Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-14, 05:13 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
I can see that. I would imagine they'll have their eye on anyone doing this "shortcut" upgrade and will put them in the 4's or 5's if they aren't up to snuff out there. Of course all it takes is one screwup but it is what it is.

And they do make you take a written test (basic track rules) first, so you're not just upgrading based on fitness alone. In theory you could pass that test but have no idea to handle a tarck bike, but luckily for everyone I have ridden such a bike quite a few times.
So your hipster fixie days count as experience?

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-13-14, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Why does every conversation around here have to devolve into a doping debate?
because of dopers like you?
Old 05-13-14, 08:58 PM

Bikes: Type of horse.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I moved into a house over the weekend. I haven't slept this deeply in a long time. I have not dreamed consistently in years and all of a sudden every night is full of dreams. Bizarre. Cleaner air and less noise is my guess...
Old 05-14-14, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
I can see that. I would imagine they'll have their eye on anyone doing this "shortcut" upgrade and will put them in the 4's or 5's if they aren't up to snuff out there. Of course all it takes is one screwup but it is what it is.

And they do make you take a written test (basic track rules) first, so you're not just upgrading based on fitness alone. In theory you could pass that test but have no idea to handle a tarck bike, but luckily for everyone I have ridden such a bike quite a few times.
autodowngrade.
Old 05-14-14, 07:37 AM
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glueing tubies has that religious experience type of feel. For the future, does anyone have suggestions for removing old glue, without consuming 5+ hours of my life?
Old 05-14-14, 07:52 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
that's a sign you need more ventilation
Old 05-14-14, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
that's a sign you need more ventilation
+1

I'm supposed to remove the old glue ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-14-14, 09:17 AM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
So your hipster fixie days count as experience?
No, on the track!

However the fixie days did teach me how to do backwards circles, always a head turner.

my race videos
Old 05-14-14, 09:42 AM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kindablue
Glueing tubies has that religious experience type of feel. For the future, does anyone have suggestions for removing old glue, without consuming 5+ hours of my life?
butter knife dipped in goof-off; almost kinda like cutting butter with a hot knife
Old 05-14-14, 10:22 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
because of dopers like you?
Haha. I'm a Cat5 when it comes to needles.

Seriously I am afraid of them.
Old 05-14-14, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
butter knife dipped in goof-off; almost kinda like cutting butter with a hot knife
does it really work that well/easily? cool.

i rarely have to clean the rims (as in almost never....i've had to do it a couple times when vittoria base tape detached from the tire and proved weaker than the bond between glue and rim!!). i know some folks who soak a section of the wheel at a time in goof off which minimizes the elbow grease required, but i don't like to soak the rims. i've got a promising new product on the way to me that i'm going to try...but not sure when the opportunity will next pop up. you basically apply it to the rim like tubular glue and then wipe off.
Old 05-14-14, 01:04 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts

Me too. I request the kid needles (pediatric?). They're much smaller than adult ones. I was also the one more freaked out when Junior got his first shots, I actually had to leave the room. After that I've stayed but not looked at the needle. Now that he's bigger someone has to hold him so that's me.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-14-14, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
I don't mind needles that much, but I have only used them for reverse doping (giving blood).

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-14-14, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
Not in my experience.

As I mentioned not too long ago, I recently went through the process of removing the glue from three tubular rims. One because the base tape stayed on the rim and the other two because I was on a role.

The worst one took a very long time. Lots of solvent and digging in and pulling it off with a screw driver and needle nose pliers. The other two were easier, but nothing like a hot knife through butter.
Old 05-14-14, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I don't mind needles that much, but I have only used them for reverse doping (giving blood).
I don't mind them at all, now. It was the comb being pounded into my skin when I had a tattoo tapped that I didn't like. Compared to that getting a shot is like a mosquito bite.
Old 05-14-14, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

Turns out familiarity breeds contempt. I had a surgery when I was 16 that before and after required a fair bit of needle-sticking for various tests. After a while, I got to the point where I was basically like "yeah, yeah, let's just get this over with." The effect wore off over the years, though. 12 years later, I'm back to hating the damn things. I don't pass out or anything, but I can't watch when I get poked.
Old 05-14-14, 01:50 PM

Tubular glue - spray with Contractor Solvent, put rim on some cardboard or some other disposable thing, wait a bit, spray more, etc. At some point it should be such that you can wipe it clean.

I've never tried it but the 5 time Jr national champ in town, his dad does this with all the Zipp wheels they own (cross and road). He bought them by the case where I used to work before he started sourcing them himself.

Pro De-Solv-it® CONTRACTORS' SOLVENT™ REMOVES ALL THIS!
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-14-14, 01:50 PM

My budget has been off for the promotion stuff. Depositing more money into the account to clear stuff. Again. Ugh.
Old 05-14-14, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Turns out familiarity breeds contempt. I had a surgery when I was 16 that before and after required a fair bit of needle-sticking for various tests. After a while, I got to the point where I was basically like "yeah, yeah, let's just get this over with." The effect wore off over the years, though. 12 years later, I'm back to hating the damn things. I don't pass out or anything, but I can't watch when I get poked.
Same here. Hated them as a kid. But, then I had to get shots on a weekly basis for several years (like age 10-13) and they became neutral. I then avoided them for many years after that and now I can get shots, give blood, etc as long as I don't have to watch.
Old 05-14-14, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I got allergy shots from about the age of 5 to about 13. In that time, I came to tolerate being shot, but not needles. I still cannot look at them going into my skin or anyone else's - real or on TV.

I also don't like watching surgeries, real or fictional, or seeing gruesome scars and injuries.
Old 05-14-14, 01:57 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had some horrific experiences with doctors and needles as a child that I won't get into here.
Old 05-14-14, 01:58 PM
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Needles are nothing to me. Years back I needed to have a procedure done on my eye and was questioned if I could handle it awake. I think getting a giant needle to the eye socket with the shaft pressing against the eyeball is about as extreme as it gets... at least fear wise. "Watching" the procedure was interesting...
Old 05-14-14, 02:19 PM
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Tubular glue - spray with Contractor Solvent, put rim on some cardboard or some other disposable thing, wait a bit, spray more, etc. At some point it should be such that you can wipe it clean.

I've never tried it but the 5 time Jr national champ in town, his dad does this with all the Zipp wheels they own (cross and road). He bought them by the case where I used to work before he started sourcing them himself.

Pro De-Solv-it® CONTRACTORS' SOLVENT™ REMOVES ALL THIS!
Kool, I will give it a shot. I was dreading replacing my rear tubular.
Old 05-14-14, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I got allergy shots from about the age of 5 to about 13. In that time, I came to tolerate being shot, but not needles. I still cannot look at them going into my skin or anyone else's - real or on TV.

I also don't like watching surgeries, real or fictional, or seeing gruesome scars and injuries.
I used to get these for bee stings, still no real clue if it did much. I carry an epipen for all rides to be safe.

Fun story...my bee allergy likely developed when I was about 4. My older brother (6 at the time) told me to go check out this bee hive in the barn behind our house. So, when I got close, he chucked a big rock at it and I got stung dozens of times in the head. No adverse reaction other than a ton of pain and fear. Good fun!

Some 3 years later in elementary school, a group of us thought we'd see how many bees we could catch (I didn't know I was allergic yet). Naturally, I got stung and ignored it until about 20 minutes later when I was covered in hives. The school nurse called my mom and sent me home telling her I'd be ok. My mom, luckily, was wiser and we went to the hospital where I collapsed and stopped breathing. A few shots later and all was good.

I've been stung a few times since, but used an anakit (pre-epipen days) or an epipen before any signs of reaction set in.
Old 05-14-14, 02:53 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider

i rarely have to clean the rims (as in almost never....i've had to do it a couple times when vittoria base tape detached from the tire and proved weaker than the bond between glue and rim!!). i know some folks who soak a section of the wheel at a time in goof off which minimizes the elbow grease required, but i don't like to soak the rims. i've got a promising new product on the way to me that i'm going to try...but not sure when the opportunity will next pop up. you basically apply it to the rim like tubular glue and then wipe off.
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Not in my experience.

As I mentioned not too long ago, I recently went through the process of removing the glue from three tubular rims. One because the base tape stayed on the rim and the other two because I was on a role.

The worst one took a very long time. Lots of solvent and digging in and pulling it off with a screw driver and needle nose pliers. The other two were easier, but nothing like a hot knife through butter.
oh i admit i used a bit of poetic license there. But it really does work better than most other methods i've tried (e.g. Goof off alone and elbow grease). With the butterknife, you basically scrap from side to the middle, dip in more Goof off as you go. The process will leave you a surface thati's probably clean enough, but i go at it again with a rag and Goof off to remove any major remaining glue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.