Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's Build My Peter Mooney.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's Build My Peter Mooney.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-20, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
The problem I'm having is with today's component manufacturers push for technology and disregard for graceful retro style.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I wouldn't necessarily describe the frame's aesthetic as "graceful". It's a mix of over-the-top, flamboyant British and Italian styling that reminds me of Rivendell's "retro" lug designs. The lugs are thick and baroque. The bright red/white color combo is unsubtle. I wouldn't get too caught up in the aesthetics of the components because there's no taming the look of this frame.
Old 01-04-20, 07:32 PM
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Don't take this the wrong way, but I wouldn't necessarily describe the frame's aesthetic as "graceful". It's a mix of over-the-top, flamboyant British and Italian styling that reminds me of Rivendell's "retro" lug designs. The lugs are thick and baroque. The bright red/white color combo is unsubtle. I wouldn't get too caught up in the aesthetics of the components because there's no taming the look of this frame.
Oh no! I did take it the wrong way!

Old 01-04-20, 11:38 PM
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 525 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
She's a beaut! Lucky guy.

Funny that the frame has fender eyelets but not the fork,
Not fender, rack, there are rack mounts up on the seat stays.

Sweet bike, would be great with just about any build.
Old 01-05-20, 06:56 AM
2-Wheeled Fool

I slept on it, and now I'm beginning to think you are spot-on with your assessment. It IS rather flamboyant, but still has a bit of style. In my mind's eye, I can envision an Ultegra 11-speed on it, Black Swift, and black Brooks leather bar tape. Your thoughts?
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 01-05-20, 08:30 AM

I slept on it, and now I'm beginning to think you are spot-on with your assessment. It IS rather flamboyant, but still has a bit of style. In my mind's eye, I can envision an Ultegra 11-speed on it, Black Swift, and black Brooks leather bar tape. Your thoughts?
Exactly. I wasn't meaning to say I don't like it, but rather that it's a bold and wild frame and doesn't need to have subtle components. I agree with your components idea although I have not had good experience with the longevity and wrap-ability of Brooks bar tape.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 01-05-20, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
If any frame called for those over-the-top Curtis Odom high flange hubs this is the one.
https://curtisodom.tumblr.com/image/102880727404

Brent
I would go high flange too. Nice Campag records can still be found at "reasonable" prices.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 01-05-20, 10:16 AM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Firstly, that's a cool frame!

I would discourage the compulsion to install a groupset on this bike. This is essentially a British style frame, similar to a Hetchins or fancy Mercian, etc, but more custom. I worked on those bikes a lot BITD, and they would almost without exception been equipped with a mix of parts. Most typical would be TA cranks, Mafac or Weinmann brakes, modified Campy derailleurs (or Huret or Suntour), Phil Wood hubs and BB. This being a modern version of a Brit style frame, I'd choose a mix of modern retro parts instead: SunXCD, 'Herse', VO, etc. Maybe go for Gran Compe centerpulls with TRP RRL levers.

The only time a similar frame would be set up with a matching groupset (say pre 1985) would be if it was set up specifically for racing, in which case it would have Campagnolo.

The 90s era groups that were the last gasp of silver would frankly look the worst, IMO. However, I'm not a big fan of the 'bubble' era of industrial design, so I am biased. However, all silver is always a good idea, and certainly is the way to go for this frame.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 01-05-20, 03:00 PM
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Firstly, that's a cool frame!

I would discourage the compulsion to install a groupset on this bike. This is essentially a British style frame, similar to a Hetchins or fancy Mercian, etc, but more custom. I worked on those bikes a lot BITD, and they would almost without exception been equipped with a mix of parts. Most typical would be TA cranks, Mafac or Weinmann brakes, modified Campy derailleurs (or Huret or Suntour), Phil Wood hubs and BB. This being a modern version of a Brit style frame, I'd choose a mix of modern retro parts instead: SunXCD, 'Herse', VO, etc. Maybe go for Gran Compe centerpulls with TRP RRL levers.

The only time a similar frame would be set up with a matching groupset (say pre 1985) would be if it was set up specifically for racing, in which case it would have Campagnolo.

The 90s era groups that were the last gasp of silver would frankly look the worst, IMO. However, I'm not a big fan of the 'bubble' era of industrial design, so I am biased. However, all silver is always a good idea, and certainly is the way to go for this frame.
I appreciate your input. How do you think a polished White Industries would look on it? That crank, plus some Phil hubs would be a good start. I would maybe flesh out the group with some Campagnolo Chorus derailleurs and brifters -or- a Chorus groupset, with the Phil hubs. I wish Paul still made his side-pulls...
Old 01-05-20, 03:13 PM

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
I would not hesitate to use Curtis Odom hubs, they are a wonderful vintage look and also a very tough hub not just a showpiece. On my Bob Jackson World Tour (arrowhead lugs) I was trying to attain the look of the 1957 Raleigh RRA Modern without the limits of the 1950's hardware and I also wanted 32mm rubber so Mavic 719 rims were used. The components are a mix of Campagnolo and Shimano XT. I did not want to be pavement limited so the triple crank has Specialites TA 49, 39, and 28 rings and a 11-32 SRAM cassette. On your Mooney take your time selecting components and follow your instincts, get the geometry for that frame and stay within the design, this is the only advice I can offer. Good Luck It's very special and here is some inspiration... Historic Hetchins, classic bicycles, vintage bicycles, collectors bicycles

: Mike
Old 01-05-20, 04:17 PM
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
I appreciate your input. How do you think a polished White Industries would look on it? That crank, plus some Phil hubs would be a good start. I would maybe flesh out the group with some Campagnolo Chorus derailleurs and brifters -or- a Chorus groupset, with the Phil hubs. I wish Paul still made his side-pulls...
I, for one, think White Industries hubs would look dope.

Also those IRD cranks that look like old Campagnolo might be cool too. Frame is awesome, don't care if it is a mix of styles. I'd mix in some yellow stuff, like housing and bar tape.

Last edited by mechanicmatt; 01-05-20 at 04:21 PM.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 01-05-20, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I, for one, think White Industries hubs would look dope.
I think he's asking about White Industries cranks, not hubs.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 01-05-20, 04:25 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Score!

Silver-polished is the way to go here. My personal preference would be to go with mostly 7700, but then a modern White Industries crank to get a subcompact double. Like 44-30 or thereabouts. And/or swap in an XT long-cage rear derailleur.

It's 100% your choice on aesthetics, but to me it's crying out to have the "suits" cutouts in the head tube switched to white. I could deal if they were all yellow, but the green is not the right look.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 01-05-20, 06:09 PM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

I think the White cranks would be great. No experience with them but it looks like a smart design that would complement your bike. American and custom, and in a way an update of the old TA concept, so maybe it's perfect. I looked at those for my touring Mercian, but chickened out. FWIW the arms are 2024, which makes me feel better.

Also FWIW, I love my White Industries T11 hubs - speaking of the hubs. The Ti cassette is a smart idea. They have been trouble free so far, outlasting a Phil BB installed at the same time in fact. (no problem there BTW, sent it back to Phil and got new bearings. easy peasy) Phil hubs are great too of course.
Old 01-06-20, 06:53 AM
2-Wheeled Fool

I think he's asking about White Industries cranks, not hubs.
This is true. WI hubs are excellent. I've had several bikes built with them, but they are LOUD! Some people like that, others like the quiet smoothness of Ultegra and Dura Ace. Its been a while since I've seen anything with a Phil rear hub, and I can't recall ever riding a bike with one. Can anyone comment on if they are noisy or not?
Old 01-06-20, 07:02 AM
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
This is true. WI hubs are excellent. I've had several bikes built with them, but they are LOUD! Some people like that, others like the quiet smoothness of Ultegra and Dura Ace. Its been a while since I've seen anything with a Phil rear hub, and I can't recall ever riding a bike with one. Can anyone comment on if they are noisy or not?
Great point, I'm a big fan of silent hubs over click-clacking of louder variants. It is a pretty silver hub though.
Old 01-06-20, 07:08 AM
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Score!

Silver-polished is the way to go here. My personal preference would be to go with mostly 7700, but then a modern White Industries crank to get a subcompact double. Like 44-30 or thereabouts. And/or swap in an XT long-cage rear derailleur.

It's 100% your choice on aesthetics, but to me it's crying out to have the "suits" cutouts in the head tube switched to white. I could deal if they were all yellow, but the green is not the right look.
Hmmm. I never considered the color of the "suits," but now that you've mentioned it, all white might be tastier. Maybe its something I'll do later down the road with a fluid writer pen.

What would be totally sweet would be a compact double made by Paul, using one of his "Royal Flush" chainrings. Alas, he no longer makes cranks, and never offered a double anyway. I could go with all Velo Orange components, and the bike would indeed look fabulous. I may still go that route. The bike will never be a L'Eroica bike, surely, but it'll have that sort of modern classic style to it, sort of like those Morgan 3-wheeled V-twin-powered roadsters. New, but classic at the same time.
Old 01-06-20, 09:59 AM

I slightly break the rules and use Phil Tenacious Oil in my WI hubs. Quiets them right down. Not quite Shimano quiet but getting there. It's a little fiddly to get the freewheel mech apart, but not too bad. I clean and re-oil once or twice a year or so. Even with light oil WI are much quieter than Chris King hubs, but admittedly that's not saying a lot. Might not be a great idea in sub freezing weather, but I've never had an issue.

Can't say I've ever ridden a modern Phil cassette hub. Might be a little quieter with the steel body vs Ti. I'd also love to hear a report. Most modern hubs are pretty loud. Bugs me too.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 01-06-20, 12:42 PM

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Spectrum Ti Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations! As a prior owner of a Peter Mooney frame (circa 1980) that is an absolutely beautiful frame. It has a bit more fancy lug work that mine did.
I was a bit surprised to find that Mr. Mooney is still making custom frames.
Old 01-06-20, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
The seller listed it at $625, and that's what I paid. Add on top of that half a tank of gas for my truck, and a Wendy's Dave's Double with cheese.
Peter's frames are currently around $3000, and they are marvelous things. You really lucked out!
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 01-06-20, 02:12 PM
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I slightly break the rules and use Phil Tenacious Oil in my WI hubs. Quiets them right down. Not quite Shimano quiet but getting there. It's a little fiddly to get the freewheel mech apart, but not too bad. I clean and re-oil once or twice a year or so. Even with light oil WI are much quieter than Chris King hubs, but admittedly that's not saying a lot. Might not be a great idea in sub freezing weather, but I've never had an issue.

Can't say I've ever ridden a modern Phil cassette hub. Might be a little quieter with the steel body vs Ti. I'd also love to hear a report. Most modern hubs are pretty loud. Bugs me too.
I've never thought of using Tenacious Oil in them. That would probably work great! I've used a lot of DT250/350 hubs as well as White Industries hubs. Last Troll I built had WI XMR hubs. Very very strong. Quite loud. When I pull back and look at this build, which will be a personal ride for me, I would easily have just as much enjoyment from the bike with DA or Ultegra hubs, and some pretty, but less-expensive components. All I'm doing by putting high-end parts on this bike is padding the resale 20 years down the road when I'm dead and buried.
Old 01-06-20, 02:37 PM
2-Wheeled Fool

Looks like its a 2003!

I spoke with Peter yesterday while he was at the store. Customers were dogging him, and he could not precisely tell me the year of the bike, or anything else about it for that matter. He promised to write back, and here is what he said:

"Hello Jeff, I'd say you got a good price. That frame sold for $3500. which was a ton of money in 2003 when built. The tubes are Columbus sp + slx. I

I bought that set of lugs in England in 1974 when I worked for Ron Cooper. They were cut by a fellow named Len Phillips who had a reputation

among old south London builders at that time. The Fresh Frame paint is second to none. Enjoy your new bike................Be Well, Peter."

Cool!
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 01-06-20, 06:07 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Hmmm. I never considered the color of the "suits," but now that you've mentioned it, all white might be tastier. Maybe its something I'll do later down the road with a fluid writer pen.
David Kirk, one of the framebuilders that hangs out over on the Paceline forums, suggests mixing in a little thinner with your paint, applying liberally into the lug cutout, then wiping off the excess. I haven't tried that myself, but he swears he's been doing it that way for decades.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 01-06-20, 07:35 PM

Bikes: Perter Mooney Campy SR, Centurion Pro Tour 15, Redline Conquest Cross

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Wow. The lug work is spectacular. I have a 2003 that Peter built for me. What a great experience. I put a Campy Record 10 speed gruppo on it. Still my favorite ride. I can sit on it all day. If it were me I'd go classic. Down tube shifters, Campy, a Cinelli stem Giro de Italia bars, etc. But then again I'm a bit biased. I would definitely make the pilgrimage down to Belmont and have Peter take a look.
Likes For steveridessteel:
Old 01-07-20, 07:32 AM
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by steveridessteel
Wow. The lug work is spectacular. I have a 2003 that Peter built for me. What a great experience. I put a Campy Record 10 speed gruppo on it. Still my favorite ride. I can sit on it all day. If it were me I'd go classic. Down tube shifters, Campy, a Cinelli stem Giro de Italia bars, etc. But then again I'm a bit biased. I would definitely make the pilgrimage down to Belmont and have Peter take a look.
hah! I see you're in Groton. I lived in Townsend a couple years after I left the USAF. I do plan to go see Peter in person soon, and bring the frame with me. I also like your idea about the Campy Record groupset. All said and done, that is probably the best way to get this bike on the road without much ado.
Old 01-07-20, 07:37 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'm truly puzzled about how fresh frames gets so much less attention than some other painters who are far less talented. Sometimes it's a bit glossy/thick, but he does amazing work. Of my three Mooneys, the fresh frames is by far the prettiest. Gorgeous velo.

The bike community tends to over hype stuff on the west coast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.