Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will GRX handle a 11-46 cassette?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Will GRX handle a 11-46 cassette?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-19, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Do I misunderstand what power means? Isn't it true that for a given hill, you need the same amount of power to get up that hill, regardless of what gearing you have? I suppose the limiting factor is speed you're going and if you can keep the bike upright at eg. sub 3mph speeds or whatnot.
Yea if you have lower gearing you can decrease the power you put out. I'm the master of 50-60rpm 4mph slow grind in my 34x40 to keep power down
Old 10-11-19, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Do I misunderstand what power means? Isn't it true that for a given hill, you need the same amount of power to get up that hill, regardless of what gearing you have?
Lower gearing does not reduce the power required to climb at a given speed, but it does reduce the torque that the rider needs to deliver to keep the pedals turning over. Obviously it's technically possible to climb in a huge gear at very lower power, but going up a 15% gradient in a 50-11 is very strenuous even if you're going very slow and only delivering 50W, because your legs are having to press a huge amount of force on the pedals to keep moving forward at all. A lower gear makes lower-power lower-speed climbing more practical.

I suppose the limiting factor is speed you're going and if you can keep the bike upright at eg. sub 3mph speeds or whatnot.
Yes, although "sub 3mph" isn't that big of a deal unless you're on a recumbent. It's awkward to ride at those speeds on level ground with low resistance, but when you're actually rolling power through the pedals up a hill, riding a road bike at sub-3mph isn't hard. My speeds drop below 3mph occasionally on my gravel bike, and that's on steep rutted stuff where my rear wheel is on the edge of slipping and I'm bouncing off of stones, vastly harder than riding similar speeds on a paved hill.
Old 10-11-19, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Probably a large majority of people who ride any kind of mountainous stuff. In my area, we've got plenty of gravel climbs that average 12% or more over a mile at a time. And check out this gorgeous road that one of my friends recently found:

I suppose "need" is a strong word, but if it's a question of what's optimal, I actually think that most road bikes in hilly areas should come with ratios of 1:1 or lower, whether intended for gravel or otherwise. Even in the paved lowlands around here, I see tons of people badly bottomed out on their gearing during climbs, and people avoiding very fun roads simply because the gradients get steep. That's awful.
Ideally, common chainring combinations would span a much wider range than they currently do. From what I can tell, a majority of people on road bikes have very little use for the top-end on modern road bikes. For the weaker riders, a 42-26 or even 40-24 would offer adequate top-end in a 1x-plus-granny scheme, while permitting a comfortably tight-spaced cassette.
This have been an issue for decades. We are slowly incing closer, but in reality only mtb offer proper gearing for steep roads. Shimano should offer a 30/46 crank and a 11-40 cassette in the road lineup*. - Maybe in the Ultegra 2029 edition ... :-)

*or simply make mtb and road parts cross compatible.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 03-19-20, 01:10 PM
avg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's possible

I'm new so I can't post any links yet, but check out the corvid map on bikepacking.com, it uses GRX in combination with an 11-46 cassette.
Likes For avg:
Old 03-20-20, 10:34 PM

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
As it turns out the Evil Chamois Hagar uses an 11-46 so I think I'm good.
Old 03-21-20, 10:16 AM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev

I suppose "need" is a strong word, but if it's a question of what's optimal, I actually think that most road bikes in hilly areas should come with ratios of 1:1 or lower, whether intended for gravel or otherwise. Even in the paved lowlands around here, I see tons of people badly bottomed out on their gearing during climbs, and people avoiding very fun roads simply because the gradients get steep. That's awful.
+1. I laugh when I see old articles that say “this bike comes with a 52/36 and 11-28 gearing! So you can ride up any hill you want with ease!” Absurd. I guarantee you 1:1 gearing is gonna become standard even on performance oriented road bikes within 5 years.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 03-29-20, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by avg
I'm new so I can't post any links yet, but check out the corvid map on bikepacking.com, it uses GRX in combination with an 11-46 cassette.
Welcome to BikeForums, avg! 👍

Yes, you need a certain number of posts before you can post links, they do that to cut down on the forum spam.

Here's the link to that sweet MAP (More Adventure Please) bike: https://bikepacking.com/bikes/corvid-cycles-map/