Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Could you be a froseur?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Is "froseur" a keeper?
Yes, it's time has come, like "brifters" and such.
20.00%
Yes, because it's, like, fetch.
5.00%
No. Nuff said.
50.00%
I'll get back with you on that.
25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Could you be a froseur?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 06:14 AM

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'll grant you that I do enjoy making up stories about people I don't know and have never even seen. But you're way off on the furniture - I have a house full of it! So far you're batting 500.
Old 07-24-08, 06:48 AM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bab2000
Well I guess I am more Fred like, is there term "Fred-eur". I hav not gotten to the bke shorts, and when do will opt for bibs, not bike shirts yet, just bright colored "Ts", and out for ride with wife, a tropical print shirt, not tucked in

No socks, yet sport shoes of sorts, kinda of a hybrid sandal/water shoe, but harder sole than running shoes, very comfortable for biking.

Hybrid - Mirror to end of the bar type, rear rack with top mount bag, loaded with medical and fix-up tire kits with multi-tool and camera, plus cell phone, and often Blackberry when out during business hours for the west coasters.

Road bike, Schwinn 80 Conti with alloy rims - no bag, but fanny back with some gear, but same dress. Oh, mirror attached to end of drop down, in place of tape cap. And usually have fingerless gloves on this steel rider. Same arrangement with restored 87 Schwinn Traveler with more aggressive set-up with out mirror on this rider. (Pic before clean-up and new tires

Both bikes are now fitted with odometers (velo5).

I must be a sight!, no wonder few, if any speak, when I am out and about
What year is the Specialized? I have a 2006 of the same model except mine doesn't have the curved top tube its straight. Its got the rack and bag with the panniers that fold down from the sides and lights lots of lights even the valve stems have blinkies on them. Is that Fred? Oh yeah and my puke green vest with the red blinking led's now thats gotta be worth a few Fred points
Old 07-24-08, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I seem to fit the bill, plus it sounds French in honor of the TDF!! Froseur and proud of it!
Old 07-24-08, 07:05 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The only thing on my bike that "matches" are the stainless steel bottle cages (ti bottle cages are too expensive.).
My gloves are are blue, yellow bar tape, red/silver helmet (with mirror), black Sidis, black bibs, and fluorescent yellow jersey.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-24-08, 07:09 AM
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Didn't mean to Hijack the thread, but I heard a new term recently: "Fred Astaire" - Someone who looks like a Fred, but doesn't ride like one.
Old 07-24-08, 08:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rober
Before you sit, I want a fair contest... So what are people who ride LeMonds like?
I'd be really interested inn the answer to this one
Old 07-24-08, 08:53 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Riding a Lemond is like driving one of the older Volvos: it says you ain't cheap but you value unostentatious quality
Old 07-24-08, 09:19 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm just sayin': the claim that we're all snooty and judgemental doesn't stand up when we're not the ones writing about other bikes....
Old 07-24-08, 09:28 AM
Philologist

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kotts
Didn't mean to Hijack the thread, but I heard a new term recently: "Fred Astaire" - Someone who looks like a Fred, but doesn't ride like one.
Hey, that's me! The only reason I don't feel comfortable with the "Fred" label is because I'm not (yet) good enough to drop anyone.
Old 07-24-08, 09:58 AM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
I'm just sayin': the claim that we're all snooty and judgemental doesn't stand up when we're not the ones writing about other bikes....
Huh?
Old 07-24-08, 10:01 AM

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
What year is the Specialized? I have a 2006 of the same model except mine doesn't have the curved top tube its straight. Its got the rack and bag with the panniers that fold down from the sides and lights lots of lights even the valve stems have blinkies on them. Is that Fred? Oh yeah and my puke green vest with the red blinking led's now thats gotta be worth a few Fred points
2007, wife has the woman's version. Ours are Crossroad Sports, with 700 rims. The Expedition are fitted with 26" rims, (listed in your signature.)

Rides nice, tires "38c" are versatile on a wide variety of road type surfaces. Adding the Brooks improved comfort greatly.

We use for exploring new trails in different communities, (that was the plan before she when down for surgery), and our casual rides together, have a nice 9 mile loop we do in the evening together.

Last edited by bab2000; 07-24-08 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-24-08, 10:20 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Huh?
Well, I mean, there's irony there! I don't know of any Riv owners talking about how other riders are judgmental, even though Rober wrote, a LeMond rider was judging the riv owners. Irony, I tell ya!

And I have to say, my lawn is the worst in the neighborhood, and my clothes are always wrinkled. And I own no arts and crafts furniture.
Old 07-24-08, 10:21 AM

Bikes: '07 Trek Pilot 5.0, ~'92 Trek Navigator 400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay... I gave myself a "Yes" vote since I might as well be lumped into this category too without fighting it.

A while ago I posted a pic of my bike and was fairly quickly labeled OCP because of the red SpeedPlays attached to the red bike. I didn't know what OCP meant at the time and it took a while to decide I wasn't too hurt. I even grinned about it when screwing down some red bottle cages to hold my new red Camelback bottles.

And I've given up and admitted to myself that I will forever be a Fred by the rules (lack of rules?) that seem to be applied over on the Road forum. It's cool, I'm okay. I already knew that shorts, sneakers and a tee shirt with non-bike related pictures, etc. while riding my old Navigator was pretty Fredish. But apparently any use of safety equipment (helmet seemingly excluded, but that has probably only been acceptable since Lance started wearing 'em...) makes you a Fred. Mirrors are FRED!!! Hi-vis colors seem to be FRED!!!! (Sorta reminds me of the movie Twister…”I always wanted to get hit by a car, you know, just to see what it’s like…”) Now it seems a saddle bag that will hold more than one spare tube (light weight, of course) and two Co2 cartridges is FRED!!!

So... I must fit the bill. If I get into enough pigeon holes I'll rule the world! Oh… I also still have the Dork Disk on my rear wheel and don’t plan to remove it! Bwaaa Hahahahaha.
Old 07-24-08, 11:12 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PirateJim
Oh… I also still have the Dork Disk on my rear wheel and don’t plan to remove it! Bwaaa Hahahahaha.

Get this man a therapist. Quick.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-24-08, 11:32 AM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Well, I mean, there's irony there! I don't know of any Riv owners talking about how other riders are judgmental, even though Rober wrote, a LeMond rider was judging the riv owners. Irony, I tell ya!

And I have to say, my lawn is the worst in the neighborhood, and my clothes are always wrinkled. And I own no arts and crafts furniture.
Well fine. I don't make my bed, either, and I yell at my daughter is she forgets to make hers.

And I've been tempted to break yard gnomes, even though I never have.

Let's just get it all of our collective chests.

Whew. Now back to the issue, if there is one. I make no judgements. That's not true, but that's what everyone who claims to be nonjudgmental says. I make simple observations, that my neighbor is a Fred and I'm a froseur. His yard looks like you could use it for a putting green. They might open mine up to oil exloration someday soon.
Old 07-24-08, 12:36 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bab2000
2007, wife has the woman's version. Ours are Crossroad Sports, with 700 rims. The Expedition are fitted with 26" rims, (listed in your signature.)

Rides nice, tires "38c" are versatile on a wide variety of road type surfaces. Adding the Brooks improved comfort greatly.

We use for exploring new trails in different communities, (that was the plan before she when down for surgery), and our casual rides together, have a nice 9 mile loop we do in the evening together.
Oh yeah mine is the Expedition same color though my bad. I like mine just fine as a commuter and when I take off the slicks and replace them with the stock units its pretty good on unpaved but not really bad trails.I've had it for three summers now and it works just a nicely as it did when new. I put Amadillos on it for commuting and it made a nice difference in the ride. Oh is this Fredly enough?

Last edited by stringbreaker; 07-24-08 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 12:58 PM

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Riding a Lemond is like driving one of the older Volvos: it says you ain't cheap but you value unostentatious quality
I'll buy that. Suddenly I feel the need for a gray ponytail
Old 07-24-08, 01:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rober
I'll buy that. Suddenly I feel the need for a gray ponytail
OK, got that one covered, too

Oh, and, while I don't drive a Volvo, Mrs S does... guilt by association?

To the OP, could I be? Sure, sure I could.
Sometimes my gloves don't match my jersey (they do match my bikes) and I wear a mirror on my glasses
Old 07-24-08, 03:15 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
An interesting idea, but no. As the approximately once-monthly arguments on the Road forum point out, there is no shared definition of a Fred. The correct definition is a high quality cyclist who does not care about his appearance, i.e., one who can blow you away while looking terrible doing it. A poseur, on the other hand, is the direct opposite - a person whom you can blow away and cares only about his looks. Thus, combining the terms does not work.
I understand that is one of the popular definitions of "Fred", but I have never accepted that one. I heard about Freds long before I read internet forums, and a Fred has always been someone who was totally clueless about his lack of style in clothing, equipment or technique. Not that he doesn't care, just that he doesn't know. And being able or not to blow someone away is not part of definition.

A "poseur" is someone who has all the right gear and clothing, but not the chops.

"Froseur" sounds like a new brand of TV dinner.
Old 07-24-08, 03:21 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by RonH
The only thing on my bike that "matches" are the stainless steel bottle cages (ti bottle cages are too expensive.)
Obviously you are a man of discerning taste. Stainless steel cages are strong, light, attractive, reasonably priced and they don't put black marks on your water bottles. I don't understand why the aluminum ones still exist.
Old 07-24-08, 03:45 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
A celest -colored Schwinn.

If there isn't a rule against that there should be.
Don't know about the Colour but there is definitely a rule against Schwinn's- Unless they are at least 10 years old.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-24-08, 04:53 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by stapfam
Don't know about the Colour but there is definitely a rule against Schwinn's- Unless they are at least 10 years old.
I don't see anything wrong with the bikes Schwinn sells in bike shops today.
Old 07-24-08, 05:03 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I don't see anything wrong with the bikes Schwinn sells in bike shops today.
Wow! That Madison has a flat top tube! How cool is that!
Old 07-24-08, 06:12 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I believe I'm closer to a FRED than anything else, not that I really care.
My main ride, an '88 Trek 820 is pretty much the laughing stock of the
bike rack at work. It's the oldest, the dirtiest, and the most loaded-up
with doo-dads at the bike rack. Front to rear, chopped-up steel fender off of
a 50's or 60's beast (self customized to fit around the cantilever brakes),
Vista green Blinkie, Blackburn battery operated headlight (double "A's"),
Bar ends, Avocet computer (older than dirt), Mirrcycle mirror, four feet
of teflon coated chain with padlock wrapped around the seat post, U-lock
secured to seat tube, blackburn bottle cage secured to the downtube,
very old rack with metal milk-crate attached, red Vista blinkie, two red
Planet bike superflash lights mounted to a home made mount and the
mate to the front fender also custom fitted. So much crap on this bike
that the kickstand barely holds it up. Oh, I almost forgot about the three
spoke mounted reflectors on each wheel. Two wheel sets, summer tires and studded
winter tires.

I generally ride dressed in denim cut-offs and a sleevles "T" with short
white socks and comfortable sneakers. Also adorned in fingerless gloves,
a "Dew rag" under my helmet and a safety vest and clip-on side shields for my
sun glasses. I don't care that it looks stupid 'cause it serves its purpose...gets
me back and forth to work with the least amount of fuss. I'm not a true Fred in
that I'm not made of steel and I doubt I could drop Roadies at the drop of a hat.

As you might imagine, I'm not big into sub-sets....I figure folks are either
cyclists or they're not.

This pic of "The Beast" hasn't got the Mirror on it yet and the headlight and
planet bikes are charging indoors.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 07-24-08 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
cranky old dude I reckon that bike is AWESOME!

But hey? That's one helluva lot of security provisions for a bike people are gonna be too embarrassed to try to steal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.