Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Build Thread: 3Rensho Super Record Export... HOT PINK!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Build Thread: 3Rensho Super Record Export... HOT PINK!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 12:30 PM

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
You are putting on a bicycle photography clinic in this post. Well done.
@shnibop, I, and quite likely many others, would love to know what you use for lighting in your photos.
Old 11-04-17, 08:23 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Another beautiful San Rensho project. Love the details on this frame, and of course the workmanship is fantastic. The curved levers will look right at home here.

DD
Old 11-04-17, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
@shnibop, I, and quite likely many others, would love to know what you use for lighting in your photos.
I appreciate the ask, @Dfrost. Really though, I use mainly what the glorious Pacific Northwest provides generously which is mostly diffused, natural light. Sometimes I use a light disc to highlight certain areas but natural light is 90% of what I shoot in.

Although, I'm starting to think it's not so much light selection but more about the gear you are toting. @shnibop and I have been riffing about this offline and we both use fairly higher end camera bodies with top notch glass. This makes a mammoth difference comparing our setup to a typical point and shoot. But, of course, the barrier to entry is steep when you are talking a couple thousand for a body/lens combo.

When shooting, I typically adjust the exposure up slightly to brighten the image in camera and use a Bridge/Photoshop combo in post to finish it off to a place where I'm happy with it. Light is important but I feel like the gear and post processing can take an image from moderate to something really special. Not saying I'm misrepresenting the image but more like stripping away layers to project exactly what I was seeing at the time. Because, as we know, the camera often doesn't get it 100% right.

Hope that helps and my apologies for hijacking the intended topic of the thread.
Old 11-04-17, 11:49 PM

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
I appreciate the ask, @Dfrost. Really though, I use mainly what the glorious Pacific Northwest provides generously which is mostly diffused, natural light. Sometimes I use a light disc to highlight certain areas but natural light is 90% of what I shoot in.

Although, I'm starting to think it's not so much light selection but more about the gear you are toting. @shnibop and I have been riffing about this offline and we both use fairly higher end camera bodies with top notch glass. This makes a mammoth difference comparing our setup to a typical point and shoot. But, of course, the barrier to entry is steep when you are talking a couple thousand for a body/lens combo.

When shooting, I typically adjust the exposure up slightly to brighten the image in camera and use a Bridge/Photoshop combo in post to finish it off to a place where I'm happy with it. Light is important but I feel like the gear and post processing can take an image from moderate to something really special. Not saying I'm misrepresenting the image but more like stripping away layers to project exactly what I was seeing at the time. Because, as we know, the camera often doesn't get it 100% right.

Hope that helps and my apologies for hijacking the intended topic of the thread.
Thank you!
Old 11-05-17, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Wow! Thanks for all the kind words, about the 3Rensho but especially about the photography!

Like The Thin Man mentioned, we've been messaging back and forth regarding my camera setup and how I shoot, among other things. So without getting too off-topic, I shoot with a Sony A7II (full frame, mirrorless camera), Metabones adapter and Nikon AI-S manual lenses (135mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4). No additional lighting equipment and no post editing. I try to shoot on overcast days. The day I shot these, the sun came out as I was setting up which created harsher shadows than I'd like to see. I have to say, I'm not totally in love with the way these photos turned out, they're a bit "dramatic" looking in my opinion. Specifically, the vignetting, this could be addressed in post and basically completely removed but I felt they were good enough for a build thread haha.

Hoping to receive a few bits in the mail tomorrow.

I've already received a set of curved Record shifters I sent Drillium Dude a few years ago. Thank you sir! Just waiting on the Romanian post to get my Gipiemme shifter adapter to my mail box to mount those up.

Waiting on some Record bottom bracket bits from qcpmsame to mock up the crank set and then the front derailleur.

Veloflex Master gumwall 700x25 tires should be here tomorrow. Hope they fit! Haha

More updates coming soon...
Old 11-06-17, 08:38 AM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 534 Posts
For the average smart-phone photographer, when taking a typical garage door shot, over exposing by +1 or +1.5 will make a big difference. The camera tries to balance the lighting to make things appear neutral, so it will be overwhelmed by the white door and make everything else darker. Take a few shots with increasing overexposure until you find a good result.

A tripod is another easy way to make shots look sharper. Built in image stabilization can only do so much.
Old 11-06-17, 10:56 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7372 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,467 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
For the average smart-phone photographer, when taking a typical garage door shot, over exposing by +1 or +1.5 will make a big difference. The camera tries to balance the lighting to make things appear neutral, so it will be overwhelmed by the white door and make everything else darker. Take a few shots with increasing overexposure until you find a good result.

A tripod is another easy way to make shots look sharper. Built in image stabilization can only do so much.
How do you increase exposure with a smartphone?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-06-17, 07:10 PM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
How do you increase exposure with a smartphone?
On my wife's Droid mini, when you bring up the camera, on the left side is a settings menu. One of the selections is focus and exposure. Focus lets you focus on a particular spot in the picture, even if it is not in the center. Exposure has a circular slider to lighten or darken a scene.

Even a point and shoot camera can make pretty good pictures if you know how to use it and work within its limitations. The tiny lens is their biggest drawback. Since you can't isolate the subject with selective focus, you can isolate it by placing the subject in an open area with nothing directly behind it. Or, if shooting in front of a building, make sure the subject is at least 20-30 feet from it, so the camera focuses on the subject and not the building.
Old 11-06-17, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazing frame... anticipating more pics as the project progresses.
Old 11-13-17, 12:12 AM

Little update...

Was hoping to get the VeloFlex Master tires on for these pictures, but I couldn't find the inner tubes I know I've got in my stash to install them. Next time.

Popped in the Super Record seat post, Selle San Marco Concor Superleggera saddle (thank you Drillium Dude!), and mocked up the bar and stem combo options.

I thought I'd dislike the Nitto Crystemblue/ADB-X setup, but I actually like it. Not sure I'd be all in with the brake cables in place though.

As far as the Cinelli setup, can't go wrong, looks great. Still undecided on which direction I'll go. Curious to know everyone's thoughts.

Looking at the pictures, it appears the Nitto setup requires a bit more reach than the Cinelli. This could be a deciding factor.

Everything needs a bit of clean up (see back of seat post), brake calipers and derailleurs need to be overhauled. Still waiting on a few pieces in the mail as well. Hopefully another update in a week!

Last edited by shnibop; 01-07-18 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-13-17, 08:23 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Pretty - I'd go mixed build (and I agree that it's a bit conventional for AX). I'm sort of disappointed by how traditional the aero 3renshos are actually, as beautiful as they are. As aero craze bikes, they got nothing on Lotus.

Monoplanars, c-record cranks, post, BB and headset, superbe pro derailleurs/shifter. That's a mix you don't see much, but it'd be purdy. Keep the bars. Black cinelli stem doesn't fit IMO, go back to the Nitto.
Old 11-13-17, 09:32 AM

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by shnibop
Little update...
Hey Alex. Very nice build you have there. If you still live in the same area I will be glad to come and help you test ride it when complete> I like your photo location. Where is that?
Old 01-07-18, 08:07 PM

Finally! An update...

Since last time, I've decided on a bar and stem combo... Cinelli wins! The Nitto bits go back into the stash for future use perhaps.

I received a very nice set of Record bottom bracket cups and bearings from qcpmsame, and a Gipiemme aero shifter adapter (eBay). This allowed me to install the crankset, and a pair of curved shift levers gifted back to me from DrilliumDude. Not sure if I previously mentioned this, DrilliumDude also supplied the Concor Superleggera saddle which was intended for a Gios project, but looks damn good on the 3Rensho.

Brake levers got some extra holes and new hoods, installed on a 42cm set of Giro D'Italia bars. Previously seen bars were in nicer shape but only 40cm, too narrow.

Veloflex tires were a son-of-a-b**** to install by the way. And they need to come off because I reused the old rim tape which was in a sorry state. Just wanted to see the tires on the rims haha.

I'd like to mention, I'm using components that have some signs of use, a scrape or scuff here and there. Typically, I try to find the nicest and cleanest bits, but for this frame I don't think it'd fit. Only new stuff so far are the tires/tubes, brake hoods (which I think are repros I picked up years ago) and the Cinelli stem.

Pretty sure I have everything else I'll need to complete the build. Super Record pista pedals, toe clips, straps, NOS black Benotto bar tape, cables and housing, and a chain.

Still undecided if I should go yellow or Campy grey on the brake cable housing...

Sunny day today, got out there too late and my usual spot was in the shade, so I went on to the other end... First time taking pictures in direct sunlight, really makes the color pop.

Full album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmaai3rE

Last edited by shnibop; 01-07-18 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-31-18, 05:39 AM
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 1,108 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
That frame is hot! I have written, more than once, here on BF that I do not buy any more frames. And I have broken that promise over and over again. A 3rensho in that colour and condition would make me break it again, and again and again. Congratulations! Please make a thread on your build. Please...
And it has happened! Excited! I hope I am not jinxing it - as it will have to travel quite a bit to reach me. Differing from @shnibop s only in the rear cable stop execution and only having one set of bottle cage braze ons.

Last edited by styggno1; 01-31-18 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-31-18, 03:47 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 2,878 Times in 1,570 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
And it has happened! Excited! I hope I am not jinxing it - as it will have to travel quite a bit to reach me. Differing from @shnibop s only in the rear cable stop execution and only having one set of bottle cage braze ons.
congrats

Old 02-02-18, 04:44 PM

Bikes: Guru Venio, Scott CR1, Masi Nuovo Strada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful frame!
Old 08-21-18, 09:34 PM

Mini/major update:

As this project sat stagnant for no other reason than I didn't have much free time, I was slowly completing a Suntour Superbe Pro group that I'd been piecing together for a long time. Some key components popped up on eBay and a couple BF members came through with a few last bits, the group is now complete.

So off came the Campagnolo Super Record and on went the Superbe Pro. Seat post was left out for now and subbed with the previously installed Super Record post until full shake down and fitment is achieved. It's going to hurt the first time that NOS Superbe Pro seat post is jammed into the seat tube.

Please ignore the ill-fitting cable housing throughout this post.

Initial mock up (pre-test ride)...

Test ride...

I desperately wanted the Nitto CrystemBlue and ADB-X bars to fit, but alas, the reach is well beyond my comfort zone. They sure look trick though...

Out with the Nitto setup and in with the tried and true Cinelli cockpit. Ditched the black stem, I feel the silver compliments the saddle/bar tape color better (test ride pending)...

And finally, a sneak peek of what the final build up will include...

Last edited by shnibop; 08-21-18 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-21-18, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the update. Wonderful build!
Old 08-22-18, 02:21 PM
Steel is real

Looking good! Both the bike and your photographic skills. I am jealous of your Superb Pro! That group has been on my want list for a long time. I have been close a couple of times but no cigar yet.

I do not concur on the Concor saddle but do not pay any attention - as saddle design and choice is a very personal thing. For some reason I have never liked it. Neither looks nor feel. I have a Concor Titanio in m parts bin and I pick it up from time to time but I just cannot get around to use it. When I mount my San Marco Rolls - you may scorn me as much as you would like.

Looking forward to more updates!

When we are both finished with our pink/rose 3Rensho builds we should do a post together. It would be fun to show both our takes on the same size frame with the same colour. Getting them in the same picture, being on different continents, might be difficult but let us do something.

Last edited by styggno1; 08-22-18 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 01:02 AM

Done!

Frame: 1983ish 3Rensho Super Record Export, Ishiwata tubing, Campagnolo dropouts/ fork tips

Dimensions: (off the top of my head, will have to re-measure)
ST: 58cm C-C
TT: 56 C-C
Paint: Rose

Cranks: Suntour Superbe Pro (minus dust caps), 172.5mm
Chain rings: Suntour Superbe Pro 52/42
Pedals: Suntour Superbe Pro Track
Bottom Bracket: Suntour Superbe Pro
Freewheel: Suntour Winner Pro
Chain: Suntour
Shift Levers: Suntour Superbe Pro
Front Derailleur: Suntour Superbe Pro
Rear Derailleur: Suntour Superbe Pro
Brake Levers: Suntour Superbe Pro
Brake Calipers: Suntour Superbe Pro
Saddle: Selle San Marco Concor SuperCorsa
Seat Post: Suntour Superbe Pro
Headset: Suntour Superbe Pro
Stem: Cinelli 1A
Handlebars: Cinelli Giro D'Italia 64-42
Rims: 700c Mavic CX-33
Hubs: Suntour Superbe Pro 32/32
Skewers: Suntour Superbe Pro
Tires: Veloflex Master 25

Extras:

Fizik Bar Tape
Alfredo Binda toe straps
Ale toe clips

Serial Number: A390-580

DSC00105 by alex ries, on Flickr

DSC00114 by alex ries, on Flickr

May not be done done...

1- NOS brake hoods may need to go on sooner than anticipated, I thought I could get some miles on these before they fall apart but things aren't looking good.

2- Sourced a NOS Selle San Marco Concor Profil saddle in the same blue "suede" that was originally intended for this frame, just couldn't bring myself to un-NOS it. I stole this one from my other 3Rensho for the time being.

3- Thought I was brilliant when I received the Fizik bar tape in the mail and it matched damn near perfectly with the saddle... Now I'm not sure I like all the blue, might wrap the bars in white Benotto tape.

4- Eventually, NOS pedal cage plates will replace the ones pictured. These pedals were super grimy when they came in the post, the NOS cages popped up on my eBay saved searches and I snapped them up before clean up.

5- Could stand to cut the RD cable a bit shorter and rebuild the freewheel

Thanks for looking!
Old 08-29-18, 09:36 AM

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Spectacular detail, build and aesthetics. Just wow. The bar tape may grow on you, I don't think its out of place...:-)
Old 08-29-18, 02:48 PM
Steel is real

Splendid job!
1. Bike!
2. Group!
3. Photography!

I get all mushy when looking at your Superb Pro...

You already know what I think of the Concor...
Old 08-29-18, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Mmmmmmm.....NICE !!

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-29-18, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 726 Posts
Your pink San Renso brings back fond memories. Had one same color with a NR group set on it. Lost it on the highway and was immediately run over by a big rig. Only thing to survive was the seat post and right crank arm. Will be the most shocking day of my life and live forever in my memories.
Old 08-30-18, 09:19 AM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Stunning!!!!!
Absolutely perfect choice (IMO) to go with the Superbe Pro, as much as I LOVE SR.

Well done. Great photography, as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.