Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

NBD Wabi Classic How did I do?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

NBD Wabi Classic How did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 02:00 PM

Bikes: 83 Schwinn World SS, 86 Fuji Monteray, 2010 Raleigh Rush Hour, 1972 Raleigh Chrome MK 2 Fixie, Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Onfixiate
Hey Sammy76, that looks good. It's definitely better for the drop out, if the axle loading is closer to where the seat and chain stay centerlines would intersect. Also, the left side of the axle won't pop out of the slot, if the axle moves under load. (The rear drop outs on my Wabi do not have retaining tabs to keep the wheel from popping out)
As the drivetrain wears, you will now have a more comfortable margin to adjust the chain tension. I put all new drivetrain parts on my Wabi Special during our "Stay at home" orders. I've now put about 300 miles on the new parts, and everything runs very smoothly. Here's a pic of the half-link chain. You can see that the link has outer plates that are bent inward to create an inner plate. On a conventional chain, when you remove a link, you are actually removing a longer segment of chain---an inner and an outer segment. The half link style chain allows a finer adjustment when setting chain length. This 3/32" chain is a silver KMC Z610HX -----bought it from Wabi.

I ran a Flip flop setup for a while, but I found that I used the 18T cog 99% of the time, and when I flipped the wheel, the drivetrain wasn't as smooth, 'cause the 2nd cog was still basically "new" and was paired with much higher wear on the chain and chainring.

Thanks for the info I will probably be putting a new chain on before long I am really enjoying this bike..... I have it fine tuned with new pedals and a Brooks Cambium (which was broken in out of the box! what a great saddle) I had a Brooks leather B17 on in the pictures but have heard so many good things about the C17 I decided to give it a try
Old 06-17-20, 03:31 PM
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Where did you find it? I’m looking for one to buy