Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Century-A-Month 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 11:00 AM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barely got it in for January, phew! 16 laps of Central Park yesterday (no joke). Temp never got above freezing.
Old 01-27-08, 10:47 PM
Titanium Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kicked off the year in San Francisco with my first 200K brevet Jan 26th. Forecast was for Definite Light Rain all day long... turned out there was not a drop of rain all day, in fact the sun was peeking out for about half the ride. Wind was tough along the coast as several were apparently blown off their bikes or road... I had to make an emergency unclip once and nearly lost my balance, but luckily regained. However, several times I was blown from one side of the road to the other. If a car was approaching, I'd just stop and let them pass. This went on for about 6 miles of the route as we headed out and back to a lighthouse. Nice views... Ran out of water at one point, and apparently missed a nice water/food stop just off the road in between controls.

And I managed to get lost or felt lost a couple times on the way back in due to some cue sheet errors, only a bonus mile or two, but I was pedaling quite slowly looking for the twist and turns... along with a lack of confidence in the directions given.

Only 32 people out of ~85 registered started due to the weather forecast. 30 finished.

Time 10:53...

300k SF brevet end of Feb. scheduled..

--
SharpT
Old 01-28-08, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Done. Fixed.

Last edited by Rowan; 03-24-08 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-29-08, 12:22 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
170 kms on January 20th. Took me nearly all day.
Old 01-29-08, 04:33 PM
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a windy 104 early this month and did something to the knee.
Hope I can get it back in shape before Feb. ends I definitely want to do a couple of back-to-back longish days before the soldier ride in March.
Old 01-31-08, 10:02 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.6 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I did a metric century...

I started off planning to do an Imperial century, but events, poor planning and just sheer cold combined to deny me and my son our official January 2008 Century. We ran out of daylight (not a show stopper in itself), the temperatures plummeted and overall tiredness jeopardized our ability to navigate my cur sheet.Luckily we we able to hop on a local train and let SEPTA do the rest. Many mistakes were made and I'll outline some for posterity and so others may benefit from not repeating them.
  1. Dress better, bikes shorts & leg warmers are not enough (I think I'm sterile now)
  2. shoe covers and/or heated insoles
  3. Dense urban routes to be avoided
  4. better cue sheets and use a clip dohicky to hold them
  5. Try not to ride during commuting hours on roads subject to high traffic
  6. Either pre-drive the route or rely on known bike friendly routes

They say the best lessons are those learned the hard way.
Old 01-31-08, 10:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.6 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did get 67.5 miles in before calling it quits, so it counts as a metric. For my first attempt at the century a month club in a Northeastern state, I'll take some solace in that fact
Old 02-03-08, 12:06 PM
Chocolate and nap

Bikes: Old Peugeot PX10, '1974 custom Gemini racing bike, custom Singer randonneuse (Levallois, France) and Randocycles mountain bike w/rear panniers

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
February century done
166 km @ 21,8 km/hour.
Started with a ride organised by the Satory bike club in the Chevreuse Valley. Completed the century on the return trip home. Cold and windy, but otherwise fantastic weather. This is far better than BPB: it rains during the week and week-ends are great and sunny (whell... during daytime). Next will be march, and a flèche Velocio with Republique pass on the way is on the program
Old 02-04-08, 09:36 AM

Bikes: 2007 Cervelo SLC-SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
February century done too.

100.51 miles yesterday.

Commuted in from home to do the area's "Super Bowl Ride". Stopped in downtown Dallas for spaghetti before riding back to the start and then back home. Was a beautiful day for the ride, temps started in the low 60's and go up into the mid 70's.

Yesterday's ride brings me up to 3 centuries for the year and I've got another in two weeks.
Old 02-04-08, 11:59 AM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Completed Feb last Saturday on a hilly 200K out of Austin, TX. That makes for 5 total so far, including one 300K.

The first 400K of the year is scheduled for this Saturday.
Old 02-09-08, 08:36 AM
Not an internet law-maker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
February is done, probably my hardest 162km yet. Made a post in my blog thing.

edit: anyone know a good way to clean a carradice barley?
Old 02-09-08, 10:31 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
February century done.
Old 02-09-08, 11:36 PM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Just got back from a "back to back to back". There was an organised round the mountain ride on saturday, and its around 170km away so I though I'd pedal up... up is the word, highest point 750m and lots of up and down on the way.

Nice sunny day on friday, got away around 10:30, in no hurry so explored some backroads and kept off the highway. Stopped at 115km for a quick bite. 173.5km 7.51hrs

The ride on saturday was only my second organised century (though I did a double in nov). Loops around Mt Ruapehu and Mt Ngauruhoe (Mt Doom for you LOTR fans) , starts at 550m, climbs to 1100, back down to 500 and up to 900 and then a 40km cruise home.
Was a bit apprehensive about going too fast but I found a good bunch that was getting along just right. At 20km mark the a short steep climb had me switching to the smaller front ring, or trying too... front derailleur not shifting. Continued on for a bit but the looming hills had me stop and see if I could work it out. Ended up loosening the cable so it went into low gear and did did the remaining 130km like that. Ok on the hills but I couldn't keep up with anyone at much over 35 so spent most of the ride on my own. Ended up getting in after 6.52 hrs, my target was 7 so I was happy with that.

Woke up this morning to the sound of rain on the roof and wind in the trees. Rolled over and got another hour in. Out the door at 8:45 during a dry spell. Had the wind at my back most of the ride and apart from the first 30km it was mostly downhill. Really missing my big gears, spent a lot of the day coasting at 35. Home, exhausted after 7.29hrs, 172.7km

Was a nice ride but I think I might take the car next year.
Old 02-10-08, 07:19 AM
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Godwin
Spray it with a cleaner like simple green and wipe off? If that's not working you might be able to put it in the wash, but you'll need some beeswax to re-waterproof the outside.
Old 02-10-08, 09:17 AM

Bikes: Felt Z80 road bike, Trek 7.2FX hybrid, Jamis Aurora Touring, Volae Voyager recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Godwin
February is done, probably my hardest 162km yet. Made a post in my blog thing.

I have a carradice Nelson Longflap that's gotten quite muddy sometimes. What I've done is to let it dry and then use a very stiff wire brush (eg: ) to brush off all the dried mud/dirt.

It's worked great, though lots of elbow grease required.
Old 02-10-08, 06:17 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
February done - 166 km today.
Old 02-15-08, 05:26 PM
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I must admit I did not see this thread or link to it from the other thread. Here is my last post from the other thread:

"January's century done. Did 108 miles solo on 1-13-08. Nice weather, but was definately tired at the end. Had done 62 miles the day before."

February century done last sunday 2-10-08. Did 101 miles. Warm with very very high winds. About 70 miles of it was with a tailwind so strong I was riding 25-27 MPH and feeling as if I was not even pedaling for most of the last 70 miles!

I will likely do another solo century this weekend as it is supposed to be sunny and nice. What am I saying? I live in South Florida. Short of a massive storm every day is sunny and warm
Old 02-16-08, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feb done. It is slowly getting easier. Still... after 70miles I start struggling. I think I may need to take more than 2 10 min breaks.

It was 19F at the beginning at the mid 50s at the end. My messenger bag started empty and at the end was completely full.
I also weigh 2lbs less so my hydration and eating finally hit the mark.
Old 02-17-08, 01:37 PM
Chocolate and nap

Bikes: Old Peugeot PX10, '1974 custom Gemini racing bike, custom Singer randonneuse (Levallois, France) and Randocycles mountain bike w/rear panniers

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another february century just for the fun of it, and for preparation to a flèche Vélocio of 22 March.
Went to Chateaudun (a castle on the Cher) and Montigny le Gannelon, also on the Cher across the Beauce, a wonderful renaissance chateau owned by the Montmorency and the Laval families.
Anyway, the wind was east, in the nose to come back. 282 km @ 22.1 km/h in exactly 15 hours. Very cold early morning and in the evening and quite warm under the sun. The food was good
Old 02-17-08, 04:01 PM
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another century in February also. Went today for 115 miles. About 6+ hours. Had about 40 miles of headwind at about 15-20 MPH that was kicking my but royally. However, nice side/tail wind on the way back for another 40 miles. For the first time I had a cramp. I had heard lots of people talk about it, but I have to tell you that $**** hurts like a mother f.... Had been drinking quite well, ate appropriately, and it was on the way back with the tail wind, so I was not even doing a ton of effort when it happened. I stopped for a couple of minutes and it went away. I can still feel pain in my thigh when I walk. Did I mentioned how much that $hit hurts?
Old 02-18-08, 04:30 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
did my feb. century this weekend: Seattle to North Bend & back.. 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM - i definitely wasn't haulin arse, but i was steady if nothing else. part of it was with a group, but most of it was solo.

photos of the ride & more on my blog, here.

my race videos
Old 02-19-08, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Puegeot Altitude 21 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am joining into this thread late, so I am listing for two months.

Jan - 107 chilly Miles.
Feb 101 miles, warm weather, but ended up doing about 30 miles in a 15 - 20 mph headwind.
Old 02-19-08, 07:35 PM
Not an internet law-maker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ebrady
I am joining into this thread late, so I am listing for two months.

Jan - 107 chilly Miles.
Feb 101 miles, warm weather, but ended up doing about 30 miles in a 15 - 20 mph headwind.
Congrats! Good to hear of someone else doing wintery centuries.
Old 02-24-08, 09:07 PM
Upgrading my engine

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
February is always the worst month. Spring can't come soon enough.

I did the Horsey Hundred route today in Georgetown, KY. I killed 2 birds with 1 stone by getting my Feb. century in and doing a century in a new state. I have a goal to do a century in every state. KY gives me 4 states (IN, OH, MI, KY). I'm hoping to get 4 more states this year (TN, IL, MO, and NM). We'll see what happens.

As for today, here are the stats:

Distance: 100 miles
Weather: High of 34. Flurries, but no wind.
Time: 6:35

The route was beautiful. I can only wish I had picked a better day to ride it. A combination of the cold, hills, winter legs, and an I-wish-winter-would-end mind led to a slow ride. I hit a bad funk between miles 65-78. I was crawling up hills at 9 mph that should have barely slowed me down. I stopped at mile 78 and took a 20-minute break, which is something I almost never do, especially solo. I spent most of that time eating, and I worked up enough energy to finish the ride on a positive note.

Here's a random picture from the ride:

Old 02-26-08, 09:54 PM

Bikes: Felt Z80 road bike, Trek 7.2FX hybrid, Jamis Aurora Touring, Volae Voyager recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
February!

Did my February century yesterday: beautiful sunny day, warm -- temps between 28 and 45 -- roads dry except for a few stretches that still had snow and ice on them.

I had planned it as 2 loops -- following I think Machka's suggestion for winter centuries. The first loop was 40 miles, I ended up back at home to warm up/eat, taking about 35 minutes, and then I took off for the second, longer (60 mile) loop.

Distance: 102.9 miles
Time: 07:26'28
Avg: 13.83 mph
Climbing: 5966 ft = 57.98 ft/mile

Dxchulo's right, February is the hardest month, I lucked out that I could actually take the whole day yesterday to do this, and that there was actually a day that wasn't too snowy, icy or frigid. Lack of regular riding in the winter took its toll though...

Here's the route:

And here's a creek that part of the route goes along:

I'm thinking that there's a slight possibility that when I do my March century there won't be any snow on the ground...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.