Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do people run?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why do people run?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 07:08 AM
ride lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chadteck
I much prefer cycling to running. If you can move much faster given the same amount of effort, then why not do it?
It doesn't make sense when people claim that running is a better workout than cycling. If you aren't burning the same number of calories cycling as you are running, then you aren't riding fast enough.
I don't really "prefer" running. In fact, riding is more fun to me. But the truth is that, for most people, most of the time, they are riding at a heart rate lower than the heart rate they would be at running.
Old 06-22-09, 07:23 AM
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
But the truth is that, for most people, most of the time, they are riding at a heart rate lower than the heart rate they would be at running.
Very true. For a roadie who can take to the road and hammer, sure, you can get your HR up and burn some calories. But if you use the general population's definition of cycling, i.e. 10mph on a MUP, the HR is about the same as for a casual walk up a hill.
Old 06-22-09, 07:23 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
I. But the truth is that, for most people, most of the time, they are riding at a heart rate lower than the heart rate they would be at running.
Which leads to the perception that cycling is easier than running, and that you have to ride longer to get a workout. If you want a compact workout on the bike, one merely needs to push themself.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-22-09, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling and running can both be hard - but make no mistake, the pounding on joints on running definitely makes it "harder" to cross over from cycling->running versus the reverse.

Marathons are WAY harder than century mile bike rides. It's not even close, in my book, and I've done both. That said, you can definitely bike for much longer than you can run during training - 6 hr bike rides are longish but routine for serious cyclists, whereas 3 hr+ runs are simply too long for runners for training, even at the elite level. (They do multiple shorter runs during a day to get 4-6 hrs total.)

HR definitely goes higher for running than cycling. This has been well shown.

For sure though, a good runner (sub 20min 5k) will be a good cyclist within 2-3 weeks of moderate bike training. I crossed over to cycling after running sub20min 5ks, and within 2 weeks of cycling (<150 miles total training) I could beat a lot of Cat5s and even some slower Cat4s on the hammerfest hillclimb here. It's very rare, however, for pure cyclists crossing over to running within a month to be able to remotely hang with me on the run - there was one Cat1 guy who managed it barely, and I'm definitely not a "Cat1" equivalent on the run. (Probably Cat4 runner if there was such a thing.)

In triathlons, this phenomena tends to be pretty clear. Lots of pure fast runners going into tris for injuries, and you can be sure that if they're FOP on the run, they're FOP on bike. Not so true vice-versa - lots of FOP cyclists falling to MOP or even BOP on the run.
Old 06-22-09, 08:34 AM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no cartilage in my knees from over 20 years of hardcore skateboarding..... I'll run 1/2 block for a streetcar... that's about it. A century would hurt, but totally doable..and I like to hammer and push on the bike/getting the heart rate up there. A marathon would kill me.
Old 06-22-09, 08:40 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I ride and run. 3 mile jogs (9 minute mile pace) on the hike & bike trail 2-3 times a week. I try to do hill repeats on my bike 2-3 times a week and then take my longer ride (25 - 35 files) on Saturday morning. I will occassionally go 4 miles on a run but want to not be too tough on my knees.

The runs and the hill repeats each take about an hour, door to door. They are similar in that both elevate the heart rate and keep it high for the bulk of the workout. The long rides give me saddle time and let me cycle through different levels of exertion.

Oh...and I run because I have a good running buddy and we have great conversations and motivate each other. When I go do my hill repeats, he goes out on the trail on his MTB.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 06-22-09, 08:44 AM
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Running had always been a means to an end: Conditioning for football, conditioning and/or cutting weight for wrestling or just overall weight control. More intensity in a shorter time period than cycling (exception for velodrome racing) but I never much cared for it. I'd do it and be glad when it was over but that was it. I did love sprint work though. I was faster than many would expect but, ultimately, not fast enough so that didn't last past high school.

The motorcycle accident that paralyzed my left arm has made that shoulder too unstable to take the pounding associated with running and now I sort of miss it.

Old 06-22-09, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by agarose2000
Cycling and running can both be hard - but make no mistake, the pounding on joints on running definitely makes it "harder" to cross over from cycling->running versus the reverse.

Marathons are WAY harder than century mile bike rides. It's not even close, in my book, and I've done both. That said, you can definitely bike for much longer than you can run during training - 6 hr bike rides are longish but routine for serious cyclists, whereas 3 hr+ runs are simply too long for runners for training, even at the elite level. (They do multiple shorter runs during a day to get 4-6 hrs total.)
It all depends on how you do each. Running a comparably fast marathon (under 3 hours) is about the same as a solo century under 5 hours riding time. Both take some hard training and both will leave you exhausted at the end. The perception that marathons are harder is running is a weight bearing activity so your body feels beat up.

One can "do a marathon" by walking and slow running. Someone can also "do a century" by slow riding and resting at stops. So the comparisons need to be on a common point of reference
Old 06-22-09, 08:49 AM
ub3r n00b

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Trek 6000SS, Zebrakanko FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to run. Then I took up rowing. My knees don't get weird pains anymore and I'm a youngin.
Old 06-22-09, 08:50 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by asmallsol
Now I ask, why do people run.
Because all you need to run is a pair of Nikes, not all the expensive, annoying, irritating, detonating, unfathomable techno-crap we have to deal with as bike weenies. If I hadn't wrecked my knee in a motorcycle crash in 1989, I'd still be running, and you wouldn't have me to kick around on this stupid think tank.
Old 06-22-09, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by asmallsol
Now I ask, why do people run.
Maybe they don't own any bicycles or cars and don't have money for the bus and have to be somewhere in a hurry. That's the only reason I would ever run.
Old 06-22-09, 08:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running is convenient and gives me a good workout in a shorter period of time with less equipment required.
Old 06-22-09, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Because all you need to run is a pair of Nikes, not all the expensive, annoying, irritating, detonating, unfathomable techno-crap we have to deal with as bike weenies. If I hadn't wrecked my knee in a motorcycle crash in 1989, I'd still be running, and you wouldn't have me to kick around on this stupid think tank.
There is thinking going on here?
Old 06-22-09, 09:03 AM

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drafters65
that's when runners leave me huffing and puffing at the bottom of a hill.
Fixed.
Old 06-22-09, 09:06 AM

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because all you need to run is a pair of Nikes, not all the expensive, annoying, irritating, detonating, unfathomable techno-crap we have to deal with as bike weenies.
And if you are a weight weenie, you only have to worry about your shoes.
Old 06-22-09, 09:12 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Maybe somebody is chasing them.
Old 06-22-09, 09:14 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by StanSeven
It all depends on how you do each. Running a comparably fast marathon (under 3 hours) is about the same as a solo century under 4 hours riding time.
Fixed that for you. Running a sub 3 hour marathon puts you in a pretty elite group. Sub 5 hour solo century not quite so elite.
https://www.marathonguide.com/results...?MIDD=15080421

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 06-22-09 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-22-09, 09:15 AM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Running trumps cycling easily.
Old 06-22-09, 09:19 AM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
To add detail, shoes don't get flats while you're out running. Shoes don't bend out of true. Shoes don't drop or snap chains. The list goes on.

Oh, and you don't need to lock your shoes when you go somewhere and hope the lock holds. All of these factors look quite intimidating to someone looking to get into this sport.
Old 06-22-09, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Fixed that for you. Running a sub 3 hour marathon puts you in a pretty elite group. Sub 5 hour solo century not quite so elite.
https://www.marathonguide.com/results...?MIDD=15080421
I've done both and felt they were equal efforts. I hardly think my run time puts me in an elite group. If fact, it wouldn't have even qualified me for Boston when I did it - 2:50 was the qualifying time then.

Last edited by StanSeven; 06-22-09 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-22-09, 09:23 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by fauxto nick
Running chumps try cycling easily.
Fixed.
Old 06-22-09, 09:27 AM

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can run just fine. In rerurn, I can't walk for the next 3 days.
Old 06-22-09, 09:29 AM
pan y agua

Originally Posted by StanSeven
I've done both and felt they were equal efforst. I hardly think my run time puts me in an eleite group.

Sub 3 hour marathon puts you around top 5% of marathoners, and starts winning age groups in some marathons.

Armstrong, a gifted aerobic athlete, struggled to finish the NYC marathon a few seconds under 3 hours.

Many many people could train diligintly for years and never run a sub 3 hour marathon.

Its 26 sub 7 minute miles. Fair number of people that run, can't run one 6 minute mile.

A century at 20.1 mph is just not that hard. Many people with a bit of training can do that.

In fact, I would bet you that the majority of bike racers can do a sub 5 hour century without much trouble
(and I'd argue bike racers is a fairer comparison group to marathoners, than cyclists in general).
Old 06-22-09, 09:31 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

A century at 20.1 mph is just not that hard. Many people with a bit of training can do that.
I completely disagree. I don't know if that puts you in the top 5% of recreational cyclists, but certainly the top 10%.

P.S. Lance ran a 2:45 marathon his second time out.
Old 06-22-09, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Sub 3 hour marathon puts you around top 5% of marathoners, and starts winning age groups in some marathons.

In fact, I would bet you that the majority of bike racers can do a sub 5 hour century without much trouble
(and I'd argue bike racers is a fairer comparison group to marathoners, than cyclists in general).
Couple of things - the majority of people entering marathons are joggers that just add distance. Their goal to just try and finish. Bicycling racing represents a challenge and commitment to most cyclists. You are there to race. Very few cyclists enter a race just to see if they can finish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.