Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on roller shape?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any thoughts on roller shape?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-17, 07:17 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4845 Post(s)
Liked 3,974 Times in 2,581 Posts
And my joke for the day:

"Any thoughts on roller shape?"

Unless you are training for the Paris-Roubaix, get cylindrical rollers. For the P-R you can easily make square rollers out of wood for the back, triangular for the front.

Ben
Old 12-05-17, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Ride those.

Do not ride hand made glued on tread tires. Rollers will de-laminate tread. Use a less expensive clincher. This is an area not to use a racing tubular. I won't let junior roller ride for race warm-up on tubulars.

The small dia ones offer more resistance, and destroy tires faster. Just go bigger - 5" and enjoy. You are doing the gym you said. Spin out and chill on the rollers.
Thanks for this. I don't know if the same is true of tubeless or not, but if there's a chance, I'd rather save my good wheels for outside. That's what I bough them for.
Old 12-05-17, 07:40 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Thanks for this. I don't know if the same is true of tubeless or not, but if there's a chance, I'd rather save my good wheels for outside. That's what I bough them for.
It is really more how the tread is attached, roller dia, total weight, pressure and speed. If the tread is glued on (common to very high end) - don't use it.

Playing coach - I think you nailed it with the gym for strength and then ride to keep the legs/body used to it.
I think very little power is developed on the bike. Many disagree with me and I'm happy for it. I won't go to the mat on that one, it is the season of giving - and you are doing it right.
Old 12-05-17, 07:48 PM

I feel like lifting heavy at the gym is plenty. I'm still riding outside when I get a chance, it's hilly, I don't need to do big watts inside. What I want is to still be used to riding a bike when spring rolls around.

Is it a given I'm going to fall while figuring them out? I have pretty good bike handling skills. I'm sure I can improve my pedal stroke, that's one of the things that's attractive to me about rollers.
Old 12-06-17, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Even rollers without resistance, you can make them harder--lower your tire pressure from rock-hard and use your gears.
That's true. If you ever had any doubt of the significance of rolling resistance, play around with different tires on rollers. Tire width, tread and pressure make a huge, HUGE difference on rollers. It can feel like the difference between riding on glass and riding on wet sand. Not sure how wear is affected, though, or how it corresponds with riding on pavement.
Old 12-06-17, 08:10 AM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I feel like lifting heavy at the gym is plenty. I'm still riding outside when I get a chance, it's hilly, I don't need to do big watts inside. What I want is to still be used to riding a bike when spring rolls around.

Is it a given I'm going to fall while figuring them out? I have pretty good bike handling skills. I'm sure I can improve my pedal stroke, that's one of the things that's attractive to me about rollers.
Riding rollers will improve your technique. If you practice on them.

You'll find out very quickly how much of a laser line you hold while riding, and how lopsided your cadence is. You'll also find out if/how-much you've been pedal-coast-pedal-coasting, IOW your actual endurance at a given cadence. Will also improve your core a bit--as an indolent cat can ride a trainer; but you need to use your core like you would on the road to ride rollers.

Said another way...in a paceline of friend-amateurs, you can tell who rides rollers in the off-season and who doesn't just by holding their wheel.
Old 12-06-17, 12:36 PM
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Said another way...in a paceline of friend-amateurs, you can tell who rides rollers in the off-season and who doesn't just by holding their wheel.
There's always that ONE guy that causes splits in the group because he can't hold a line or ride tempo.
Old 12-06-17, 05:06 PM
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,720 Times in 2,537 Posts
I was a long time roller user, but I just didn't feel like I got enough out of it to be worth my time. A trainer is much better for me.

I have gotten awfully close to riding off the side of my rollers when watching tv. I usually wake up in time. Not sure about parabolic rollers though. I feel like going off the rollers isn't that big of a deal most of the time. I always have something to grab on one side of the rollers.
Old 12-07-17, 11:50 AM

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Got the cheapest "Performance" brand rollers many years ago, as much as i like upgrades, never felt a need for anything more expensive/sophisticated.
Great for improving your handling skills. Once you learn to use them, all this "Parabolic" gimmicks are just that - gimmicks.
Old 12-07-17, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by vtje
... all this "Parabolic" gimmicks are just that - gimmicks.
You can ride parabolic rollers no hands, blind folded.
Old 12-08-17, 10:36 AM

I decided to get the Tacx with moderately parabolic rollers. It sounds like it'll ease the learning curve, which is great, and not really harm me in the long run. While people with a lot of experience seem to prefer the smoothness of metal drums, it also sounds like the plastic ones will feel less "icy" while I get started.

In other news, they've started grooming ski trails about an hour from here, so I have my weekend plans figured out.
Old 12-08-17, 11:37 AM

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You can ride parabolic rollers no hands, blind folded.
Well, it all depends on your goal. If you want to improve your skills and not be bored to death, then may be you will welcome a little challenge?
Given I been riding rollers for years, I ride my rollers no hands, standing, etc. I can take off my jersey while riding (goes back to riding blindfolded), it just took a bit of a practice.
I can also ride white line on a road one hand, looking back, etc. for miles without even paying attention, thanks to practicing on my rollers, so there is a clear benefit.
Old 12-08-17, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Well, it all depends on your goal. If you want to improve your skills and not be bored to death, then may be you will welcome a little challenge?
Given I been riding rollers for years, I ride my rollers no hands, standing, etc. I can take off my jersey while riding (goes back to riding blindfolded), it just took a bit of a practice.
I can also ride white line on a road one hand, looking back, etc. for miles without even paying attention, thanks to practicing on my rollers, so there is a clear benefit.

That's pretty good, but it's just a straight line.

If you had ridden parabolic rollers, you'd be able to ride a parabola no hands, etc. etc..
Old 12-08-17, 12:22 PM

OP shared his goal was not building skill. I believe he is fairly fast (faster than I think I am) and fairly skilled already. The goal is to ride more with the shorter days - and I think, as the OP lifts, spin out the legs.
One of the ways not to be bored is watch a movie, read a book etc., which is more easily done in chill mode on parabolic rollers. I mentioned that in post 23.

...I ride my rollers no hands, standing, etc. I can take off my jersey while riding (goes back to riding blindfolded), it just took a bit of a practice.
But can you ride no-hands on hot-dogs while riding in the train?
Old 12-08-17, 12:48 PM

@Doge - I would be shocked if I was as fast as you. I'm no slouch, but if we ever competed I'm sure your vast knowledge of racecraft and of training for racing would pay off in spades.
Old 12-08-17, 01:40 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
So, whatcha gonna do?
Old 12-08-17, 01:46 PM

@Doge - I would be shocked if I was as fast as you. I'm no slouch, but if we ever competed I'm sure your vast knowledge of racecraft and of training for racing would pay off in spades.
It is stupid for me to argue that, until some day we meet at a race venue. I'm old and overweight and when I did race - I was OK. As I've been into the sport (race fan, groupie, job, dad of racer) since the early 70s I do get the talk down OK.
I'm at my best on Bike Forums :-)
Old 12-08-17, 02:06 PM

@Seattle Forrest
Besides the dad nature of that video, notice those rollers - Kreitler Hot Dogs. They are narrower. The diameter is midsize so they offer more resistance than the bigger, less than the smaller.
There is a bit of standing, no hands. Tougher stuff is stopping, jumping on and off. Riding in reverse on a fixed gear is something I could never do. But basically they take some concentration. While the parabolic don't.

My opinion about the importance of those skills is still open. I put my kid on rollers early in his single digit years. We live in SoCal so for us, rollers were for warm-up/when we couldn't ride (the train) and were not used that much.

As to the skills, I think body control is always important, but the way you ride on rollers may not be the way you want to ride on the road.
Standing on rollers <> standing on road. You just don't have the pedal force. You can put it in the 53X11 but it is not the same.
Old 12-09-17, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Seattle Forrest I put my kid on rollers early in his single digit years.
I take it you mean "early, in his single digit years" not "early in his single digit years" Or did you really start him out on rollers when he was a toddler?
Old 12-09-17, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by kbarch
I take it you mean "early, in his single digit years" not "early in his single digit years" Or did you really start him out on rollers when he was a toddler?
That is what I meant. Age 6. It was his 2nd grade show and tell riding in front of the class.
Old 12-09-17, 09:36 AM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Set-up a fixed gear for roller work, there is no better way to smooth pedaling technique and learn light relaxed control inputs via relentless feedback loops.

-Bandera
Old 12-09-17, 10:23 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Standing on rollers <> standing on road. You just don't have the pedal force. You can put it in the 53X11 but it is not the same.
The Sportcrafter Overdrive progressive resistance drum comes pretty close.

-Tim-
Old 12-09-17, 03:39 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3910 Post(s)
Liked 1,959 Times in 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The Sportcrafter Overdrive progressive resistance drum comes pretty close.

-Tim-
The resistance on my ancient rollers allows me to put it in 53X12 (I don't ride with an 11) and get well into zone 3 at about 70 rpm. I think the Sportcrafter set has even more resistance. Standing is similar to standing on the flat, similar issues with getting a nice pedal turnover at low cadence. I have straight 4" ABS drums.
Old 12-09-17, 04:13 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 749 Posts
I have a set of Performance rollers that are as good as when I bought them 30 yrs. ago. I just picked up a set of Kreitlers for cheap. I've only used rollers in the off season. I once went for a fitting where they measured the efficiency of your pedaling. In this test 100% was a perfect circle. The guy doing the testing said, "A good recreational rider hits 60%. You're doing 85% in each leg. No imbalance. How are you doing that?" (Bear in mind I'm 71 yrs. old). I said, " I don't know but I've only trained on rollers. Never owned a trainer." His response? "Of course."
Old 12-10-17, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH
So, whatcha gonna do?
Tacx Galexia. I haven't ordered them yet, though. I'm turning 40 in a week and a half, Beth and I are renting a cabin in the mountains near some ski trails, and considering the possibility of a heli-ski tour. Going to order them when we leave unless we spend too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.