Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Hercules!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 05:10 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by braingel
So I take it there's no way to date it by the serial #?
Not that I have found. I have people in 2 countries trying to date my wife's Hercules Skyliner, not only can they not date it, nobody has ever heard of one!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-21-07, 05:18 PM
My bikes became Vintage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
My first bike in the early 1950s was a Hercules a lot like that with those same handlebars and lugs, but with a S-A 3-speed hub. Also, the chainwheel was the "H" pattern, like tenordl's. I bought it used in the early 50s, so it might have been from the late 1940s. I'm guessing yours is from the 1940s.
Old 02-21-07, 05:28 PM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Not that I have found. I have people in 2 countries trying to date my wife's Hercules Skyliner, not only can they not date it, nobody has ever heard of one!

Aaron
So if this is such a rare treasure, do you owe me more $$$?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 02-21-07, 06:22 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
So if this is such a rare treasure, do you owe me more $$$?
What is that infamous biblical quote about storing up our treasures in heaven and not on earth.... The biggest fun to date has been to try and find some NOS brake pads. They apparently are unique to older Herc's...and not the same as what Raleigh used. It is very unusual compared to the "normal" Hercules threes speeds. My wife will be the belle of the ball at the next ABCE tour of course being the good southern pageant queen she is, she is ALWAYS the belle of the ball

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 02-21-07, 09:24 PM
hunter, gatherer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that was me and i said the that wingnuts looks like s-a type and that the flip/flop hub looks old

this bike looks nice and nearly complete.. i wouldn't replace stuff if there's nothing wrong with it..
nothin wrong with a cottered crankset

Originally Posted by braingel
Someone in the CL thread said it was a Sturmey-Archer hub, but all it says is "Made in England", and it's a flip flop, with both a fixed cog and a freewheel.
Alright, that's all for now. I'm not touching anything yet, and tomorrow there will be plenty of pictures. Any ideas so far?
Old 02-21-07, 09:39 PM
one word, not two

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coelcanth
i wouldn't replace stuff if there's nothing wrong with it..
nothin wrong with a cottered crankset
There's nothing in the entire world that would cause me to take that crankset off.

Other than the seat, everything seems fine. Besides the obvious chain, cables, and housing needing replacement, the only other thing in question is the wheels. The back rim is in pretty good shape, and the spoke tension is still good, but the front rim has flaked off half of its chrome and is rusted. A few of the spokes are bent, and the whole wheel pretty much needs to be rebuilt....so I don't know what to do. I could just rebuild the front wheel with an old steel rim and new spokes, but I'm pretty OCD and like things to match. If I was going to rebuild both wheels with the hubs, should I stick with steel, or just get alloy with a shiny finish? Is that a treacherous thing to do?

Last edited by braingel; 02-22-07 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-22-07, 04:57 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
What is that infamous biblical quote about storing up our treasures in heaven and not on earth.... The biggest fun to date has been to try and find some NOS brake pads. They apparently are unique to older Herc's...and not the same as what Raleigh used. It is very unusual compared to the "normal" Hercules threes speeds. My wife will be the belle of the ball at the next ABCE tour of course being the good southern pageant queen she is, she is ALWAYS the belle of the ball

Aaron
Aaron,

If she will be the "Belle of the Ball," well then, I am more than happy to contribute to her blessed happiness! Have you done any work on polishing the paint yet? That Hercules had to have one of the coolest original paint jobs for a regular production bike that I have ever seen. Especially considering that it was most likely a bike aimed at a child or youth market?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 02-22-07, 07:15 AM
Membership Not Required

Bob,
I have barely gotten it out of the box, I did get it off the kitchen table though My company in their infinite wisdom has kept me on the road over a 5 state area since the first of the year. Once things get settled down and I am assigned a permanent project I will get going on it. About the paint job...I have some pictures of an early 50's Hercules Tourist it has a similar paint job in black. Same white highlights and gold striping around the lugs. I still would like to find out more about the history of the Skyliner and whose skyline it is on the decals...

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 02-23-07, 08:31 AM
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
*cough*

Braingel, this might be for you:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HERCULES-BICYC...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-23-07, 10:43 PM
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
way cool . the crank is geat and the pedels too. I can ask around the local harness and buggy shop about the leather work for the sadle. The amish seem to do nice work. I passed up a herc and a robin hood a couple months ago because I didnt wont to bid over $20 each, man am I regreting it. both went for under 40