Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cuevas Custom - "Rode hard and put away wet"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cuevas Custom - "Rode hard and put away wet"

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-22, 01:05 AM
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 163 Posts
That frame is in near-perfect condition. Perfect for riding.
Likes For seagrade:
Old 11-22-22, 12:08 PM

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 1,883 Posts
I love this group and I have been having fun watching the reactions, let my clarify my original post:
First off, love the bike, no complaints with what I got, happy as pie. No intent to throw shade at the bike.
Exactly the opposite, I was trying to express that I was a little sad someone had not treated such a nice bike with more love.

When I picked up the bike it was obvious it was in a place where it was being "used and abused" and I was completing a rescue, this bike did not have a happy home, think dirt lot, rather than bike corral. Vice grips, rather than spanner wrenches.
as I said in a post above the rust/wear at the downtube shifters was one of the main reason I used "Rode hard and put away wet" in my (very short stint) in the bike world, this was the first time I had seen that kind of wear and seemed to be from extensive use/sweat. I have read many a BF thread where someone one bemoans a bike that had gone south due to lack of a proper wipe down, this appeared to resemble that remark.

Wasn't trying to claim it was the rustiest or most abused, far from it - I have others I might put up in that category - but I would bow to your some of your fossilized finds

Thanks to my (heavily BF supported) autodidact learning, I am well aware of what I got (could have blown the deal with the research I did) and thought I had made that clear in the Good/Bad list - Full 531 & Dura Ace vs. some condition issues - but now see I leaned in to the "Used and Abused". The irony is I don't have a single clean/show bike in my stable, they are all riders. Sold the only really clean bikes I had, to make sure they were kept that way.

Thank you all for your help, guidance and encouragement
Old 11-22-22, 01:03 PM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 1,422 Posts
Looks great. Sort out pedal issue, wipe off the grime, repack, new cables, borrow a nice seat from another bike of yours and taker her for a spin. Withhold any judgement until that happens. If nice enough to keep, roll that dent and repaint.

Congrats!
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 11-22-22, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
that is a different bike.
I looked that that on CL for weeks, it finally vanished saving my wallet harm.

I have been very restrained, only acquired one bike and one frame set during the pandemic

I have been building up what I have.
I have a few to move along, problem is I finish them and find an excuse to retain them.
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-18-23, 12:09 PM

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Looks great. Sort out pedal issue, wipe off the grime, repack, new cables, borrow a nice seat from another bike of yours and taker her for a spin. Withhold any judgement until that happens. If nice enough to keep, roll that dent and repaint.

Congrats!
if only I had listened to All of your advice . . .Was so excited to take a ride I didn't bother to swap saddle, only did a ten mile test run, but that saddle is a taint tickler, damn uncomfortable high center ridge - headed for the trash

That said . . . wow, it feels great. Just jumped to the top of my favorites list. Obviously owes a lot to the frame, but also the first time I have ridden on 32mm tires, all my road bikes are 25mm or less. Felt plush on rough terrain, and I know these are not as good as other tires.

Likes For SoCaled:
Old 01-18-23, 10:04 PM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
if only I had listened to All of your advice . . .Was so excited to take a ride I didn't bother to swap saddle, only did a ten mile test run, but that saddle is a taint tickler, damn uncomfortable high center ridge - headed for the trash

That said . . . wow, it feels great. Just jumped to the top of my favorites list. Obviously owes a lot to the frame, but also the first time I have ridden on 32mm tires, all my road bikes are 25mm or less. Felt plush on rough terrain, and I know these are not as good as other tires.

Its a nice looking bike! Those seat stay ends remind me of Dawes...which reminds me I have a Galaxy frame hanging in my garage, stripped and unloved...
Old 01-18-23, 11:27 PM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 652 Posts
Nice find
Likes For georges1:
Old 01-19-23, 03:54 PM
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Liked 3,182 Times in 2,005 Posts
One of my short list of I ever found one near I’d have to jump in, despite having too many.

legendary frame builder and a true artisan. His brazing was exquisite.

great find despite any rust.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 01-20-23, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 669 Posts
I'd get a Cuevas if it was twisted and rusted. One of the best framebuilders of his time. That's some pretty good company.

Black paint makes the touch up so much easier. You may want to apply a few coats of paint so that the touch up paint sits up a little beyond the original paint then sand with sandpaper on a stick to get the paint to one level then polish it so that the paint blends. . . . . Or really just enjoy it.

The black with gold lettering has such a nice look to it.
Old 01-20-23, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I'd get a Cuevas if it was twisted and rusted. One of the best framebuilders of his time. That's some pretty good company.

Black paint makes the touch up so much easier. You may want to apply a few coats of paint so that the touch up paint sits up a little beyond the original paint then sand with sandpaper on a stick to get the paint to one level then polish it so that the paint blends. . . . . Or really just enjoy it.

The black with gold lettering has such a nice look to it.
I had just been thinking about this. I have zero experience painting bikes, but lots of painting experience. With the depth of some of the chips I was thinking it would take a few coats to get to the same level as the rest of the paint. Wondering if I want to start with black primer that might be thicker/easier to sand? And then when level ad a finish blending paint coat? The bottom of the downtube is pretty rough, might give me a mostly inconspicuous place to start/test. I have read through some of the "painting" threads but not recently, I recall my main takeaway seemed to be I was going to try a brush, rather than spray. I know black is easier to touch up, but matching is always fun, what paints would anyone recommend? I am familiar with Testor's and Rust-Oleum (which seem to have the same formatted websites?) Rust-Oleum also has the car touch-up paints & Duplicolor - anything else I should look at?

I actually kind of like the current look - well loved, but I think I will probably take the time to properly clean everything up and then do some touch-up painting.
Old 01-20-23, 04:30 PM

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 669 Posts
I have used both Rustoleum and Testors. Both being oil based paints they work well hand hold up pretty good. I mixed Testors with Rustoleum to try to get the color I wanted. Don't mix them. Stick to one or the other. Even though they are both oil based they don't get along well with each other. Testors is thinner and easier to control in my opinion. Rustoleum could probably fill in the chips with less coats. I'd leave at least a week for the paint to dry before sanding if you do sand. That is one of the good things about be an amature. Pro's have to get their work out and get paid. You have the luxury of time.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 01-20-23, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Please, you call that rust? Where I live everything that doesn't move fast enough grows rust, then fungus, then lichen. Enjoy your new ride!
Considering the number of white cars I see up here with green fuzz growing on the body panels, "fast enough" has got to be upwards of 80 mph...

Gotta love Humboldt!

--Shannon
Old 01-21-23, 06:32 PM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 921 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Considering the number of white cars I see up here with green fuzz growing on the body panels, "fast enough" has got to be upwards of 80 mph...

Gotta love Humboldt!

--Shannon
True. And stuff will still grow on the trunk. My MIL's car sat out front for several years, inoperable, and grew an impressive variety of lichen. I was almost sad to see it go.

Whereabouts in Humboldt are you located? I promise not to stalk you. ETA: I've asked you this before, haven't I? Ah, the post-menopausal brain.

Last edited by Korina; 01-21-23 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-21-23, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Whereabouts in Humboldt are you located? I promise not to stalk you. ETA: I've asked you this before, haven't I? Ah, the post-menopausal brain.
I'm in Fields Landing. I don't think you'd asked me that before, so no worries there.

And I'm not worried about being stalked... I'd be flattered, and you'd be really, really bored. (Unless you find watching a 50-year-old redneck hippie longhair read books and drink beer interesting. In which case, being a stalker would be the least of your problems.)

--Shannon
Old 01-22-23, 03:47 PM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 921 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
I'm in Fields Landing. I don't think you'd asked me that before, so no worries there.

And I'm not worried about being stalked... I'd be flattered, and you'd be really, really bored. (Unless you find watching a 50-year-old redneck hippie longhair read books and drink beer interesting. In which case, being a stalker would be the least of your problems.)

--Shannon
Sounds no less interesting than my life. I saw the Tour of the Unknown Coast is on this year. Any plans to ride it?