Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

moving to Stockholm / thinking of a Surly 1x1

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

moving to Stockholm / thinking of a Surly 1x1

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 05:15 PM
the way we get by

Bikes: Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by talyfixed
Hey, I ride around all year here in Stockholm. My winter ride is a Surly Steamroller fixed, with studded tyres, Nokian of course. I think you will love it, the Surly performs wounderfully with 28+ tyres. I have a friend riding a 1x1 and as well loves it, pm when u get here.
Stockholm is a very friendly to cyclist, loads of cycling lanes and tons of people cycle.
Thanks, I will!
Old 02-19-07, 08:24 PM
Stinky McStinkface

Bikes: Clemente Custom(not built-up), TI Raleigh Record SS, VitaSprint Mixte SS, IRO S.E.(coming) Ibex Trophy Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How would a 29er look with 26's?

No clearance issues.

That MonoCog 29er from Red Line.
Old 02-19-07, 08:26 PM
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exfreewheeler
How would a 29er look with 26's?

No clearance issues.

That MonoCog 29er from Red Line.
It'd probably look kinda pedal-strikey and log-catchy.
Old 02-19-07, 08:40 PM
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by skitbraviking
I would feel uncomfortable de-parting the Cinelli. I may consider leaving it here until I'm sure I'm staying in Sweden and buying a Crosscheck.
I can store it for you if needed. If not, I can work deals with a few shops around town. I'd be happy to make sure nothing happens to that wonderful bike until you return.

I would go with the Crosscheck idea, skitty. It is nothing but versatile and affordable! But for the ultimate in affordability - go de-geared and free.

Singlespeeds have succeeded in returning to uncool. I am joyful to the point of supersaturation of joyfulness
Old 02-20-07, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyle!
hey, i know this is OT but are you moving there from the states or from elsewhere in europe? just curious 'cause my girl and i are considering moving there somehow in the future and was wondering what the process is like, etc. PM if you feel like. thanks.
If you are a US citizen, and are not married to a citizen from an EU nation, and you are not sponsored by a company, you can largely forget about it. Most of the rest of the world pays back the US's arcane immigration policies in kind.

I recommend dumping your girlfriend and finding a hot Swede--- and I think they even recognize same sex marriages these days, so you could always switch teams.
Old 02-20-07, 02:45 AM
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would feel uncomfortable de-parting the Cinelli. I may consider leaving it here until I'm sure I'm staying in Sweden and buying a Crosscheck.

Know where to get the best price?
Here's a Swedish on-line company that carries Surly:

https://www.cyclecomponents.com/

I think they have a shop in Karlstad.

Can't say the prices strike me as stellar, but compared to the prices in Denmark, it's a steal.
Old 02-20-07, 02:53 AM
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by filtersweep
If you are a US citizen, and are not married to a citizen from an EU nation, and you are not sponsored by a company, you can largely forget about it. Most of the rest of the world pays back the US's arcane immigration policies in kind.

I recommend dumping your girlfriend and finding a hot Swede--- and I think they even recognize same sex marriages these days, so you could always switch teams.
Well, there aren't many countries (are there?) that will let you move there and live without already having a job lined up, regardless of where you're from (asylum excepted).

But yes, you need to find a job first. This is not that hard if you're in the right field. For example engineers (I'm one) are desirable in Denmark, so not only could I get a job here, but I get a discount on my taxes (from about 42% to about 33%, whoo-hoo!) because I'm in a 'desirable' field. On the other hand, Danmark has no need for more bakers, so don't waste your time trying to get a job as a pastry chef.

You can always find a job teaching English, but the pay will be pittance. But if you're young and looking for adventure, why not? there are also options to study here, but this is easier (I believe) as an exchange student than as a regular student.

What field are you in?
Old 02-20-07, 03:08 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stockholm (-5 C today) is a great city for riding fixed cyclocross in the winter, as long as your dressed right and a lot of the regular residents are pretty hardcore about cycling everyday. I mean old ladies, parents with kids, etc. are out riding their bicycles and the majority of them are on single speed or 3-speed bikes. Just know that according to the law you should have a forward and back light, and bell at all times on your bike. I have never heard of this being enforced though, but from own experience it can be helpful at times (especially the bell). The roads are also salted in the winter so take that into consideration.

Bicycle theft, like any major city is also around (had two of mine stolen) so be aware of that as it's easy to get used to the safety of the nordic environments.

I can also highly recommend cyclecomponents (https://www.cyclecomponents.com/) for your needs and their single speed / fixed department is growing.

PM me if you like when you get here and we can grab a coffee or something. Otherwise I hope you enjoy your stay.
Old 02-20-07, 07:43 AM
Boe
fixed.se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to Stockholm, amazing city to ride bikes! World class mtb trails just 15 min from the city, and very few cars and lots of space.

I have rocked different cheap conversions during the winters, the salt, sand, snow and ice tend to get to your bike, and TLC is so much harder to do in the winter, and moving your bike from warm safe storage in the night to cold wet riding is the best recepie for rust etc...

Today:

Fixed gear in swedish:
https://www.fixed.se
Old 02-20-07, 08:07 AM
the goal

Bikes: Bob Jackson track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcl8a
Well, there aren't many countries (are there?) that will let you move there and live without already having a job lined up, regardless of where you're from (asylum excepted).
All the EU countries allow their citizens to move around on that basis. But that doesn't help Americans! I expect Canadians and Americans can cross the border to work more easily than I (a Brit) could go and work in either.
Old 02-20-07, 08:39 AM
Ken Pickles is dead.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Landgolier
I wouldn't want a 29er for any sort of urban work, stop and go is not where you want the heaviest wheels in teh universe. MTB vs cross I would decide based on preferred riding position and distance to be covered.
Hmmm, my 29er has cross wheels. They are the same. Maybe you were talking about 29er "tires". My cross/29er wheels can take a 700x30c cross tire up to a 2.5 29er tire (WTB Weirwolf LT). Lots of versatility.

My vote is for a Karate Monkey. Because of the 700c wheels, you can run it as a cross bike, as a MTB, as a fixed gear or with gears, with mtb bars, with drop bars.... the list is endless.
Old 02-20-07, 01:29 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hej Boe,

Fixed.se? Kul å höra att det finns Fixed kretsar här i stan. Hur får jag mer information?
Old 02-20-07, 04:29 PM
Taking "s" outta "Fast"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sent you a PM about a 1x1 frame. Check my siggy.
Old 02-20-07, 06:32 PM
the way we get by

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a Swedish on-line company that carries Surly:

https://www.cyclecomponents.com/

I think they have a shop in Karlstad.

Can't say the prices strike me as stellar, but compared to the prices in Denmark, it's a steal.
F-ing sweet! Thanks!
Old 02-20-07, 06:46 PM
the way we get by

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boe
Welcome to Stockholm, amazing city to ride bikes! World class mtb trails just 15 min from the city, and very few cars and lots of space.

I have rocked different cheap conversions during the winters, the salt, sand, snow and ice tend to get to your bike, and TLC is so much harder to do in the winter, and moving your bike from warm safe storage in the night to cold wet riding is the best recepie for rust etc...

Today:

Fixed gear in swedish:
https://www.fixed.se

Tack för välkomnande! Sista gång att jag skrev här och frågor om svenskar, det var bara en svensk här. Jag ska rese till Stockholm och intervyu med flera skola i den sista vecka av mars. Jag ska resa definitiv på sommaren. Vi se oss!
Old 02-20-07, 06:47 PM
the way we get by

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indigosky
Hmmm, my 29er has cross wheels. They are the same. Maybe you were talking about 29er "tires". My cross/29er wheels can take a 700x30c cross tire up to a 2.5 29er tire (WTB Weirwolf LT). Lots of versatility.

My vote is for a Karate Monkey. Because of the 700c wheels, you can run it as a cross bike, as a MTB, as a fixed gear or with gears, with mtb bars, with drop bars.... the list is endless.
Have any pics in any or some of these combinations?
Old 02-21-07, 02:52 AM
sVe

Bikes: Nishiki Continental fixed winter beater, Fixed Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! If you do, hop over the bay to Hell! Post your arrivat @ bc-hellsinki.com forum, so I can finally see U.

1 x 1´s are durable and steady, but I´d choose Karate Monkey and set it up with On-One Midge bars, low gear ratio and big ass Schwalbe Big Apple tires : The perfect rig for 99% of riding...
Old 02-21-07, 02:54 AM
sVe

Bikes: Nishiki Continental fixed winter beater, Fixed Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-21-07, 04:01 AM
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
F-ing sweet! Thanks!
Jeg b'er. Hvis du køber en cykel fra dem, jeg vil gerne høre om den.

Skal du arbejde i skole? Er du lærer? Forsker?

(Forstår du mig? Jeg kan læse din svenske, så jeg håber at du kan læse min dansk.)
Old 02-21-07, 11:55 AM
Ken Pickles is dead.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have any pics in any or some of these combinations?
This is from Shedon Brown... kinda kooky, but shows how all types of setups with work with the Karate Monkey...

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/s...off/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1-rightside.jpg (91.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-21-07, 04:12 PM
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I was in Stockholm for a week in December (had an uncle win a Nobel - yeah, I'm boasting). What a wonderful city! I was amazed by the bicycle friendly-ness of everything! Mostly I saw a bunch of the euro-commuting bikes, 3-speeds, single-speeds, etc. I did see a fixed with skinny tires at the Karolinska Instituit, but it was dark and I couldn't check it out as I'd have liked. As far as reccomendations go, I'd have to second everyone who voted for a cross/touring bike like the cross-check. I've got a Bianchi Volpe which is similar, and I like it a lot. You're definitely going to want >28 tires because of the cobblestones.

oh, and as you're walking around, there's the occasional bright green or bright orange "delivery" / messengers... mostly on mountain bikes, acutally.

Give an update once you're all set up... I think you'd love it, I know I sure would (dreaming... as I'm in the US)
Old 02-21-07, 04:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, but if you are from Poland, for example, you can find a sponsor so you can pick strawberries in Denmark or Norway or wherever... or paint houses... or play the accordion on the sidewalk

If you are from the US, you have to be an engineer.

What cracks me up, being from the US and living abroad--- nobody seems to consider me to be an immigrant.
Old 02-22-07, 03:31 PM
the way we get by

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeg b'er. Hvis du køber en cykel fra dem, jeg vil gerne høre om den.

Skal du arbejde i skole? Er du lærer? Forsker?

(Forstår du mig? Jeg kan læse din svenske, så jeg håber at du kan læse min dansk.)
Jag, jag är en lärare och jag hoppas att finna en job nästa månad. Vi ska se....

Jag, jag kan förstår din danske myckett bättre an jag trodde!

Bara "gerne" kunde jag inte förstår.

Jag ska skriva om det om när jag köpa en cykel.
Old 02-22-07, 03:34 PM
the way we get by

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indigosky
This is from Shedon Brown... kinda kooky, but shows how all types of setups with work with the Karate Monkey...

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/s...off/index.html

Whoa! I didn't think you meant both sets of bars all at once!

Nice ride, though. I'll have to consider it. I really like the idea of a SS with disc breaks. How much do you reackon a full set should cost?...breaks, hubs, etc?
Old 02-22-07, 03:40 PM
the way we get by

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikkhu
Hey! If you do, hop over the bay to Hell! Post your arrivat @ bc-hellsinki.com forum, so I can finally see U.

1 x 1´s are durable and steady, but I´d choose Karate Monkey and set it up with On-One Midge bars, low gear ratio and big ass Schwalbe Big Apple tires : The perfect rig for 99% of riding...

Bikhu... Where do you buy most of your gear?

I'm starting to think that it may be cheaper to buy it hear and stick underneath the plane when I fly over. Prices are considerably higher over yonder from what I can tell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.