Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Poll: your relationship to Strava going forward

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: How do you plan to use Strava going forward?
I'm going to use it for free
41.33%
I'm going to start paying
9.69%
I'm going to continue to pay
41.33%
I'm going to stop using it
7.65%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: your relationship to Strava going forward

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 10:47 PM
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked 3,144 Times in 1,701 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm curious how that happened if you feel like sharing?

PS you ride more than I do.
it’s usually regarding a route or portions of a ride or an entire ride...nearly always in a low info/intel area. someone will come across a ride i’ve done recently that they’re curious about. tire size? support? parking/bathrooms? dirt/gravel/paved percentage(s)? difficulty?...i’ve done the same in researching out of town rides. sometimes invites get extended. sometimes not. sometimes bike forums applicable regional forum rides to the rescue with these questions. i know if i finally make it up to the pnw and hit north cascades or rainier or olympic or the like and posted applicable questions about the area, you’d likely be as helpful as always. i probably overshare in the socal forum but i figure someone else probably has the same question about the same area. some of the regional forums are pretty ded. occasionally, the touring forum comes up huge with info. i ride solo about 95% of the time so it’s a nice change for
me. seems like most of the riders I’ve met this way usually ride with at least one other person.
i don’t have any issues playing tour guide if necessary. some people seem to prefer riding with someone that has ridden the area before vs winging it on their own.
meeting up with people ends up being like a forum ride, except on a micro scale.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-24-20 at 10:53 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-25-20, 06:29 AM

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 267 Posts
I’d go to a dollar a month to get the old free functions back. 50,000,000 subscribers. They ought to make money.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 05-26-20 at 06:56 PM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 05-25-20, 09:05 AM

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
My wife is wanting me to sign up for the pay version for that reason. She worries about me when I ride. All the other stuff is nothing to me as I use it to keep track of the mileage on my different bikes. Is it real time and how accurate is it? Joe
hello buddy, my wife was same way. We use LIFE360 for the whole family, free and very accurate.

JAG
Old 05-25-20, 09:54 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked 3,231 Times in 1,702 Posts
Don't pay for it, won't start now. I use Cycling Analytics to track my training and power data, which is a great app.

I mainly use Strava just to check that no one has grabbed my Fiesta Island KOM. We grabbed this when training for the 2019 SCNCA TTT state champs (which we also won):

that was hard
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-25-20, 09:59 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I mainly use Strava just to check that no one has grabbed my Fiesta Island KOM.
Unless you changed your settings (or email addresses), Strava will send you an email if someone knocks you off.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-25-20, 10:42 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Unless you changed your settings (or email addresses), Strava will send you an email if someone knocks you off.
That seems to only work about 1/3rd of the time. Also if a female rider takes it it doesn't notify.
Old 05-25-20, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I used to pay but stopped with my COVID layoff. Assuming I am employed again someday I will probably pay again.
Old 05-25-20, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,310 Times in 1,292 Posts
Originally Posted by sirjag
hello buddy, my wife was same way. We use LIFE360 for the whole family, free and very accurate.

JAG
Thank you for the suggestion. I just downloaded Glympse and it appears to be the same App. I will try it on my next ride, "wife happy" and that is a good thing! Joe
Old 05-25-20, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,310 Times in 1,292 Posts
Originally Posted by jbell_64
check out a an app called glympse. It is a free tracking app. Real time and shows direction, speed, and a few other things.
Yup! Just downloaded it! A couple of you have recommended it so I will give it a try, can't wait! Joe
Old 05-25-20, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Babbitt
I used to pay but stopped with my COVID layoff. Assuming I am employed again someday I will probably pay again.
Im sorry your struggling sir. I hope you find a job soon.

JAG
Likes For sirjag:
Old 05-25-20, 01:54 PM
Campy

Bikes: 2017 Bianchi Oltré XR2, 2018 Norco Threshold SL. 2016 Norco Bigfoot. 2022 Giant Yukon 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
summit member since 2012, I'll continue paying. totally worthwhile expense for me.
Old 05-25-20, 02:02 PM
Cycling Vagabond

Bikes: Pinarello Razha K, BMC SLR02, Surly DiscTruckers, Surly Troll MTB, and an assortment of other rides cluttering the garage!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Non-Social-Media Cyclist

I average about 5,000 miles a year; A daily 35 mile commuter, regular Century Sunday rider along the beach here in Florida and twice-a-year 2-3 week international touring trip cyclist. I think I've use all of the cycling specific and more general "outdoors" routing/mapping/logging Apps and software out there. In the end, my Go To service is Ride With GPS, although I'm usually back-up logging on my Garmin EDGE computer via Garmin Connect. 99% of the time I use the "free" functionality within RWGPS, but I normally pay the annual fee for the advanced package just to financially support the company. These companies are not charities. It costs money to develop, maintain and host these programs, so I happily pay for features and services I don't end up using.

I've really tried to understand the philosophical appeal of STRAVA.....but find its primary market focus to be the social media and performance measuring capabilities. None of these appeal to me or are part of my cycling lifestyle. Even during a club ride, cycling remains a personal and solo activity for me. I don't obsess over split times with some stranger half-way around the world, tracking VO2max or the app "congratulating" me for some Personal Best metric. I ride for me. Not to be some anonymous User ID on someone's dashboard. I ride for the enjoyment of it, not to live Tweet, FB, livestream or Instagram every turn, hill, water bottle refill, lunch and potty break. If the trend it to increasingly commercialize the Strava platform, I doubt I'll even go back to being a user.
Old 05-25-20, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10249 Post(s)
Liked 5,206 Times in 2,233 Posts
I started using RWGPS as back up to strava this past week when all of this started. It might be my phone, but twice now it has failed to save my rides. I click save and it comes back with error and deletes my ride. I have never had that happen with strava. Only issue I ever had was when it auto paused and failed to restart when I started moving again.
Old 05-26-20, 11:00 AM
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 134 Posts
So, I was a little miffed at first, but now realize that it doesn't affect anything that I do. I only signed up for Strava because my city bought the Strava data to use for cycling infrastructure decisions. I do use it a little bit to compare rides with a couple guys I work with, but the training log and analysis tools are horrible.

I just started using TrainingPeaks as I started a canned training plan for I think the first time ever - it's far more what I'm looking for. I'm using the free for now, but I may subscribe after using it for a while.

I'm a fan of Elevate - I have to wonder if they saw warning signs of this, as they've had a notice up that they were working on a standalone app as opposed to the Strava API-based browser extension.

My favorite log is RunningAhead.com - unfortunately doesn't work well for me anymore, it is mostly a running log, but works decently for multisport - but it doesn't have automatic Zwift import, which at the moment is a fair bit of my training (using ERG mode on my Kickr Snap). It's far more customizable and intuitive than any of the rest of these. When I was training for running, I subscribed to RA.
Old 05-26-20, 12:47 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I keep seeing mention of the loss of the Elevate extension- is that only for the free version? Because I'm paying (whatever they call it now) and Elevate is still there. I assume the upcoming Elevate standalone app will work pretty much the same way the current extension does.