father was often around somewhere on his bicycle or in his car.)

Sometimes I'll be really vague, and if I'm asked where I'm going, I'll say something like, "Just cycling around the area, here and there ... it's a beautiful afternoon for a ride." ... or "Nowhere in particular, just out for a bit of exercise and fresh air" ... or something like that to suggest I either live or am staying in an area.

I've been asked sometimes how long I'll be staying in an area, and again, I'll be vague ... "Not sure" ... or evasive ... "Not sure, it depends what my friends are up to."

Last edited by Machka; 05-11-12 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-12-12, 03:44 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
LOL. You "objectively consider" based on statistics compiled by the Conservative Party and reported in the Daily Mail.

Forgive my mirth, but the Daily Mail is pretty much the equivalent of Fox News when it comes to impartiality and reliability.
In fairness whichever party is in opposition will paint everything in the worst possible light to show how useless the current government is, and the party in power will paint everything in the best possible light to show what a great job they are doing of governing.

In UK terms when we have a Labour government the norm is for the Daily Mail to ridicule just about everything they do; when we have a Conservative government look for much the same treatment from the Daily Mirror.
Old 05-12-12, 03:56 AM

Bikes: Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 45 Posts
enough with the gun debate, the OP already stated her intentions and a moderator already posted a warning. take it to the politics forum.
Old 05-12-12, 04:33 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by breezybikes
Another poster suggested the idea of a satellite phone because service is not always available in the more rural states. It's funny, my grandmotheractually brought that up recently. Not that grandmothers can't be technologically hip - she knows WAY more about tech stuff than I do - I was just surprised that she knew that much and that satellite phones existed.
Check the price and size of satellite phones before you get too excited about them. It's been a while since I saw any satellite phones in the flesh but when I last did they were huge, they had a huge antenna that had to be attached to get a satellite signal, they were hugely expensive to buy and hugely expensive to use. Using the satellite uplink was a heavy drain on the very large battery as well.

You might take the view that the price doesn't matter if it gives you a lifeline, although if you buy one and never use it on your trip it does make an expensive paperweight. Maybe you can rent one?
Old 05-12-12, 04:43 AM
In Real Life

Some people around here have satellite phones ... usually people who travel into remote parts of Australia. The ones I've seen are about the size of a "normal" phone (home phone).

My impression is that they aren't overly expensive to buy, but they are expensive to use. The people who have them here usually use them for emergency purposes.
Old 05-12-12, 04:47 AM

Bikes: Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 45 Posts
From what I've seen most are in the $600 range, but they go from $400 on up. But yea, it would hurt my Dutch ancestors to know something that expensive is most likely going to go unused... I just did a search and it does seem there are places that rent them. It's the same thing as choosing between a motel and camping if you're not huge camping lover... you just have to decide what level of comfort you want and if you can afford it.
Old 05-12-12, 05:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not sure of postage to the USA but I'm going remote into Scotland so got a satellite phone here , £87 pounds or $140, downside is you need a contract of 11 euros a month. There is pay as you go but prices start at £400 or $600.

I got a sat phone for work purposes, going remote and keeping in contact with family (they worry a lot)
weighs about 400g in total, heavy I know so needs to be justified.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLOBALSTAR...#ht_1445wt_952
Old 05-12-12, 06:05 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Some people around here have satellite phones ... usually people who travel into remote parts of Australia. The ones I've seen are about the size of a "normal" phone (home phone).

My impression is that they aren't overly expensive to buy, but they are expensive to use. The people who have them here usually use them for emergency purposes.
Looks like things have moved on a lot. The last one I saw wasn't much smaller than a house brick, cost several hundred pounds (pushing over $1000) and cost something like $10/minute to actually make a call. You certainly wouldn't want to do have an extended chat at that price!
Old 05-12-12, 07:10 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by contango
Looks like things have moved on a lot. The last one I saw wasn't much smaller than a house brick, cost several hundred pounds (pushing over $1000) and cost something like $10/minute to actually make a call. You certainly wouldn't want to do have an extended chat at that price!
These are the dimensions of one of the cheaper ones I found on a quick google search:

Dimensions: 170mm(L) x 54mm(W) x 39mm(D)
Weight: 279g (9.8oz) Including Battery

And the per minute call is anywhere from $1.50 per minute to about $8.00 per minute depending on who or what device you're calling. It looks like a call to a cell phone is about $1.80/minute.
Old 05-12-12, 06:20 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
SPOT Personal Tracker
Old 05-12-12, 07:17 PM

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds very familiar to me. Someone tells me they dislike guns and would like all guns banned. Later in conversation same person tells me she is worried about her safety.
Old 05-12-12, 07:23 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by BenzFanatic
enough with the gun debate, the OP already stated her intentions and a moderator already posted a warning. take it to the politics forum.
+1
Old 05-12-12, 08:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeez. Shouldn't you guys be over at ARFCOM?
Back on topic, BigAura beat me to the punch with the SPOT tracker.
Old 05-14-12, 03:18 PM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 3, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Niles H.
(7) I may have inadvertently fueled the image of males as dangerous or unable to control themselves. There are *many times more* males who are no danger at all, and would even help or protect if necessary. The vast majority are fine, and it is a shame that so much paranoia has been propagated, to a large extent through fear-mongering media.
+1 on this - I'm so sick of the male-bashing and portrayal of all males as criminals, ******* and pedophiles. Women do the same things, it's not just males. All humans have the capacity for evil, but not all of us use it (or want to).
Old 05-16-12, 09:37 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, breezybikes for starting this thread! I too am a female planning a solo cross-country tour (starting in August), but whenever I tell anybody about my upcoming trip, their first concern is always "Really? By yourself? Aren't you worried what could happen?" It's a bit annoying, honestly--why can't more people just be as excited about my big adventure as I am? I appreciate that they care about my safety--I really do--but I feel that the chances of "something bad" happening are far lower than my friends and family think they are. I grew up in a safe, suburban neighborhood, so maybe I have a false sense of security, but I also have a good head on my shoulders and I KNOW that I need to be aware of my surroundings and trust my instincts. And really, I think knowing your own strengths and weaknesses is really important to being prepared for a solo tour. For instance, I knew that my knowledge of bike maintenance & repair was really lacking and potentially debilitating, so I took a class offered by my local parks & rec. department. Even if I never have to do anything beyond fixing a flat, it helped alleviate some of the fear I had about being stranded in the middle of nowhere due to a mechanical problem. (Which is far more likely to happen than being assaulted, as I've tried to tell my family & friends--with no luck.

I don't really have any advice concerning firearms or pepper spray--only that personally, I would never want to use either one. I actually don't really have any advice at all, seeing as I'm still pretty new to bike touring and haven't accumulated much experience yet--I just wanted to thank you for starting this discussion and thanks to the other posters for the great advice--I'll definitely be checking out some of the books & CGOAB journals that have been mentioned! Also, I totally agree with MassiveD who said that bike touring is all about adventure. (For me, the possibility that it's just a little bit dangerous only adds to the sense of adventure, but I could never admit that to my worried grandparents.) And breezybikes--have a great trip!!
Old 05-17-12, 10:23 AM
Lao

Bikes: Brompton M6L 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My tip would be to make your own pepper spray, mainly to use against dogs.
Old 10-24-12, 08:11 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by breezybikes
Hi Everyone

I'm getting ready to leave on a cross country tour in June (coast to coast)... and I'm a female going by myself. I'll have a friend traveling with me here and there, but for 3000 miles out of the 4000 miles I will be all by my lonesome. Unfortunately, the reality is that there is a difference in the degree of safety inherently possessed by a man versus a woman when traveling solo. I'm curious to hear about the experiences of women who have toured significant distances alone and the safety precautions that they took.

I've been asked by several friends and family members if I'm carrying a firearm. After much last minute debate I've decided that carrying a gun is out of the question. I'm far too inexperienced with firearms to feel comfortable using a handgun, universe forbid, in a time of necessity. And there really isn't enough time to act on such training now (classes, permits, etc.). I'm considering other self defense options, i.e. taser or mace or both. ???

Had this crossed my mind six months ago, I would have gone through the necessary training to confidently carry a hand gun on tour, but that didn't happen so I need to find an alternative form of self defense.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
L.

So how did the tour go?
Old 10-24-12, 08:26 PM
In Real Life

Absolutely ... when I've posted information about my travels it usually tends to be about where I've been rather than where I'm going. The "where I'm going" information goes to close family or friends.

When I toured Australia in 2004, I emailed stuff for my website home to my father who then posted it. By the time it was posted, usually a few days had passed. On my shorter tours, I've waited till I got home to post anything.

I would be very cautious about putting details about where I'm going tomorrow up on Facebook, for example.
Even on our current tour, I've opted to be somewhat vague about where we currently are ... it's one thing to say, "We're in Bordeaux" ... or "We're on the west coast of France" ... but I just wouldn't feel comfortable being more specific than that.

I do this whether I'm on tour or just doing a day ride somewhere relatively local ... and especially if I'm riding solo (which I've done a lot).

I'll also mention friends or family.

For example, I did a solo 360 km day ride when I lived in Winnipeg in preparation for the 2003 PBP. I decided to cycle up to a particular park on one of the lakes and back to Winnipeg. On the way up to the park, I stopped in at a grocery store to get something to eat and drink, and a customer talked to me outside the store asking where I was headed. I didn't feel 100% comfortable with that question, so I told him I was going to a place on the way to the park (and I was, but I was going well beyond that too) where I was meeting a group of friends who would be driving by shortly. He kind of pushed for more info wanting to know if I'd be cycling back that way the next day, and I indicated that I'd be driving back with my friends. So he walked off.

I've done similar things on several occasions, and it really helps to be aware of the towns, parks, and places approx 20 km from wherever you are so you can tell people (people you're not comfortable with) that's where you're headed if they start to push for information.

And if I'm asked (as I have been on a few occasions), "Are you out here all by yourself?", I laugh like that's a ridiculous idea and tell them that my father, brother, cousin, friend, or whatever will be driving past shortly, or is just up the road, or something along those lines. (But when I lived in Alberta, that was indeed sometimes true because my father was often around somewhere on his bicycle or in his car.)

Sometimes I'll be really vague, and if I'm asked where I'm going, I'll say something like, "Just cycling around the area, here and there ... it's a beautiful afternoon for a ride." ... or "Nowhere in particular, just out for a bit of exercise and fresh air" ... or something like that to suggest I either live or am staying in an area.

I've been asked sometimes how long I'll be staying in an area, and again, I'll be vague ... "Not sure" ... or evasive ... "Not sure, it depends what my friends are up to."
Even when Rowan and I have been together, I've opted to be very vague, or even untruthful, about our plans.

We were on a 400K attempt, and at about 10 pm, stopped in a little grocery store. When we left, a group of rather drunk young people came up and wanted to know what we were doing and where we were going. I told them we were off to one particular town ... and a short while later we set off for another town entirely. We might have been perfectly safe telling them where we were going, but it just didn't quite feel like the right thing to do at the time.

On our current tour, we've been asked many times where we've come from and where we are going. Those are the most common questions we're asked. We'll tell the truth, but vaguely -- "We came from Bordeaux [yesterday] ... and we're heading for La Rochelle [a week from now]"