Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1987) CENTURION Le Mans RS

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Road Test/Bike Review (1987) CENTURION Le Mans RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Got a '86 Elite RS in a 60, frame only weighs in at 4.82 lbs
I don't think the straight gauge stays on the LeMans would add over a pound, but I don't know. Both are Tange 2
Also have an '88 Le Mans complete, and it weighs in at 26.11 in a 56cm
I'm thinking the 6 pounds 4 oz must be the frameset weight. Or I guess the frame could be 5 pounds 4 oz....but that would be one heavy Tange 2 frame.
Old 06-06-23, 11:18 AM

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
With the stock fork, 6.54 pounds in the 60cm
I think you called it.
Old 06-06-23, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
There's one about this vintage on my local CL for $100 - https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/d...629021584.html - on the small-ish side
Old 09-01-23, 10:49 AM
Vintage aged

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Sweet, I just picked up a 1987 Centurion LeMans RS in turqoise/white, and when I check Bike Forums today I find an article posted earlier this year showing a 1987 Centurion LeMans RS in turqoise/white.

Thank you very much.
Likes For Fulltime1wd:
Old 09-01-23, 12:12 PM

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Last night I was trawling FB marketplace and saw one of these in this paint scheme (and my size!) listed for $30. It was gone by breakfast time today.

I sold my magenta & white LeMans with all the rust spots and mismatched wheels a couple of weeks ago. I didn't need it, the stable is already too full. And yet I still was kinda bummed I missed out on the '87 this morning.
Old 09-01-23, 12:33 PM
Vintage aged

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Last night I was trawling FB marketplace and saw one of these in this paint scheme (and my size!) listed for $30. It was gone by breakfast time today.

I sold my magenta & white LeMans with all the rust spots and mismatched wheels a couple of weeks ago. I didn't need it, the stable is already too full. And yet I still was kinda bummed I missed out on the '87 this morning.
I picked it up by breakfast time today. The ancient tires and tubes are brittle of course, just for fun I put some air in, then when it started hissing out via the leak my cat ran into the room to investigate the sound.

I'm very excited, I've been looking for a nice vintage down-tube shifter roadbike for awhile now. Since I well-remember the late 1980's beach colors fashion trend (thanks, Miami Vice), finding one in turquoise/white with a pink water bottle cage was icing on the cake.
Old 09-01-23, 12:35 PM

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by Fulltime1wd
I picked it up by breakfast time today. The ancient tires and tubes are brittle of course, just for fun I put some air in, then when it started hissing out via the leak my cat ran into the room to investigate the sound.

I'm very excited, I've been looking for a nice vintage down-tube shifter roadbike for awhile now. Since I well-remember the late 1980's beach colors fashion trend (thanks, Miami Vice), finding one in turquoise/white with a pink water bottle cage was icing on the cake.
Congratulations! You got one AWESOME bike that punches WAAAY above its weight, and for a killer steal of a price. I don't suppose you're the guy who beat me to the Cannondale SM500 somebody listed for $10 in the Greenville area, are you?
Old 09-01-23, 12:45 PM
Vintage aged

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Congratulations! You got one AWESOME bike that punches WAAAY above its weight, and for a killer steal of a price. I don't suppose you're the guy who beat me to the Cannondale SM500 somebody listed for $10 in the Greenville area, are you?
No, if I saw a Cannondale SM500 for $10 I would snap that right up! Weirdly, I think I saw a guy riding an SM500 on the Swamp Rabbit Trail yesterday. It had some 3-digit number decal on the frame I dunno what exactly.

I'm still bummed about a very nice bright red Trek Antelope that was available for FREE last month but by the time I saw the ad there was already someone en route to pick it up. I mean the red paint looked almost flawless, as if it had sat in a garage for 30 years.