Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Would It Cost To Duplicate My Klein Today?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Would It Cost To Duplicate My Klein Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 05:04 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Dam, after reading this thread, I think I missed out on something. I had a shot at this, but dragged my feet.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/3672476068.html

Old 03-18-13, 05:18 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Dam, after reading this thread, I think I missed out on something. I had a shot at this, but dragged my feet.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/3672476068.html
Darn! Older frame....but looks like a darn good deal for the price!
Old 03-18-13, 07:38 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MetalPedaler
Darn! Older frame....but looks like a darn good deal for the price!
I didn't know the value, I was just going by it was my size. I gave a low offer. Didn't get a reply..
Old 03-18-13, 09:06 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't know the value, I was just going by it was my size. I gave a low offer. Didn't get a reply..
They're getting hard to find for that price, anymore- even the ones that still have the downtube shifters. Although the '97-2002's are better....but of course, the prices are higher.
Old 03-19-13, 05:35 AM
people's champ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
careful howard - those kleins can be as addictive as the raleighs
Old 03-22-13, 07:12 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by marley mission
careful howard - those kleins can be as addictive as the raleighs
Advice well taken!!
Old 03-23-13, 10:06 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ah sheesh, you peeps started a thread on a bike I know nothing about, almost never heard of it, wasn't in my search radar, and one pops up in my area. It is my size at a fair price. That means in a couple hours, I will be 96/97 97' Klein Quantum Race/Pro owner..

My sig will get bigger...
Old 03-23-13, 11:12 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah sheesh, you peeps started a thread on a bike I know nothing about, almost never heard of it, wasn't in my search radar, and one pops up in my area. It is my size at a fair price. That means in a couple hours, I will be 96/97 97' Klein Quantum Race/Pro owner..

My sig will get bigger...
Lucky dawg!!!! (That's the way it goes....I spend months looking for one, and have to have it shipped from 1000 miles away....you weren't looking, and a good deal just rolls in front of you! I guess the trick is, never to let Testicles[Test-i-klees]- the god of cycling- know that you really want one!)

You are gonna love it! [Pics when ya get her...OR ELSE! ]
Old 03-23-13, 09:51 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Lucky dawg!!!! (That's the way it goes....I spend months looking for one, and have to have it shipped from 1000 miles away....you weren't looking, and a good deal just rolls in front of you! I guess the trick is, never to let Testicles[Test-i-klees]- the god of cycling- know that you really want one!)

You are gonna love it! [Pics when ya get her...OR ELSE! ]
My sig has increased one.

I will get the exact year after I research the serial #.. Right now, I am guessing it is 97 Quantum Race or Pro. IMO, the frame seems to be an 8 /1/2 or 9 out of 10. The right shifter is shot, wheels and seat will be going too. I thought I was sneaking this one in pass the wife, but she just sat on my lap and told me "I see you got another bike"..

Looks like I am in the same boat as the OP.

BTW, I got it for $250

Serial # 61E0795016

Last edited by cehowardGS; 03-23-13 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-23-13, 10:21 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh! That'll be the best $250 you ever spent, CEHoward!

That 'un was built in July of '95 according to your serial number.

I believe it's just a plain Quantum. Quantum Pros have straight forks; Quantum Races say Quantum Race on 'em, and have internally-routed cables; and I don't believe they started making the Races till '97.

Looks like you have a tether on the RD so's the wifey can control your speed!

Good going, man!

I hope you like it as much as I like mine!

I'll be curious to hear how it compares to your other bikes, since you have quite a stable there.
Old 03-23-13, 10:54 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oh! That'll be the best $250 you ever spent, CEHoward!

That 'un was built in July of '95 according to your serial number.

I believe it's just a plain Quantum. Quantum Pros have straight forks; Quantum Races say Quantum Race on 'em, and have internally-routed cables; and I don't believe they started making the Races till '97.

Looks like you have a tether on the RD so's the wifey can control your speed!

Good going, man!

I hope you like it as much as I like mine!

I'll be curious to hear how it compares to your other bikes, since you have quite a stable there.
Well, this bike will be going to the Master. I can almost assure you that it will take on a whole different look. Looks like all those components will get tossed, and start with the frame on up..

I am wondering can those decals be swapped out to black?

Not to hijack this thread, I like to hear from the OP and where and how they are going with their Quantum!!

This is my last bike!! No more.. That is, unless I sell one or two..But, I don't see that happening in the near future!!
Old 03-23-13, 11:18 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, this bike will be going to the Master. I can almost assure you that it will take on a whole different look. Looks like all those components will get tossed, and start with the frame on up..

I am wondering can those decals be swapped out to black?

Not to hijack this thread, I like to hear from the OP and where and how they are going with their Quantum!!

This is my last bike!! No more.. That is, unless I sell one or two..But, I don't see that happening in the near future!!
Last bike? Pfffff......you ain't even got one fer every day of the month yet!

Oh, I envy you- it'd be fun building up a Klein, and making into exactly what you want! (Previous owner did me the favor of putting D/A shifters and RD on mine in the past.....so at this point, I'm not wanting anything it doesn't already have....)

As for the decals, it is my understanding that on most Kleins, they're not actually decals- but rather, the frame was first painted the color of the lettering, and then masked-off when given it's actual paint job...so those "decals" are really just exposed under-painting. Not sure if this was always the case with Kleins, and if so, when they started doing that- but if it's the case with yours, you should be able to feel the little depressions of the letters with your finger. They do have Klein decals for sale on Ebay though, if you don't care about originality. (Me: I like the blue letters...)

I hope you'll be sharing your build/resto with us, step by step?
Old 03-24-13, 02:28 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Last bike? Pfffff......you ain't even got one fer every day of the month yet!

Oh, I envy you- it'd be fun building up a Klein, and making into exactly what you want! (Previous owner did me the favor of putting D/A shifters and RD on mine in the past.....so at this point, I'm not wanting anything it doesn't already have....)

As for the decals, it is my understanding that on most Kleins, they're not actually decals- but rather, the frame was first painted the color of the lettering, and then masked-off when given it's actual paint job...so those "decals" are really just exposed under-painting. Not sure if this was always the case with Kleins, and if so, when they started doing that- but if it's the case with yours, you should be able to feel the little depressions of the letters with your finger. They do have Klein decals for sale on Ebay though, if you don't care about originality. (Me: I like the blue letters...)

I hope you'll be sharing your build/resto with us, step by step?
I just went back and re-read our original post.. Wow, that $3500 knocked me off my feet. Not going that deep!

Mainly, when I get a C&V bike, and mostly different parts will be going on it, going back to original is no where in my thoughts.

My take on bringing back a C&V bike for myself. Mostly, the bike has got to have "eye appeal" to my eyes. Then I try to double that, such as eye pleasing set of wheels, matching colors with bartape, seat, and maybe tires. After that, the bike will give me super joy in ride, and in just looking at it..

Those points with be my goal when I have the Quantum put back together..
Old 03-24-13, 03:03 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went back and re-read our original post.. Wow, that $3500 knocked me off my feet. Not going that deep!

Mainly, when I get a C&V bike, and mostly different parts will be going on it, going back to original is no where in my thoughts.

My take on bringing back a C&V bike for myself. Mostly, the bike has got to have "eye appeal" to my eyes. Then I try to double that, such as eye pleasing set of wheels, matching colors with bartape, seat, and maybe tires. After that, the bike will give me super joy in ride, and in just looking at it..

Those points with be my goal when I have the Quantum put back together..
That would be my modus operandi as well. Luckily though....I like my Klein the way it is. I was just musing that if one had to go out and buy a new bike today, and achieve the ride and aesthetics of the Klein...it'd probably cost them in the neighborhood of $3500. (I paid $700 for my Klein...but a good chunk of that went for shipping and the box [previous owner couldn't find a free box, as the bike shops in his area had been heavily damaged by Hurricane Sandy...and not being a "bike person", he didn't know to use a slightly smaller box and ended up incurring a $149 UPS charge ]).

Here are a few pics of my baby, if you haven't seen her elsewhere yet: ((Only thing I did was changethe bar tape to what is pictured)
I seriously need to take some "good" pics of her!

(I have since gotten the little rubber plug that goes in the bolt hole on the stem....$6 on Ebay- NOS- Looks like yours still has the plug!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SANY1822a.JPG (63.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
SANY1836a.JPG (95.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by MetalPedaler; 03-24-13 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-24-13, 06:01 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
Klein twin.... just picked mine up last week!

Now complete with chain.
SWEEEEET!!!!!! (I also put blue pedals on mine! Talk about a co-inky-dink!)

DARN, I love these bikes!

Is that an adapter ya have on there for the threadless stem?
Old 03-25-13, 04:54 AM

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
Looks like a standard stem to me, just a chunky one with a pop-off front plate.

Lovely bikes, these Kleins. They go for funny money on german eBay.
Old 03-25-13, 05:22 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That would be my modus operandi as well. Luckily though....I like my Klein the way it is. I was just musing that if one had to go out and buy a new bike today, and achieve the ride and aesthetics of the Klein...it'd probably cost them in the neighborhood of $3500. (I paid $700 for my Klein...but a good chunk of that went for shipping and the box [previous owner couldn't find a free box, as the bike shops in his area had been heavily damaged by Hurricane Sandy...and not being a "bike person", he didn't know to use a slightly smaller box and ended up incurring a $149 UPS charge ]).

Here are a few pics of my baby, if you haven't seen her elsewhere yet: ((Only thing I did was changethe bar tape to what is pictured)
I seriously need to take some "good" pics of her!

(I have since gotten the little rubber plug that goes in the bolt hole on the stem....$6 on Ebay- NOS- Looks like yours still has the plug!)
Awesome!

Everytime I say something is going to be a long range project, it gets done faster!
Old 03-25-13, 08:49 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barchettaman
Looks like a standard stem to me, just a chunky one with a pop-off front plate.

Lovely bikes, these Kleins. They go for funny money on german eBay.
I've heard that they are sought-after in Germany. You know they're good if Germans like them!

Awesome!

Everytime I say something is going to be a long range project, it gets done faster!
I'll have to try that technique. Every time I intend to get something done "in a day or two"....it can take years! But youi need to do this! That baby needs to be ridden!

Originally Posted by Chuckk
Right about the stem on mine, just an ODD Icon one bolt front loader.
The idea must have been to look like threadless?
I always wondered about that too. Must be the case...just to look threadless. It's funny, because the original 3TTT stems are pretty darn nice.
Old 03-26-13, 09:24 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Since mine is a 1995 model, I searched and found the 1995 Klein catalog.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/.../Klein1995.pdf

The model I have the Quantum is listed after the Quantum Pro and II, they don't list the Quantum Race for the 1995 models. The seller had told me that it has Shimano 105 components and he had just put in a Shimano 5500 BB. After reading about this bike on some other forums, the talk was that some models had a proprietary BB. Looking at the Catalog, it states that the 1995 model has a Klein BB! **********
Old 03-26-13, 09:35 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are the specs for your Klein:
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...e#.UVG-UnjbytI

Reading them surprised me! They don't sound like the typical Klein specs..... And for some reason, they left the BB info blank. I wonder if maybe this was around the time they were switching from the proprietary Klein BB to a standard English-threaded? (I know mine has the latter). Anywho....if the previous owner of yours converted from the old-style proprietary Klein BB....that is a good thing! Saves you future trouble/worries. I know in the early 90's they still had the proprietary BBs.....so '95 may've been right around the time they were making the switch.

Lots of info out there (especially on various old forum posts) if you Google it.

Nice find on that catalog! I'll have to check that site out!
Old 03-26-13, 09:38 AM

Bikes: 1985 schwinn sprint , 2011 nahsbar custom build cross bike, 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara, 2001 caloi pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To add to the modern vs older running gear argument i have a 9speed ultegra bike and i have owned a recent 105 bike (cant remember if it was 10 speed or more ) and even on the worst day when my stuff was out of adjustment the ultegra performed and rode better than the 105 on its best day, however i will say when it comes to mountain bikes newer is better went from 8 speed deore to 10 speed deore xt world of difference and my ridding improved som much (or there is a placebo effect)
Old 03-26-13, 09:57 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here are the specs for your Klein:
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...e#.UVG-UnjbytI

Reading them surprised me! They don't sound like the typical Klein specs..... And for some reason, they left the BB info blank. I wonder if maybe this was around the time they were switching from the proprietary Klein BB to a standard English-threaded? (I know mine has the latter). Anywho....if the previous owner of yours converted from the old-style proprietary Klein BB....that is a good thing! Saves you future trouble/worries. I know in the early 90's they still had the proprietary BBs.....so '95 may've been right around the time they were making the switch.

Lots of info out there (especially on various old forum posts) if you Google it.

Nice find on that catalog! I'll have to check that site out!
I was right one that. Right before I wrote that post, I googled it, and came up with an old BF thread. One of the poster has a 1995 Quantum. I sent him a PM.. Also, it sounds like my model was one of the converted ones. If the seller just put in a Shimano BB (5500), than it should be okay..
Old 03-26-13, 10:19 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was right one that. Right before I wrote that post, I googled it, and came up with an old BF thread. One of the poster has a 1995 Quantum. I sent him a PM.. Also, it sounds like my model was one of the converted ones. If the seller just put in a Shimano BB (5500), than it should be okay..
Yeah.....from what I've read, I get the idea that the priprietary BBs lasted quite a while.....they were just trouble when they started wearing-out....and on some [not-all-that-common?] instances where the pressed-in/glued bearings would spin. But either way, the previous owner did the work [and absorbed the expense!] already....so you should indeed be good for a long time.

I see that yours has the aluminum fork instead of the carbon. That might account for some of the minority reviews I've seen where people say that their Kleins rode harshly. You'll have to let us know on that. Seems like Klein made some big changes just a year or two after '95 [with a corresponding price increase, too....] but I know lots of people still love the older ones, too- and I think the frames remained pretty much the same, except for some aesthetic things, like the internal cable cable routing, so I think your bike will still be pretty sweet!

Earlier Kleins also had a proprietary integrated headset/stem......luckily, it looks like that was gone by '95!

I'll bet ya can't wait to ride that baby!
Old 03-26-13, 11:18 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah.....from what I've read, I get the idea that the priprietary BBs lasted quite a while.....they were just trouble when they started wearing-out....and on some [not-all-that-common?] instances where the pressed-in/glued bearings would spin. But either way, the previous owner did the work [and absorbed the expense!] already....so you should indeed be good for a long time.

I see that yours has the aluminum fork instead of the carbon. That might account for some of the minority reviews I've seen where people say that their Kleins rode harshly. You'll have to let us know on that. Seems like Klein made some big changes just a year or two after '95 [with a corresponding price increase, too....] but I know lots of people still love the older ones, too- and I think the frames remained pretty much the same, except for some aesthetic things, like the internal cable cable routing, so I think your bike will still be pretty sweet!

Earlier Kleins also had a proprietary integrated headset/stem......luckily, it looks like that was gone by '95!

I'll bet ya can't wait to ride that baby!

The seller told me about the ride, also asked what kind of riding I do. I told all road, not even rough services. He said "good", because I will feel everything in the road. If that is the case, it will be a performer, not for comfort. Well, I don't look for comfort anyway...
Old 03-26-13, 11:58 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The seller told me about the ride, also asked what kind of riding I do. I told all road, not even rough services. He said "good", because I will feel everything in the road. If that is the case, it will be a performer, not for comfort. Well, I don't look for comfort anyway...
I'll tell you- the geometry of these bikes makes them extremely comfortable, even though they're aluminum and very stiff; and more race-oriented than comfort oriented. I know with the carbon fork, they are extremely nice-riding bikes....so much so, that you'd never guess they were aluminum. Of course with an aluminum fork, it won't be as cushy...but I'll bet it'll still be a surprisingly nice-rider.

My other bike is a cheap relaxed geometry aluminum job with a chro-mo fork, and I'll tell ya, there is a stretch of about 2 miles I have to ride every time I ride- coming and going- of rough road.....and the Klein actually feels much nicer on that rough road.....and while the carbon fork helps...I'm sure that that's not the only thing making it so comfy- a good deal of it is in the frame.

Are there hills where you are? These things climb like mountain goats! If I had to pick one aspect of the Klein that I appreciate most- it's the climbing! The Klein is geared a lot higher than my other bike [39/53 x 11-23 v.s 30/42/50 x 12-25] and yet it has made the hilly terrain here much easier!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.