Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring in the rain

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-17, 06:39 AM

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1

All that said, airfare is not all that expensive if you shop for decent fares, so unless you really are set on a wet destination, why not go somewhere that the weather is likely to be nice most of the time?
Totally agree. A few years ago our daughter couldn't believe that it rained during summer - we typically spend our summers on the Mediterranean basin.

This summer is a bit different as we must stay within a long day's drive from home. So we decided to cycle from our door, a large circle, on the Atlantic seaboard and along the Saint Lawrence River. Great places to cycle, actually. Unfortunately, this year is incredibly wet. At least in Quebec city (things look a bit better to the south)

Our "policy" is to camp, but if it is raining and there are other options, we'll spend the night in a hotel, b&b or such. And so far it has served us well.

I was asking around because I'll have to cover 500kms in four days, on a fixed schedule, to rejoin my wife and kids, dropped in a State park.

I plan to keep riding up to light rain, and wait when it pours.

My focus is on staying warm. Being wet is not a problem. I am now riding in Tevas and wear synthetic clothing that remains reasonably comfortable even when wet. I wear a lightweight waterproof breathable shell (never rain pants, usually shorts, sometimes running tights) and Merino full length gloves to stay warm, removing them if it gets hot. I carry a reusable emergency blanket and probably an umbrella as well (to stop and wait during heavy downpours).

I can easily pack my gear protected from the rain in my tent'vestibule. However, when the weather is really humid, clothes will not dry overnight - eventually nothing will be dry and wet clothes will contaminate the whole pannier.

So I now plan on using two dry bags for clothing. One to keep dry clothes positively dry, and one to store wet clothes and limit the propagation of water inside the pannier.

Anyway. In this part of the world, wet is nothing like a monsoon. Typically just a few millimeters of rain with most of the day overcast and humid. So unpleasant at worst.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
Old 06-24-17, 07:08 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
being not too far from where Gauvins is, I can confirm that this spring early summer has been wetter and cooler than other years.

as for keeping warm, it can be surprising how cold you can get riding in rain even at 20-25c or thereabouts. If there is wind, and your legs are all wet, you cool down, mind you this is coming from a skinny guy who gets cold easily.

this is why I prefer rain pants, rain jacket and shoe rain booties, to not be cold--and use all three or variations depending on the conditions. It doesnt bother me to stop and take a minute to take things off or put things on if it means I am comfortable.

our weeks forecast isnt looking that great, so good luck.
Old 06-24-17, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
I know, but this year is different. Today in Québec it's been on and off all day. All week actually Long term forecast is mildly optimistic, but if this past spring is any indication of summer to come, the challenge will be to keep dry at night.

I wonder how long before we grow moss on our backs
I don't understand about your "night" comment. Don't you have a tent?
Old 06-24-17, 07:27 AM
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Day 1: Half Moon Bay to Pigeon Point

Wednesday May 18, 2005, 20 miles (32 km) - Total so far: 20 miles (32 km)

Arggghhh! Brutal weather to start my trip. Not an especially good omen.
A late, record storm has been pounding the coast with 30+ mph winds and sheets of rain. I struggled to make the 20 miles from Half Moon Bay to Pigeon Point and barely got in before dark - - - soaking wet. I was hugely grumpy with the guy at the desk. He made the mistake of offering some bit of wisdom like, "Sure is awful weather we're having." Here I was standing at the counter - still with my bike helmet on - dripping pools of water on the floor.

<<<<<>>>>>

First day journal of my 2005 trip.
But certainly not the last day of rain.

<<<<<>>>>>

Day 58 - Kutztown to Flemington

Saturday July 30, 2016, 65 miles (105 km) - Total so far: 3,295 miles (5,303 km)

A few heavy drops came down - warning me a minute in advance.
There was a vegetable market by the road and I swung in.
Covered the bike in the tarp and dashed inside as the deluge started.
Two hours of non-stop rain - sheets of rain coming down.

It wouldn’t stop.
People in the store commented about how they hadn’t seen rain like this in years.
And they told me that they really needed the moisture.
Ooooooh - - was I ever forced to hold my tongue.

When it finally slowed - not stopped - rivers were running down the road.
I probably shouldn’t have, but I headed out onto a water-covered roadway.
It was still raining lightly and the road was treacherous.
I was wearing orange and used my rear blinker.

<<<<<>>>>>

11 years later - -
There's just no justice for the wicked.
I am switching careers to become a rainmaker.
Old 06-24-17, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by waddo
I don't understand about your "night" comment. Don't you have a tent?
Yes I do. But after a couple of days in the rain everything gets damp. In particular, I sleep in a down-filled sleeping bag. Which is absolutely great, usually, but terrible when wet. My guess is that I'll stay dry for 2 nights, after which things will become unpleasant.
Old 06-24-17, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by jamawani
11 years later - -
There's just no justice for the wicked.
I am switching careers to become a rainmaker.
11 years later, you actually remember these events. Isn't that great!
Old 06-24-17, 07:36 AM

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I remember a long wet ride down the California Coast, and a rainy week in England. The question was "Are we having fun yet?"

Merino wool is a lifesaver and as a local mountain club says "cotton kills" .
Old 06-24-17, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I live in japan but also lived 20 years in Quebec. Japan is much wetter. About the tent: maybe your tent is not so great, but in any case this is what we try to do in very rainy weather. You pack up everything inside the tent. You have plastic bags for everything inside your panniers. Now, during the day you find some place dry, under a bridge, bus shelter, etc. You hang your tent up and use huge amounts of toilet paper (or sponge?) to dry off your tent. Then you relax, drink a beer, and let the wind do the rest. Finally your tent is pretty dry.

If you tent leaks during the night as it rains, well it's time to get a better tent. But there is no reason that things should gradually get wet if you tent is actually keeping the water out.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-17, 08:17 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 864 Posts
Irish west Coast, started, last week of february, alternated between camping and Hostels,

camped in pastures and paid campgrounds.. It all worked out.. then I settled on the damp Oregon coast.

Old 06-24-17, 01:09 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
If you need layers to keep warm both groundeffect and icebreaker make merino wool base layers that keep you warm and don't smell like synthetics
Old 06-28-17, 09:52 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Got bike fenders? Those help a lot. Rain coat, helmet cover , showers pass are good makers of both.
Old 06-29-17, 12:54 AM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I can see how Canadian tourists would like warm dry conditions but OTOH a cooler/damper stretch might still be more comfortable than a lower 48 hot spell.
Old 06-29-17, 03:23 AM

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I'd rather ride in the rain than ride in Arizona right now.
Old 06-30-17, 07:51 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
And they told me that they really needed the moisture.
Ooooooh - - was I ever forced to hold my tongue.
Not just a cyclist issue. One of the things that bugs the crap out of me is the old women in the local news FB groups who will be doing the "we need it, keep on raining" BS when there's water standing in the 200 year flood plain, mudslides along a couple of ridges, and asphalt washing off of streets from the runoff flow rate. Of course, all that doesn't matter to them, since they don't have jobs to get to, and the bingo hall is on high ground.
Old 06-30-17, 11:01 AM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,165 Posts
Last summer after cycling all day for a long rainy day, I could not find the campground I planned to stay at. I saw a building with an HI Hostels flag flying so I stopped in to ask where the campground was. I had been indoors about 30 seconds when I decided to instead ask if they had room for one more. After cycling all day in the rain, I had no desire to camp in it too.
Old 06-30-17, 11:03 AM

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
as for keeping warm, it can be surprising how cold you can get riding in rain even at 20-25c or thereabouts. If there is wind, and your legs are all wet, you cool down, mind you this is coming from a skinny guy who gets cold easily.
A few years ago, a few of us planned a July trip here in Pennsylvania. We had about 5 hours of rain due to a stalled front. The temperature hovered around 68 degrees F or 20 degrees C. We got cold, really cold, while riding. Being totally unprepared for the amount of rain and the cool weather (the forecast had been sunny and 75/24), we begged a couple of large plastic trash bags from a restaurant where we had stopped to eat. We crafted rain ponchos by carefully tearing the bags to create a head hole and arm holes. These make a huge difference in helping to keep us warm. That made the ride much more pleasant. In fact, I keep a couple of trash bags in my panniers for just such emergency use.
Old 06-30-17, 10:42 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
A few years ago, a few of us planned a July trip here in Pennsylvania. We had about 5 hours of rain due to a stalled front. The temperature hovered around 68 degrees F or 20 degrees C. We got cold, really cold, while riding. Being totally unprepared for the amount of rain and the cool weather (the forecast had been sunny and 75/24), we begged a couple of large plastic trash bags from a restaurant where we had stopped to eat. We crafted rain ponchos by carefully tearing the bags to create a head hole and arm holes. These make a huge difference in helping to keep us warm. That made the ride much more pleasant. In fact, I keep a couple of trash bags in my panniers for just such emergency use.
It can be unpleasantly surprising how easy it is to catch a chill in mid-summer storms. Trash bags are good for emergencies but now if there's possible rain I stash the rain jacket.