Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't understand Walmart's policy

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
You know what would happen if they allowed them in don't you? Some jackleg would think it's okay to ride down the aisles, I mean it IS like 100 yards from one side to the other. Then I can see in the retirement communities a bunch of geriatrics thinking it's okay to ride their tricycles up and down the aisles. It would be a liability nightmare if just one person were allowed in.
Carry a lock with you and park your "vehicle" outside.
I was recently in the grocery store and two guys were pushing their cart and had a dog on a leash with them. A GROCERY store. Local coffee shop was FOREVER having to ask people to leave because they thought it okay to come in and sit down for coffee and muffin with their mutt attached to their arm. I love dogs and have had one or more for 35 years. I have a Golden Retriever who lives in the house, goes to work daily with me, and even occasionally sleeps in the bed with me. But it would never enter my mind to think it's okay to take her to the grocery store.
Recently read about TSA and airlines stopping someone from bringing their "therapy" peacock on board. It included other instances of people insisting on trying to board with various "therapy" animals including turkeys.

Point is, it only takes a couple of people without any commons sense to cause big problems and while most cyclists have enough common sense to push their bike through a shopping venue without issue, common sense isn't that common anymore and it's difficult to preemptively screen out the idiots.
Old 03-12-18, 09:56 AM

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Wm's and simular big box stores I lock my bike between the outer and inner doors. There is all ways some sort of rack or something to lock up to. I never ask and have never been spoken to.
Old 03-12-18, 10:12 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
...while most cyclists have enough common sense to push their bike through a shopping venue without issue, common sense isn't that common anymore and it's difficult to preemptively screen out the idiots.
Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
And then, if you want to go inside to get your food and bring your bike in with you, they will b**ch, gripe, complain, moan and groan about that as well.
Most cyclists have enough sense to bring an appropriate locking device with them when shopping or going to a restaurant, and then there are those who don't carry appropriate locks who will b**ch, gripe, complain, moan and groan about those who do not share their bicycle obsession and need to keep the precious bicycle within arm's length at all times.
Old 03-12-18, 11:11 AM

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
new policy: you can bring it in if you can carry it
Old 03-12-18, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Wm's and simular big box stores I lock my bike between the outer and inner doors. There is all ways some sort of rack or something to lock up to. I never ask and have never been spoken to.
Old 03-12-18, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5230 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
maybe you can write a short petition & get a few ppl you know to sign it & mail it to the store manager. no guarantees, but you might be pleasantly surprised at some point
Old 03-12-18, 01:44 PM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
You could always not go to walmart.
Old 03-12-18, 03:03 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
You know what would happen if they allowed them in don't you? Some jackleg would think it's okay to ride down the aisles, I mean it IS like 100 yards from one side to the other. Then I can see in the retirement communities a bunch of geriatrics thinking it's okay to ride their tricycles up and down the aisles. It would be a liability nightmare if just one person were allowed in.
Carry a lock with you and park your "vehicle" outside.
I was recently in the grocery store and two guys were pushing their cart and had a dog on a leash with them. A GROCERY store. Local coffee shop was FOREVER having to ask people to leave because they thought it okay to come in and sit down for coffee and muffin with their mutt attached to their arm. I love dogs and have had one or more for 35 years. I have a Golden Retriever who lives in the house, goes to work daily with me, and even occasionally sleeps in the bed with me. But it would never enter my mind to think it's okay to take her to the grocery store.
Recently read about TSA and airlines stopping someone from bringing their "therapy" peacock on board. It included other instances of people insisting on trying to board with various "therapy" animals including turkeys.

Point is, it only takes a couple of people without any commons sense to cause big problems and while most cyclists have enough common sense to push their bike through a shopping venue without issue, common sense isn't that common anymore and it's difficult to preemptively screen out the idiots.
Yes, in a lot of places the laws are pretty lax regarding "service" animals. Anyone can claim whatever animal they're bringing into a store is a service animal and there's little the store owner can do. Though I've heard that due to so much abuse they're tightening up the law a bit and requiring people to get actual certificates or at least doctor's notes stating that the animal they're carrying into public buildings is actually some kind of service animal.

The idea of a "therapy" peacock is totally ridiculous and an abuse of the system.
Old 03-13-18, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Tcelen
I go to my local Walmart to pick up some items and the door greeter stops me and says bikes aren't allowed inside. I ask…How is me pushing a bicycle slowly by my side dangerous. So I left after he threatened to call security when I asked why.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm a little mixed about bringing bikes inside. If it is wet and muddy outside, then the bike stays outside...
One or two bikes...maybe even ten bikes in the store at a time probably wouldn't be a problem. If they ever got 100 bikes rolling around the store, that might seem a bit excessive.
Most of my riding is bike commuting, so if I'm expecting to stop, I'll bring a lock. However, if I'm heading out to visit friends or family, or doing a "fun ride", I may leave the lock at home.
You know what would happen if they allowed them in don't you? Some jackleg would think it's okay to ride down the aisles, I mean it IS like 100 yards from one side to the other…

Point is, it only takes a couple of people without any common sense to cause big problems and while most cyclists have enough common sense to push their bike through a shopping venue without issue, common sense isn't that common anymore and it's difficult to preemptively screen out the idiots.
I don't carry a lock, even for my expensive carbon fiber bike. I have posted about doing errands by bike in the context of Living Car Free, but I’m flexible about it, and I accept the premise posted by @WNCGoater.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I park my bikes in our condo at home, inside near my office at work, and I bring it into any place I need to stop while en route. If I have to do an errand requiring a prolonged stop where I can't bring the bike under my observation I don't do that errand by bike.
…We live near the transportation hub of Kenmore Square. Our easily accessible Car-free / Car-light modalities at home and work [include]:
  • shopping and personal services within walking distances
...[at work] almost all my personal service needs like barbershop, dentist,dry-cleaner/tailor, supermarket and drugstore, and good take-out restaurants are all within walking distance of work, or a short hop on the bike; bike shop two blocks away.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Most cyclists have enough sense to bring an appropriate locking device with them when shopping or going to a restaurant, and then there are those who don't carry appropriate locks who will b**ch, gripe, complain, moan and groan about those who do not share their bicycle obsession and need to keep the precious bicycle within arm's length at all times.
Not me. I'm well known at our local supermarket so I'm welcome to bring in the bike. I don't usually walk it through the aisles, and the cashiers at the front watch it for me. Usually I go early in the morning, so there's no hassle with crowds.
Originally Posted by Rollfast
They'll explain that you can hold them up and get away quickly, they would prefer you have a license plate (to ID you in that case), not to mention nobody expects your inquisition/imposition and you might get squished.
My girlfriend and I were on a tour many years ago , and we were refused a campsite because the owner had that same fear we would pilfer something and ride silently away. I’m sure RV’s could carry off much more.

I did argue that the campground was rated by the AAA, and I was a member. The owner’s wife was more sympathetic, and we got to stay.

BTW, there is one unavoidable errand over which I have less control.
... I do believe that at any lock can be defeated, so I don’t carry one to save the weight and volume. BTW, when I’m out for a long day’s ride, the only time I might abandon my bike is for a bathroom stop. By the time I need one, I’m usually out in the suburbs, where everyone travels by car, and would have to load my bike to flee.

I always stop at a fast food restaurant and bring the bike inside, and quickly do my business (don’t even wash my hands ). Outdoor pit stops in relatively populous Metro Boston does carry some risk for arrest as a level 3 sex offender.

Furthermore, I figure I’m conspicuous as I clack-clack-clack in cycling attire across the floor, and a would-be thief would be conspicuous as not-the-owner of my bike.

I do admit that threads like this make me nervous, and maybe I’ll start carrying a light cable lock this season as a deterrent for those quickstops (or bring the bike all the way in).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-13-18 at 05:36 AM. Reason: added BTW
Old 03-13-18, 10:49 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
I go to my local Walmart to pick up some items and the door greeter stops me and says bikes aren't allowed inside.
I have had the same issue ... I went to Walmart once last year (and couldn't find what i wanted---guess whose business they never noticed they lost?) and the greeter wouldn't let me lock up to a bench inside.

No outside racks, so i had to hang my bike off a lamp post.

I was decent about it and so was the greeter, but he didn't have any clue about why I shouldn't lock my bike inside in a corner where it wouldn't have been in anyone's way---it wasn't even the only bench.

Stuff happens. A Walmart greeter probably hasn't got much going on---that's why I didn't want to argue with the guy. He probably needed to assert himself regardless of the rules--and probably had the rules on his side anyway.

No store needs my business. I simply don't buy much.

But no store has anything I need that I can't get elsewhere.
Old 03-13-18, 10:52 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by kap 7
probably some kinda liability policy ... say u start riding ur bike in the store and crash or even worse crash into a kid or something then the store would have a huge mess on their hands because they allowed you in with a bike
I am sure this is it---everything that is not compulsory is forbidden---keeps insurance costs down.

It's crazy that a rider can't even lock up in the lobby when they are no racks.

Here's a crazy one, though ... my Bank let me bring my bike in and lean it against something.

I would have expected maximal stick-up-the-butt-edness at a bank.
Old 03-13-18, 11:19 AM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I am sure this is it---everything that is not compulsory is forbidden---keeps insurance costs down.

It's crazy that a rider can't even lock up in the lobby when they are no racks.

Here's a crazy one, though ... my Bank let me bring my bike in and lean it against something.

I thought of something else ... the folks on these forums seems to be considerate, responsible, respectful bunch of people that wouldn't cause an issue bringing their bike inside ... however, there are people out there that are the complete opposite so it could boil down to also being an "all or none" kinda deal to not discriminate or play babysitter.

Back to the liability issue thing i can also imagine someone leaving their bike unattended while looking at merchandise and then a rouge toddler not being watched manages to topple the bike over on them and get seriously hurt.

Me personally ... i've brought by bike in some places but just use my best judgement (ie. my barber is cool with me bringing my bike in because there really isnt anywhere to lock it up other than lamp posts or trees but my bike doesnt have a kickstand so thats a royal pain) I wouldn't attempt walmart or anywhere with a greeter.
Old 03-13-18, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs

It depends on how much money you have in your account. If you bring in an old beater bike with baskets full of aluminum cans and you look like you live under the bike, then they might not be so accommodating.
Old 03-13-18, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
It depends on how much money you have in your account. If you bring in an old beater bike with baskets full of aluminum cans and you look like you live under the bike, then they might not be so accommodating.
LOL ... my bike is okay but I definitely look homeless .... Maybe they were scared to say anything.
Old 03-13-18, 09:16 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4424 Post(s)
Liked 4,069 Times in 2,714 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
They're not idiots...just most people nowadays have no respect for authority. It's a beginning of breaking down of civil society.
Like I've been seeing alot of drivers stop for a red light, look around for cops, and then run the red light.
This stuff used to happen only in 3rd world countries.

Your comment made me chuckle! I like the idea of bringing bikes into Wally Mart leading to the breakdown of civil society.

"Authority" has no respect for people so why would people have respect for "authority". If a cop can run red lights (not during an actual incident but just to get out of waiting, which I see frequently near me) why should I wait? They are supposed to be law enforcers and if they aren't following the law...

Also 3rd world countries is an outdated Cold War term referring to countries not aligned with either the U.S. and its allies or the Soviet Union and its allies. The Cold War is long over and most things happen all over the world regardless of the countries affiliation during the Cold War.

People like to think that "oh in West Bugleboy they are all savages because of something" but generally that sort of stuff happens where they live as well. West Bugleboy is not an actual country, in case someone thought it might be but those who enjoy Family Guy might laugh at the reference. There are certainly some practices that exist in other countries but generally bad behavior that humans exhibit is pretty universal. I don't think you will find a country on the planet that doesn't have people running red lights (or whatever their version of the stop light or sign is) I mean unless the place doesn't have any cars or stop signals.
Old 03-14-18, 06:46 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I've walked my bike into a Home Depot and a WalMart near the bike trails I ride around Pontiac MI. Neither had bike racks or convenient places to lock a bike, and both are within an area where things will disappear if left unattended. Never had anyone say anything to me.
Old 03-14-18, 06:57 AM

Dude, I wouldn't be afraid of you, but your beard could eat three people. No wonder no one wanted to challenge you.
Old 03-14-18, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
As far as service animals. The ADA once protected a small subset of animals, it now only protects service dogs. People bringing exotic animals as service animals were never protected and never will be.
https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...es_Act_of_1990
Title 2 and 3 cover all public places(Including planes.) Title 1 covers employment, so in theory a disabled person might be able to get/use a non conventional service animal in a place of employment.
Service Animal laws in most other countries are considerably more strict.
Drat... guess I won't be able to fly with my emotional support wolverine.
Old 03-18-18, 09:28 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
this response
Nothing I really need and got tired of being shuffled from checkstand to checkstand just as I was getting there.

We used to have a Kmart and we also have a Bi-Mart membership discount store which I've shopped at since 1981.

We have Albertsons, a former Safeway that went to United Grocers (Western Family), a Grocery Outlet and a small reboot of Waremart by Winco Foods.

I really have little to do with Walmart and there is a Dollartree across the street from it anyhow.
Old 03-22-18, 10:41 AM
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Ok, so I'm getting back into cycling commuting again after a break and gaining a few pounds (yikes). I go to my local Walmart to pick up some items and the door greeter stops me and says bikes aren't allowed inside. I ask why since they one they sell bikes, two shopping carts are allowed, three handicap motor scooters are zooming around and four they don't have any bike racks. How is me pushing a bicycle slowly by my side dangerous. So I left after he threatened to call security when I asked why.
You tried to take your bike into a supermarket?! What's wrong with you?
Old 03-22-18, 11:14 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Walmart doesn't want cyclists! They want huge SUVs so you can cram half the store into the back. It's called capitalism.

You could always chain up to some lamp pole at 2 am.
Old 03-23-18, 03:17 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Walmart doesn't want cyclists! They want huge SUVs so you can cram half the store into the back. It's called capitalism.

You could always chain up to some lamp pole at 2 am.
At 2AM I do indeed cable lock my grocery grabber Magna 7spd to a pole outside the entrance of the 24 hour Walmart instead of at the bike rack. Take my removable basket inside with me and shop in relative peace and quiet. Never has bringing the GG Bike into WM or any other store crossed my mind.
Old 03-26-18, 03:21 AM
What happened?

We got the very first WM superstore in the valley, so people used to come in at 3 am (but mostly 30-45 year old guys playing the Xbox demo until it broke again and people who wanted to get groceries without much hassle. After there were at least 10 of them and nobody was coming just because there is no sales tax it started closing from midnight to 6 am.
Old 03-29-18, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why would you want to bring your bike with you to start with
Old 03-29-18, 03:06 PM
What happened?

Because I don't have a car and walking is not as easy, which is why I've got six.

I can't vouch for them but I also don't shop at Walmart anyway.

And the McDonalds across the street got remodeled, then a Starbucks went in between it and the Burger King and now the former Kmart lot is not very bike friendly anymore. If I'm going over that way it's for the dollar store.

Last edited by Rollfast; 04-09-18 at 11:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.