Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What tail light do you use for long, long rides?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 11:44 AM
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

I'm looking for a light I can strap to my seatpost that is not bulky, has an easy mounting system, is bright enough for daytime rides, and can last for several hours (think centuries, etc).

I've currently been using a Serfas seat-stay light off my wife's bike, but I don't want to keep buying batteries for it, and I know it dims as they wear out. (I have one strapped to the back of my helmet as well).

I was looking at the Serfas thunderbolt, but read the battery life per ride is not even close to long enough.

Suggestions?
Old 01-23-17, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
DAYTIME RED Taillight - 400+ Lumens seat post, seat stay, chain stay or rack mount (Li-ion Endurance Series)
Old 01-23-17, 11:48 AM

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
My Cygolite Hotshot is good for about 1600-1800 miles of riding in flashing mode. I charge it once every two to three months.
Old 01-23-17, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 118 Posts
I use the planet bike Superflash Stealth with 750 or 1000 mah NiMH AAA batteries. So far I've gotten it up to about 9 hours or straight runtime in flashing mode - no noticeable decrease in brightness. I usually charge after every long ride or once every couple of weeks.

Claimed runtime is 100 hours but I would be suspicious of that claim, like most bike lights.
Old 01-23-17, 11:52 AM
bill nyecycles

Oh I should add I'm looking for USB charging as well - so sick of going through expensive batteries.
Old 01-23-17, 11:55 AM
bill nyecycles

No thanks, I'm looking for something self-contained.

Originally Posted by jimincalif
My Cygolite Hotshot is good for about 1600-1800 miles of riding in flashing mode. I charge it once every two to three months.
Yeah I have a hotshot I use on my commuters - I guess I could just order another mounting clip for it - the aesthetic perfectionist in me didn't want to have that permanently on my seatpost though.
Old 01-23-17, 11:55 AM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I use a Cateye Rapid X2. Very clean mounting, USB rechargeable, reasonably bright, and it is supposed to last 16 hours on flashing modes (I just charge it once a week). If you are looking for a light that can last a LONG time on a solid light mode, that might be harder to find.

People swear by the Bontrager Flare R, but I don't have any experience with that light.
Old 01-23-17, 12:07 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Jim, I'm assuming you're not running your light on maximum.
I have the Cygolite hotshot 80 usb and always run it on max (50 lumens).
Max strobe will last me about 4 hours, per charge.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Last edited by Nachoman; 01-23-17 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,676 Times in 7,369 Posts
They make rechargeable batteries these days.
Old 01-23-17, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
People swear by the Bontrager Flare R, but I don't have any experience with that light.
It used to be a great light... note I said "used to be". I had the 1st gen and it was awesome, bright, long lasting etc. My first ride I had the light on 65 lumens daylight flash mode for just over 7 hours and it wasn't even down to the "blinking red" which is 25% of power and is supposed to provide 2 hours of lower lumens flash. The lower piece of the slot that attach to the strap broke so it was replaced under warranty with the 2nd gen. I'm on my 3rd light in 2 months. They keep crapping out, the last one stopped working on Friday, it was showing green when I left the house and rode 14 miles to the beach. I got off bike there and noticed it was off. I had to smack it against the saddle a few times and it came back on. Few more miles had a flat and I noticed it was off again. I plugged in at home and it wouldn't even come on. I went to the shop but one last time I tried turning it on, this time I blew into the connector and voila it came on, a few times then was dead again. I've been in touch with an engineer at Trek and the light is on it's way to them. I suspect a design flaw, you can't easily close the rubber cover over the charging port and water and dirt is getting in and causing a short. Almost every morning ride of mine involves water here in south Florida where the water has to cover a 20 foot diameter arc to water a 3 foot median or swale. If they fix the problems with the light it will once again be an awesome long lasting light
Old 01-23-17, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have have a few rear lights, but my favorite is the Cateye Rapid X3

It's very bright, has left/right separate patterns that allow you to dial in the level of "blinkiness" that works for you, and the battery lasts a very long time. I commute with mine every day, plus longer rides on the weekends, 10+ hours, and I still have juice at the end of the week.

Also it has by far the best mounting solution I've tried of any tail light. Comes on and off easily and you can mount it anywhere. I usually put mine on one of the seat stays.
Old 01-23-17, 12:38 PM

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
No thanks, I'm looking for something self-contained.

Yeah I have a hotshot I use on my commuters - I guess I could just order another mounting clip for it - the aesthetic perfectionist in me didn't want to have that permanently on my seatpost though.
Get the hotshot micro, it has a silicone strap, USB charging, would definitely last a century.
Old 01-23-17, 12:40 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Axiom Pulse 60. 7 hours run time.

Axiom is the Perfomance Bike house brand.

Old 01-23-17, 12:47 PM

Bikes: 2009 caad 9

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hot shot 50 that I use for night rides, commuting etc...I have had it for 6 months and I think I just charged it for the 2nd time. I quickly clip it on the loop on my saddle bag of whichever bike I plan to ride that day. I got it because I wanted a light that didn't attach to my frame at all, I didn't think my thunderbolt was all that bright, and I got tired of charging it once a week at least.

So, another vote for the hotshot. Definitely lots and lots of battery life.
Old 01-23-17, 12:58 PM
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
That's what I use . . . with the 4 cell battery. It's sufficiently bright that it takes away all excuses for a motorist not seeing you. I've had people pull up beside me (in their cars) asking what it is -- so they can buy one for themselves or for family members. Great light. And very bright.
Old 01-23-17, 01:06 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I use a wired to the Dyno hub head/taillight now, it will have a 10,000+ hour Diode life span.

Clever item is the light skin seatpost, 5 LED array within the seatpost itself.

Old 01-23-17, 01:10 PM
Banned

'Science Guy' should know the brighter the light (w) load, the shorter the battery life amp/hours..

One thing that can be said for the blinking mode, is it stretches the amp-hour life span of batteries.

because I have a saddle bag behind my seat, when my 30 year old vista light quit

[one of the battery terminal spring contacts broke]

I had it screwed thru the lid to a stiffener strip I made .

So the replacement had to be screw mountable.

I ordered a Planet bike 'Grateful Red', which came with their rack mount clip plus a seat post mount

The light itself slides into either mount, on its back there is a clip to slide over a strap or pocket edge .

I dont have a need for a long run time on that bike.. as its my snow bike,

lights come off to go in my warm pockets.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-23-17 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 01:50 PM
bill nyecycles

anyone have any experience with this one: https://www.amazon.com/Blitzu-Rechar...f_rd_i=desktop
??
Its got a lot of reviews and a good rating, but, i'm dubious because of how cheap it is..
Old 01-23-17, 01:55 PM
Banned

^^USB light like that .. just put an extra one, or 2, charged , in your pocket ..

too cheap? New Trump import Tariffs will make it more expensive.

NB; Paris Brest Paris , now (AFAIK) requires a Dynamo light, and a battery backup..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-23-17 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 02:52 PM
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by howheels
I have have a few rear lights, but my favorite is the Cateye Rapid X3

It's very bright, has left/right separate patterns that allow you to dial in the level of "blinkiness" that works for you, and the battery lasts a very long time. I commute with mine every day, plus longer rides on the weekends, 10+ hours, and I still have juice at the end of the week.

Also it has by far the best mounting solution I've tried of any tail light. Comes on and off easily and you can mount it anywhere. I usually put mine on one of the seat stays.
this one looks like the best - especially with the simple strap, but, dang, $60.
Old 01-23-17, 04:05 PM

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Di2, Cannondale F1000 SL

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The Knog Kid Grid is outstanding. Easy to mount, light, rechargeable and super bright: https://www.amazon.com/Knog-Blinder-...=knog+kid+grid
Old 01-23-17, 04:17 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Cygolite Hotshot 2 good for ~15 hours on triple-flash.
Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 good for ~10 hours on triple-flash.

So either will do a century with no problem, but the Pro 150 is probably about 3x as bright. I would reckon the Hotshot 100 would fall somewhere in between the two, but I'd just spend the extra couple of bucks on the Pro 150. It is ridiculously bright.
Old 01-23-17, 04:33 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
anyone have any experience with this one: https://www.amazon.com/Blitzu-Rechar...f_rd_i=desktop
??
Its got a lot of reviews and a good rating, but, i'm dubious because of how cheap it is..

I own this light.

The cover to the USB port fell off and I can't get back on.

It also grows dim as it runs out of charge. I think it lacks the circuitry of other lights which keep brightness steady until the battery is completely discharged. The charge doesn't last very long on full brightness, less than two hours.

I don't regret buying it given the price. It goes on the non-drive side seat stay in steady mode and augments rear facing seatpost and helmet lamps for night riding only. The light it gives off is extremely visible in the way those car tail lights with millions of little LED's are.

If it lasts a couple of years then I'll be happy. Just another tool for being visible and the price is right. Someone said there is an unbranded version shipped from China for $12 or $13.

Bottom line - it should not be your first light but as a second or third light it is a decent enough. Would make a great second light for a commuter bike.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-23-17 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 04:37 PM

Bikes: FM098-V2, '16 Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RushFan2112
The Knog Kid Grid is outstanding. Easy to mount, light, rechargeable and super bright: https://www.amazon.com/Knog-Blinder-...=knog+kid+grid
Came to recommend this. On top of excellent light+battery+attachment, it's IP67 rated, and it's earned it;-)

(The Bontrager Flare R is very nice, too, and it's IP46 rated, which should be enough for most purposes ... I've had it take on water in a 12hr downpour, though, so don't expect it to be your backup on brevets.)
Old 01-23-17, 05:27 PM

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Jim, I'm assuming you're not running your light on maximum.
I have the Cygolite hotshot 80 usb and always run it on max (50 lumens).
Max strobe will last me about 4 hours, per charge.
I don't know that mine has a brightness adjustment. I can change the flash pattern/frequency. I have it on a pretty short flash pattern that no doubt stretches out the battery life. I had a car driver come up next to me and tell me he could see it way back even when driving into the sun. Also I find it uncomfortable to look directly at it, so it's pretty darn bright.

It does have a pretty narrow beam of maximum brightness, but since it spreads out with distance it seems to do what I need. I think I read somewhere that newer models might have a wider beam, but haven't really looked into them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.