Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

So, how big is too big?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

So, how big is too big?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-20, 09:54 PM

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
I really can’t stand over this bike without touching, but it’s one of my favorites. Much rather too big, then too small.
Tim

1992 Waterford Paramount OS

That’s exactly how I like my bikes to fit.
Old 06-03-20, 05:25 AM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
BITD i always gravitated toward a 24" frame. When the Le Champion was lost, I found a Colnago that is a 58. The issue I have is that the Campagnolo seat post is has the minimum line in "saddle" of the seat lug and I have to use a Brooks Pro to get the saddle near the right height. I loved riding the bike and it is a favorite. No longer has the splash tape.
P7021663 on Flickr

Then I found a Pinarello Montello in 60. I couldn't believe how comfortable it is. It is now my go to bike. Replaced 740x DA with Chorus.
P1010551 , on Flickr

A person at work decided to get rid of his Langster. It is a 61. I thought that was too big but couldn't turn down a good deal and I was curious about riding a SS/FG bike. It works really well for me. It is a kick to ride and in a commuting ride it is no faster or slower than any other bike I use.
2010 Langster Steel 61cm, on Flickr

I too am shorter with age. My pant inseam is 32 and my CBH is 35. based on the pictures of others bikes. It looks like even these are too short! Or is my saddle too high? I set it at the maximum such that at 110 or 120 rpm my but doesn't rock. Looks like my bars are always at the lowest setting with ~ 2" lower than the saddle. My stem length is about 110. I use the Pinarello as a standard in setting up all other bikes. I believe you will adjust to whatever you create. At the same time, the more you ride the more you need to make adjustments until you reach a stable level of performance. I am lucky to be able to ride these with my 70 years.
Old 06-03-20, 10:34 PM

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Beicster brings up an interesting point.

Something I'm still trying to wrap my head around is this 'I put a longer stem on it and now its more comfortable'. It's weird. I always thought that the closer the handlebars were, the more comfortable the bike would be, but there is no consistently positive correlation between comfort going up and the handlebars moving closer. If anything, I've started to read multiple comments about how people have some pain (back or neck) and they throw a longer stem on, and all of the sudden, things get more comfortable.

I'm trying to figure out why...? If the stem moves the handlebars farther away, then typically the torso is spread out farther and flatter, and in turn, you have to tilt your neck up further to see up ahead, which in my mind would cause more pain. Can riders who relate to this share their experience? What is uncomfortable about having a closer stem/handlebars? Is there a strange 'middle' position that is not quite upright and not quite 'road bike' position that is less comfortable?

I'm trying to figure out proper stem length to compensate for the longer top tube, but short of buying 10 different stems of different lengths, I'm not really sure how to go about it.

Also, is lack of pressure on the hands when riding in a more traditional 'road bike' position (on the hoods, etc) more of a handlebar position thing, or more of a core muscle thing? Unless the handlebars are jacked way up or way closer, it seems inevitable that there will be pressure on the hands from so much forward weight. It sounds like the seat tube length is easy to figure out - if there is enough room to adjust the saddle to your preferred/ideal legstroke while pedaling, you are g-t-g. The top tube length seems more of a mystery.
If the stem is too short for me, it jacks my shoulders up, and my neck kinda sinks down between my shoulder blades and I get killer pain the morning after a big ride. It’s fine for commuting, maybe better cause you can see traffic, but for a few hours in the saddle it’ll hurt.