Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2018 racing stories

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-18, 04:07 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Watched that a few times trying to figure out who it was. Think it was Daryl Impey, the SA national champ.
All the sprinters are like wtf, why is this non-sprinter dude mixing it up with us..

my race videos
Old 07-13-18, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
All the sprinters are like wtf, why is this non-sprinter dude mixing it up with us..
He was top 10 today, right? Top 10 ain't nothing in a sprint stage in the TdF
Old 07-15-18, 04:26 PM
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Crusher in the Tushar. 69 Mile, 10000 feet mixed surface race. 3rd / ? in the u29 age group.

One of the hardest days imaginable. 5:15 total time with MAYBE 20 minutes of that spent not grinding the pedals along. I did the race on my full sus xc bike with tiny trail gearing because it's all I've got. 43c Panaracer gravel tires at 25/27 psi. No mechanical problems, and the bike wasn't the worst choice. The front suspension helped with washboarded corners and the rear definitely softened up some of the loose / fast descents. BUT given the choice I'd rather have a bike that 3-5 lbs lighter because when you're climbing forever in a race like this, the weight adds up.

I lost 2nd place on the long descent. I was running in p2 (thought it was p3, but hard to tell because of the way the fields got started), when I got gapped from the group I was raiding with on the descent. Ended up falling back to the next paceline and riding with 2 people in my age group. The section called the Sarlac pit (sandy section, with a real bad false flat) broke me. No power meter, but I was at my limit from there until the end of the race. Kid who ended up second got away from me there and I kept him in touching distance all the way up the col de crush but couldn't make it back to him. One big effort on the last mile climb (at >10k feet) had me really hurting, but I held on for a podium position and some really cool race swag.
Old 07-16-18, 02:15 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Raced LAVRA time trials at Velo Sports Center in Carson: 250m indoor wooden track.

This event had a very low rider turnout since masters track nationals was being held in Trexlertown this past week. Lack of riders does not change my goals or motivation.

My wife and I negotiated with the officials to allow us to race a two person 3k team pursuit. Although two person terms are common in road team time trials, track events start with a minimum of three. So they agreed to allow us to race and time us electronically but not submit our race officially. Perfect.

I have done team pursuit many times with my wife but there has always been other people. We have raced our tandem many times but this would be the first time in a two person technical race as a team.

The other thing we negotiated was that the team pursuit would be after the individual pursuit. However, right before the start of the afternoon session, the officials announced that all team pursuits would go before individual pursuit. Ok. We were the first ones off and we put my wife in the start gate and I was up track in position 2.

We had a good start and our coach was calling lap times from the side of the track. It worked perfectly with pretty even lap times for a 4:21.2.

The marriage survived and we may have started something. It is hard to find 3 or 4 racers to do team pursuit plus one should practice before racing. It is much easier to practice and race with one other person.

I then did the individual 2k pursuit and I hit lap times that I targeted and improved my time by 4 seconds from last month.

It was an excellent training and racing week.

Last edited by Hermes; 07-16-18 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 08:44 AM

Raced the A crit last night. First time I have raced the A alone (in past did B, then A). Very hot. 97deg at start. Small field of 15. Had a teammate in the break of 3. So didn't have to do a ton of work. Ended up 5th, with about half the field being DNF.

Talking about being lapped, yes, was lapped by the break of 3. But interestingly the breakaway guys decided to fall back and unlap themselves. When we were lapped, I was prepared to help my teammate. Then I was undecided what to do when guys in the field started attacking and the breakaway guys sat up. My teammate told me to go. I guess if the field reforms ahead of the break, then I can't help my teammate.

Anyway, the most notable thing about this race is that I actually had a 3 year power PR in the sprint (didn't have a chance to compare to before 3 years ago). First time ever I think I've had a sprint power PR in a race. 25s at 922w avg. It was 5 of us in the sprint, I was third wheel, with two sprinter rivals (who are I think considered better sprinters than me) behind me. I thought about falling back to last wheel, but decided I would try to gap from in front of them. They made the mistake of not being on my wheel, I took outside line, they took inside. They tried to get on my wheel, but failed. Done and dusted. This might be my last crit for the year. Glad to get a power PR. I have been fearing that I have lost my anaerobic power over the past 1.5 years.

Last edited by Radish_legs; 07-18-18 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 08:29 AM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Wednesday night crit.

Jonny Brown was in town so he showed up to race. Ha. People nearly lost their ****, which meant that every time he stood up 7 people tried to jump on his wheel. He and the local leg crusher just took turns destroying the field. 32 or 33 started, by halfway only 17-18 were left. It was nonstop surge and surge and die and surge. I've ridden a grand total of 10 hours this entire month so was suffering from the get-go. I missed every break except the last one. At one point 10 guys were up the road and only 5 of us left in the "field", yet somehow all those guys up front started cajoling and looking at each other and it all came back together with 7 or 8 laps to go.

Then it started splintering again and I surged up through the 180 turns and caught on and just like that 7 of us rolled off with 6 to go. I couldn't take a single pull. Coming in to the last lap two guys fell over. I went way wide and had to sprint 1/4 of the lap to grab the next wheel as our break disintegrated. Jumped with one 180 turn to go and held it off. Fourth Wednesday night crit win in a row, and probably the hardest one I've done due to such low fitness. HR was pegged the entire time. Ouch.
Old 07-19-18, 08:56 AM

Wednesday night crit.

Jonny Brown was in town so he showed up to race. Ha. People nearly lost their ****, which meant that every time he stood up 7 people tried to jump on his wheel. He and the local leg crusher just took turns destroying the field. 32 or 33 started, by halfway only 17-18 were left. It was nonstop surge and surge and die and surge. I've ridden a grand total of 10 hours this entire month so was suffering from the get-go. I missed every break except the last one. At one point 10 guys were up the road and only 5 of us left in the "field", yet somehow all those guys up front started cajoling and looking at each other and it all came back together with 7 or 8 laps to go.

Then it started splintering again and I surged up through the 180 turns and caught on and just like that 7 of us rolled off with 6 to go. I couldn't take a single pull. Coming in to the last lap two guys fell over. I went way wide and had to sprint 1/4 of the lap to grab the next wheel as our break disintegrated. Jumped with one 180 turn to go and held it off. Fourth Wednesday night crit win in a row, and probably the hardest one I've done due to such low fitness. HR was pegged the entire time. Ouch.
Nice. You beat Johnny Brown! No video?
Old 07-19-18, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Nice. You beat Johnny Brown! No video?
My last two races the gopro didn't record anything and then it won't turn off. Seriously defective. I'm going to send it back.
Old 07-19-18, 02:58 PM

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
My buddy crashed out of that one and broke his wheel, he just got up to cat 2 too! He thinks he just took the hairpin too hot
Old 07-19-18, 03:22 PM

My last two races the gopro didn't record anything and then it won't turn off. Seriously defective. I'm going to send it back.
bad memory card? Have you done a hard reset?
Old 07-19-18, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Radish_legs
bad memory card? Have you done a hard reset?
Dunno. Won't turn off. Just have to let the battery die.
Old 07-20-18, 07:25 AM

Dunno. Won't turn off. Just have to let the battery die.
Hold the mode/shutter button for 10 seconds. Also, see if a different memory card prevents this.
Old 07-23-18, 07:03 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
On Saturday I "raced" goldsprints sponsored by PBR at the local beer garden. 2 single speed bikes set up side by side on bolted down rollers and fork stands, connected to a computer and racing 500 meters, MCed by local track dude Fergus . Basically a 15 - 20 second spinning competition with free PBR. A teammate was also there, as well as a few friends from the city watching and one racing. Also world champ track cyclist Ken Lo (spoiler, he won).

I made it out of qualifying just barely by being 8th fastest at 16.9 seconds. Teammate was in the high 15s, other friend in the low 15s, world champ upper 14s.
Since I was 8th I had to go up against world champ in the quarter finals (1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th, and so on). A friend got a video, and Ken keeps looking up at the board, then towards the end stops pedaling for a few, then finishes it off still winning by a couple seconds (I still beat my first time by a few tenths by tightening the straps down better). Teammate was also knocked out in quarter finals. Other friend made it to semi finals and went on to get 3rd, winning some random crap like t shirts and water bottles. Ken Lo crushed his opponent in the finals with a time of 13.4 seconds, winning what looked like a few skateboards. Idk, maybe after winning goldsprints it's time to move onto a new sport? Lol.

Btw, my 16.6 seconds was ~210 rpm, which puts Ken at 260 rpm! Holy leg speed batman!
Old 07-24-18, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I've raced Ken on the track. He is fast.

Also, it was interesting to see that event, which is on the other side of the country from me, pop up on multiple social media feeds from different perspectives.
Old 07-24-18, 08:22 AM
Version 7.0

@aaronmcd That sounds like a fun event.
Old 07-26-18, 11:45 PM
**** that

Intelligentsia Cup 2018 - this is a great event! 10 races in 10 consecutive days - 7 crits, 3 "road races". Just finished day 7.

Pro 1/2 field. Lots of pro guys here from all over - NZ, AU, Canada, Colombia, Germany. And the local heavy-hitters, and some domestic pros too.

I'm out here with two other teammates.

The crits are 90 minutes, the road races are 70-80 miles.

Day 1 - Beverly Crit (Friday 7/20)
It was raining all day, and rained during the crit. The course had lots of turns, a little climb (and descent in to the last corner), and painted cross-walks everywhere that were super slippery. I didn't crash, but had a close call or two, missed the big split, chased in no-man's land, then self-pulled after 15 minutes. Ugh.

Watched the break of 3 take that last turn like it was dry.. I seriously don't know how they did that! Only like 30 out of 80 finished this one.

Day 2 - Lake Bluff Crit (Sat)
This course was flat with lots of turns. Lined up early in lieu of a practice lap, so I hadn't seen the course at all. The sky had cleared up before our race, but started raining 60 seconds before the whistle. 60 seconds later, I slid out in turn 2! LOL

That pretty much set the scene for this race - tons of crashes. I got back in, then realized my handlebars were a little crooked and called it a day.. it continued to rain, and most of the field was dropped (or crashed out), but one of my team mates made the splits and finished, which was rad. It looked and sounded like one of the hardest crits he's ever done.

Luckily we haven't had any rain since then.

Day 3 - Elgin "Road race" (Sunday)
78 miles on a 3.5 mile course through neighborhoods - this felt like a really long crit. Had a few small climbs but nothing major. Started the race bandaged and a little hesitant.. it's tough getting back in to the field after a crash, even like the one I'd had the night before. Tail-gunned the first hour of the race, then eventually realized that most of the field had been dropped and that I was feeling good!

One of my teammates was dropped and the other got crashed out early on in this one. I finished the race in the main pack (there was a break up the road), it was one of the best feelings ever. After my ego had taken a beating the two days before, it was exactly what I needed. Sure, a meaningful result would be nice but I was just happy to finish a damn race again.

Day 4 - Autobahn "road race" (Monday)
Another 70-something miles of a 3.5 mile course, but this one on a car race track - luckily a flat one. I bridged to one early move but it went nowhere. This race was pretty boring for me - after the break went I just chatted with random dudes and coasted a lot.

Power was 155w for the whole race (194w normalized!) - 104 TSS. LOL

My teammate got in The Break of the day that eventually split up, but he made all the splits and got 3rd, so that was rad! A pro podium. Not bad for a guy with a full-time job..

Day 5 - South Chicago "Kermesse" (Tuesday)
This was an out-and-back course with a little crit-like section at the other end. Mostly smooth with some bumps in the crit-like section. Another 70-something miles, 3.5 mile course.

Was feeling pretty good for this one, and went with some moves but it all stayed together. Coming in to 1 to go there was a small crash at the turnaround, and I lost like 20 wheels.. made it up on the home stretch and then ran over a plastic bag that wrapped around my cassette.. that was the end of my race. Oh well. Maybe for the best, there was a pileup in the field sprint at 40 mph.

Day 6 - West Dundee Crit (Weds)
We got rear-ended on the way to this one so never made it.. we were stopped in traffic on the interstate, got slammed from behind by another minivan going maybe 20 mph. No major damage or injuries, but we rear-ended another car as a result so there was a lot to sort out. Could've been better, could've been worse..

Luckily this is an omnium so it didn't matter that we missed this race.

Day 7 - Niles Crit (Thurs)
This was a fun and fast course. L-shaped through a neighborhood, .7 miles or something. I started in the 2nd row, went for a stupid break two laps in, but guys refused to work for whatever reason. Filtered back and battled for position. Man, these guys ride CLOSE! It was generally fine, not too sketch, but you had to be either on the front or on the back to get smooth lines through the corners.

A break of three went, got out of sight, and once it was gone I just filtered to the back and tail-gunned. I'm usually not a fan of this technique, but in this race I didn't feel like fighting for position for 4th at best. Didn't use my brakes for a good hour.. we dropped a lot of guys but I finished in the pack, living to fight another day.

Tomorrow/Friday is a night crit, then two more crits Saturday then Sunday.

my race videos
Old 07-27-18, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Solid racing @mattm! Good luck this weekend....
Old 07-27-18, 10:53 AM
Version 7.0

@mattm. I am liking that a lot. 7 down and 3 to go.
Old 07-28-18, 12:01 AM
**** that

Thanks guys!

Tonight (last night) was the Elgin Classic (night) crit, #8 of 10 on the schedule.

Four corners plus a left-right chicane, which was annoying because it was a very quick left-right. I started pretty close to the front but quickly filtered towards the back because a) i wanted to get a feel for the course before railing all the corners b) I'm tired c) some of these guys are way faster than me, and d) some of them are sketchier than me.

Ended up tail-gunning then pulling out halfway through the 90 minute race. Once you were on the back, there was no moving up unless you had hero legs.

Tough on the ego, but hopefully good for the legs in the long run!

my race videos
Old 07-28-18, 07:56 PM
Cat 2

The kid who pipped me in a Road race about 1.5 months ago won at the 13-14 Junior national champs. Makes me feel a bit better.
Old 07-28-18, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
The kid who pipped me in a Road race about 1.5 months ago won at the 13-14 Junior national champs. Makes me feel a bit better.
I dropped him at the Johnson City Omnium but it's crazy how hard it is to beat some of these kids. Everyone on my cat 3 team was terrified of this kid before one of our races with him.
Old 07-28-18, 10:29 PM
Cat 2

Originally Posted by davids11
I dropped him at the Johnson City Omnium but it's crazy how hard it is to beat some of these kids. Everyone on my cat 3 team was terrified of this kid before one of our races with him.
He's strong. Put him on a hill and good luck keeping up. He closed a minute gap to me in 1k on a part of a climb that wasn't that steep. He's got a lot of talent.

Hope you had a great time at nats!
Old 08-04-18, 05:34 PM
Cat 2

Mountain bike race down at Snowbird. As a roadie my plan was just to try and stay up right. Luckily I had a real good idea of the course since i helped set it up and got areal good pre-ride / warm up in.

First lap I jammed it hard for the hole shot, but got passed as we hit the single track. Climbed well and held on for 3rd until it pointted down hill and a few dudes passed me. I kept going and passed two back as we went up hill again and got a decent gap. Then it went down for about 10 minutes. A big group piled up behind me and I could tell they were getting drustrated. Luckily I jammed hard up the climb back to the start line adn never saw them again. Rest of the race I played conservatively, and still took a small fall when I got too far forward on my bike on a windy descent. Basically rode it solo. Ended up 5th. First 4 guys were pretty close together. Then me about 5 minutes behind. I give up way too much time on descents to keep up with them. Work to do.

Oh, and a bonus #californiapodium shot.

Old 08-04-18, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Grats @Ttoc6
Old 08-05-18, 04:11 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Did the Ascutney Mountain Hill climb. Didn't quite have my best day on the bike, but did beat my main climbing rival for the 50+ win. 7th overall time. I got stomped by some of the kids. Considering I've been sick pretty pleased with my form. Got to see Fudgy's teammate who moved East to teach at a snooty elitist university.

Last edited by gsteinb; 08-05-18 at 04:32 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.