Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dedicated bike computer\gps or smartphone?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dedicated bike computer\gps or smartphone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a specialized bike computer a couple weeks ago and I like it a lot. Doesn't do GPS, but it monitors speed, heart rate, cadence, and distance. Strava is nice but I do long-distance rides and my phone battery couldn't hack it.
Eventually, a Garmin with all the fancy stuff sounds great (especially telling me the % grade of hills!), but omg money.
Old 08-26-15, 07:37 PM

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I regularly use a Galaxy Note 4 running IpBike which displays cadence, speed, heart rate and power on a screen I customized to meet my needs. I've ridden over 10,000 miles this way with several spills with my phone set in a stem mounted holder. It's never fallen out.

Delta smartphone caddy.
https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Smartphone-Caddy-II-Black/dp/B007WEQIX0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1440639390&sr=8-7&keywords=bicycle+phone+holder&pebp=1440639398413&perid=1R0ZS86D7NQH7JJ641HM

Rich
Old 09-01-15, 08:33 AM

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Ventura Sport, 2014 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stockae92
Pretty cool, I just read up on it. Not a bad choice per say.
I tried it with mapmyride and strava first, it talks to both (and a few others) but by far the app that showed the best interaction with the watch is Wahoo Fitness. At the end I export my data to the other two, MMR is better for post analysis on the website.
Old 09-24-15, 12:25 PM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Runtastic Road Bike app to track my exercise. I strap on Polar H7 for hrm. I configure my heart rate zone. I like that the app can auto pause. It audio when your heart rate zone change. I post my results to FB for fun.

I use Samsung Alpha phone. I bike for 4.5 hrs and still have 30% juice left. My phone is screen off n put it in my pants. My phone can get GPS 3d lock inside building. Get a "GPS Test" app to give it a test.

I use Google map in Bicycling mode when I am lost at a new trail.

Last edited by chong67; 09-24-15 at 12:28 PM.