Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-17, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yesterday 50 de with wind, just got on bike and started drizzling, thought for a second to make a U-turn but decided to just ride out. 5x3 at 110% @75rpm, climbing intervals, legs feel fresh this AM like I din't do intervals yesterday. Tomorrow 2x15 @75rp.
Feels like my VO2Max is ahead of my legs, hopefully couple of big gear workouts will match legs+heart 70ctl, -18Tsb
Old 11-09-17, 09:04 AM

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
my basement is currently 53 degrees, should make my workouts more bearable, 5x12 sweet spot on tap
Old 11-09-17, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
the Tues/Thurs night hammerfest is now officially in the dark and cold. Windy ride on Tuesday. Short vid with music.

Old 11-09-17, 09:39 PM
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
3x30 at 90%. 1 minute break every 15 minutes. Not too many sweet spot workouts left before I move into some more building type stuff.
Old 11-10-17, 12:24 AM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
gym

my race videos
Old 11-10-17, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm
gym
what's your routine at the gym?
Old 11-10-17, 09:17 AM
**** that

Originally Posted by mike868y
what's your routine at the gym?
i do an easy 1/2 mile jog to get there, which serves as a nice warmup.

in the gym i’m doing mostly leg stuff (leg extensions, leg curls, leg press, smith machine squats, box jumps), with some core and a tiny bit of arm work.

mostly doing lowish weight with high reps, except for the leg press machine where i can max it out (which doesn’t mean much given its angled setup, but it helps the ego). even then i start small and do probably 60+ reps in total, in sets of 20 or so.

and some box jumps, and throwing a medicine ball in the air coming up from a squat, whatever that’s called.

so i basically just randomly switch between all that for the hour, depending on which machines are available, and try to keep moving more or less the whole time.

on the smith i’m starting with 50# total, then add 20#, and do 3x10 reps. it’s not a lot of weight compared to what i see others do, but it gets hard towards the end for sure.

i had a crisis of sorts the other day where i saw a guy using the smith machine facing the opposite direction i was told to. then i google it and the top two videos are facing the other way too. but it turns out they’re all doing it wrong lol.

i should eventually graduate to free weights for squats, but i don’t want to embarrass or hurt myself!

what’s nice is that i come out of it a little sore, but not limping or anything. when Base starts i want to keep doing this and not have it get in the way of riding.
Old 11-10-17, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I don't like the Smith machine because it forces me to move in the plane of the machine, which isn't quite comfortable. When I started doing basic squats, I just did the bar, with no weight, and progressed from there. At this point, I'm squatting about 1.5x body weight. If you start light like that, and really keep good form, you should be ok. If you are concerned about hurting yourself doing squats, I think reverse V-squats are a better option than the Smith Machine.

Deadlifts and stiff-leg deadlifts are also good exercises. I use a hex bar for my regular deadlifts, as it reduces the strain on the low back. For stiff leg, I use a regular bar.

I do not do any leg curls or extensions. Extensions put too much strain on my knees, and I think deadlifts do a better job working my hamstrings than leg curls.

I also do one day of dual leg work and one day of single-leg work. Single leg stuff includes a rotation of forward lunges, back lunges, step ups, bench pistol squats, deadlifts, side lunges, leg press. The single leg stuff definitely leaves me sore in different places than the dual leg stuff.

One way to mix things up with the leg press is to do single leg throws. Get a light weight on their and push the press so hard and fast that it leaves your leg, then use both legs to catch it. (Do not catch it with locked knees!)

Lastly, I do a rotation of upper body stuff each time at the gym. I always do pull ups, and then I do one chest, one shoulder, and one back exercise. I try to keep the chest and back stuff on the same plane. So if I do regular bench press, I also do a seated row or bent over row. If I do chest fly work, I then do back fly...
Old 11-10-17, 03:18 PM
Cat 2

90 minute recovery ride on the TT bike. Dropped the bars 30mm in the front and after about an hour I felt it kinda clicked and I found a comfortable way to ride the bike. Still have my armpads really narrow. Going to try to get out and ride it outside this weekend, but we'll see with the weather and the winds. Here's a pic of me with 30mm riser. Once it started feeling a bit more comfortable I found i had slide my ass forward a bit and my bicep area seemed to be more perpendicular to the ground.

30mm.png
Old 11-10-17, 03:51 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
3 hours of riding around the Delta. 87 feet of elevation in 54 miles. Probably could have gone under 1ft per mile if I hadn't had to backtrack for one of the levee roads being closed.
Old 11-10-17, 06:05 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
TT bike fit on a trainer doesn't matter. It feels and you sit so different on the road.

*in before the "But but but" - read with a little nuance you nimbs.
Old 11-10-17, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I had to go to the ER today for my asthma; tomorrow is supposed to be my first hammerfest since my accident (I watched radishlegs videos over and over to prep) but that's out.

It happens every few years, something just triggers it and it doesn't go away for days.
Old 11-11-17, 09:06 AM
MS, Registered Dietitian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I don't like the Smith machine because it forces me to move in the plane of the machine, which isn't quite comfortable. When I started doing basic squats, I just did the bar, with no weight, and progressed from there. At this point, I'm squatting about 1.5x body weight. If you start light like that, and really keep good form, you should be ok. If you are concerned about hurting yourself doing squats, I think reverse V-squats are a better option than the Smith Machine.

Deadlifts and stiff-leg deadlifts are also good exercises. I use a hex bar for my regular deadlifts, as it reduces the strain on the low back. For stiff leg, I use a regular bar.

I do not do any leg curls or extensions. Extensions put too much strain on my knees, and I think deadlifts do a better job working my hamstrings than leg curls.

I also do one day of dual leg work and one day of single-leg work. Single leg stuff includes a rotation of forward lunges, back lunges, step ups, bench pistol squats, deadlifts, side lunges, leg press. The single leg stuff definitely leaves me sore in different places than the dual leg stuff.

One way to mix things up with the leg press is to do single leg throws. Get a light weight on their and push the press so hard and fast that it leaves your leg, then use both legs to catch it. (Do not catch it with locked knees!)

Lastly, I do a rotation of upper body stuff each time at the gym. I always do pull ups, and then I do one chest, one shoulder, and one back exercise. I try to keep the chest and back stuff on the same plane. So if I do regular bench press, I also do a seated row or bent over row. If I do chest fly work, I then do back fly...
I lifted for many years (and was approx. 50 lbs. heavier) but have really pared it down to what I feel (from research and experience) complements cycling by addressing potential imbalances and helping prevent injury.

Deadlifts, squats (I alternate between freeweight box squats and hex bar deadlifts - more similar to a squat than a dead, IMO), pullups, pushups or dips (depending on mood and/or current level of upper body strength), wrestler's bridges/planks.

I tend to minimize/skip the squat during race season as the bike is providing so much hip extension/knee extension work that I feel the squat is overkill. YMMV, of course.

I do these 2x/week during offseason/base, pare back to 1x/week (and maintenance weight targets) during season.

ETA: I concur WRT leg extension/leg curl. Outside of specific rehab needs, I see zero reason for any athlete to do these. Too much risk of injury due to poor form and one can handle (safely) far more weight with a proper closed-chain movement like a squat or deadlift.
Old 11-11-17, 06:57 PM
**** that

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I had to go to the ER today for my asthma; tomorrow is supposed to be my first hammerfest since my accident (I watched radishlegs videos over and over to prep) but that's out.

It happens every few years, something just triggers it and it doesn't go away for days.
Scary!

Smart to skip the hammer ride after that.

my race videos
Old 11-11-17, 06:59 PM
**** that

Did the local hammer ride this morning, first time in a while. HR was way elevated from what it normally was.

Still won a sprint, @Ygduf won one of the main ones while otf. But in the last sprint (the biggest one of the ride) I just didn't have the legs. This must be what 90% of the guys on that ride feel like all the time, but it was a new feeling for me! #offseason

my race videos
Old 11-11-17, 09:27 PM
Cat 2

Raced cross this morning + about an hour extra of riding afterwards. Course was basically one of our weeknight crit courses + a moto rythym section. Was a course that I should have done well on. Another mechanical though. Pulled my wheel out of the drop out running over a section and not picking my bike up properly. Totally my fault. Oh well.
Old 11-12-17, 12:53 AM

Took my nephew on a ride because it would be 'easy'. He's getting faster and I couldn't keep up for the first 10 miles, but then he blew up.

I was actually pretty impressed with his riding, at 6'7" 260, he's not going to do well in anything vertical but it wouldn't surprise me if he could pull 2500w peak power rn. His calves are bigger than my quads. The frustrating thing is he just isn't consistent and changes hobbies daily but he's a kid and if I pushed him to be a national champ crit racer then we'd have to support him til he's 35.
Old 11-12-17, 06:53 PM
Cat 2

1:45 on the TT bike today. A lot of time just getting used to riding it, but one section where I opened it up. 6.7 miles in 14:57 on 284Watts. It's fun to go fast on these bikes.

I was really hoping not to see any other cyclists on this ride because I was riding the new disc that I got. Didn't want to be that guy that looks like he's trying too hard in November. Realistically it was just to get a feel for riding it since I've never ridden a solid rear wheel. I did pass probably 2 or 3 people so hopefully I was going quick enough they didn't see the wheel!
Old 11-12-17, 07:43 PM
**** that

Team ride, 90 miles total.

Also, best sponsor ever - after the core of the ride we stopped by for pizza & espresso, then I did 15-ish miles home.

my race videos
Old 11-12-17, 08:22 PM

Forced easy week due to the asthma issues. On the positive side I had a big week prior so its just an early recovery week and I can smash for Thanksgiving (I have the week off).

I also got to resolve a small groin strain, been stretching it (not the Louie CK groin muscle the adductors!) and it should be solid. My hip is acting up again and this is the result (its getting better but not perfect).

Originally Posted by mattm
Team ride, 90 miles total.

Also, best sponsor ever - after the core of the ride we stopped by for pizza & espresso, then I did 15-ish miles home.
I've been there before! Miss the team stuff; been almost 100% solo this year (I get too competitive and don't do what I should) and the definitely funner riding with the right people (but I enjoy going it alone as well).
Old 11-13-17, 08:43 AM

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret

Get better and quick recovery.
Old 11-13-17, 09:30 AM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
3x40tempo yesterday, 5min between efforts. Coach bought my excuse so I didn't even get yelled at - "It was cold so I went harder to keep warm!"
Old 11-13-17, 09:59 AM

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
another cross race for me yesterday (8th of the season), finished 37/49, which seems to be my current lot in life lol. Still fun, but starting to care about results a bit more, needlessly gave up maybe 5 spots due to slacking a bit much. But that's to be expected when trying to race cross without proper training lol
Old 11-13-17, 12:39 PM
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nailed my VO2 workout last tuesday (in that I actually did VO2 work and finished all the repeats) left me happy, but then i crashed on a descent on thursday and fell off the wagon nutrition-wise for 36 hours eating away my depression. decided to ride with my teammate saturday anyway and it ended up being an awesome ride - managed to PR my 20min power chasing him (during a 23 minute climb paced horribly - last 5 minutes were death) and then felt good for the whole 4.5hrs, no pain from my bandaged up wounds. my descending is atrocious right now - the psychological affects of slipping out take a while to go away, but im happy with my fitness. 17hrs riding last week - biggest in a while. sept-nov always involves the most riding for me.
Old 11-13-17, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've given up on the idea of actually racing my CX bike this season. Instead I got some thick training tires and full fenders and I'm making it the ultimate rain bike. #traininglikeits1975

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.