Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's your weirdest build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What's your weirdest build

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-12, 07:04 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Waiting for 65er......
How are we defining weird here ?
Old 12-15-12, 07:11 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

The Italian girl is pretty eccentric... frame and fork are by Garlatti, the stem is a 3C, bars and brakes are Universal (stock items) and then the wheels are Arvon custom hubs laced to Araya 1W rims, crank and bb is Stronglight, pedals are Lyotard Marcel Berthet, derailleurs are Suntour Spirt and VXs, shifters are Simplex Retrofriction, and the freewheel is a Shimano 13-32 5 speed. Headset is a Tange / Kuwahara and the saddle is an Ideale.

I built her up with the shiniest spare bits I had kicking around and they all play together really well.
Old 12-15-12, 07:45 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
The Italian girl is pretty eccentric... frame and fork are by Garlatti, the stem is a 3C, bars and brakes are Universal (stock items) and then the wheels are Arvon custom hubs laced to Araya 1W rims, crank and bb is Stronglight, pedals are Lyotard Marcel Berthet, derailleurs are Suntour Spirt and VXs, shifters are Simplex Retrofriction, and the freewheel is a Shimano 13-32 5 speed. Headset is a Tange / Kuwahara and the saddle is an Ideale.

I built her up with the shiniest spare bits I had kicking around and they all play together really well.
All of your builds strike a perfect note between practical (for your preferences) and beautiful. I love how you buiuld them 65'r.

I have a few weird builds, if by weird you mean set up without consideration for conventions, only form and my own preferences. Probably the weirdest is:

It's a true all purpose bike - and is being outfitted for winter with studded tires courtesy of Holiday and Fender. Dirt drops, 1.5 slicks for city streets, a scratch/corrosion proof ti frame, decal camouflage, v-brakes with roadie levers, Suntour commands and a Deore group. I'm going to add interrupter brakes and a suntour rear derailleur, which will, hopefully, improve the erratic shifting. It also has an add on for the Ortlieb back back/pannier...though I haven't been thrilled with the QR3 system.

Over all it's an excellent city bike and really handles city abuse well. My only complaint would be the shifting.
Old 12-15-12, 08:02 PM
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My oddest mix of parts is probably the PX-10. First of all I converted it to 650b. The frameset was repainted back in the day. Parts are a mix of modern and vintage with what I had sitting around. I built up the wheelset myself: Shimano Tiagra hubs laced to Velocity Dyad 650b rims with DT Swiss spokes. Rest of the build includes: Stronglight headset and BB, TA Cyclotouriste 5 pin crank 46/30t rings, Time ATAC pedals, Shimano 105 rear derailleur, Campagnolo Nuovo Record front derailleur, Campagnolo clamp on with Riv Silver shifters, Campagnolo clamp on cable guides, 8 speed SRAM cassette, SRAM 851 chain, Tektro R556 long reach brakes, Tektro Aero brake levers, Mavic stem (sanded down to 22.0) and a Nitto Noodle bars, Kalloy seatpost, and a Tiawanese Brooks Swallow copy.

Old 12-15-12, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Blight
Geez, why not just a new 650B rear rim and return the geometry to stock?
The law of diminishing returns kicks in. The local junkman gave me a '95 Schwinn mountain bike that's cheaper to make into a decent beater bike. I'm saving the Mirada frame for a retro look single speed scorcher.
Old 12-15-12, 08:20 PM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Ok, THIS is pretty weird.. dunno why i didn't think of it

My "beater" rain bike. You can't see it but the handling is WEIRD!

Trekking handlebars - WEIRD!

Shimano 600 road cranks on a mountain bike - WEIRD! 52x22 gearing - WEIRD! Biopace - WEIRD!

Broken Shimano 600 derailleur as a chain tensioner - WEIRD!

Swapped in a Uniglide hub body, converted to single speed with a bunch of spacers and a BB lockring - WEIRD!

Kitty giving everyone the finger - WEIRD!

I'm actually starting to like this thing now with the newly installed trekking bar. I take it out sometimes even when it's not raining for quick trips around town because i care even less if it gets stolen than any other bike.. though i would be sad to lose the cranks, trekking bar and nice deore cantis/levers

Last edited by frantik; 12-15-12 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-15-12, 10:56 PM

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
Yeah, I was just teasing, though. I'm tempted to have a go at that myself someday
It was fun to do...got plenty of stares. I always got the question...what's it feel like to ride? The answer was, well. It's fun to ride and that's why i ride. Because it is a left side drive? no difference. It was...just a different kind of build. I also got the frequent question, How could you do that on the flying scot? well, truth be told. That frame just didn't feel very well to ride. I have had a ton of steel frames and i have to say, this just didn't have the kick and pep that some of my other's felt like they had.

Give it a go SailoreBenjamin, come over to the darkside! They have cute puppies and free campy parts!
Old 12-15-12, 10:57 PM

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Frantic, that's too clean for a beater! Take that off...you're putting some of us to shame!
Old 12-15-12, 11:19 PM

Bikes: 86 Bianchi Cross bike, '83 Bianchi Campione D'Italia NR throughout - Brand new, a 1970 Schwinn Suberban

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
XT rear mech, suntour shifters, Brake bosses added, strange front fork - half cross/road/tour lx cantis and biopace... fun to ride and is now a little more organized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Brava 3.jpg (87.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-15-12, 11:19 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
All of your builds strike a perfect note between practical (for your preferences) and beautiful. I love how you buiuld them 65'r.

I have a few weird builds, if by weird you mean set up without consideration for conventions, only form and my own preferences. Probably the weirdest is:

It's a true all purpose bike - and is being outfitted for winter with studded tires courtesy of Holiday and Fender. Dirt drops, 1.5 slicks for city streets, a scratch/corrosion proof ti frame, decal camouflage, v-brakes with roadie levers, Suntour commands and a Deore group. I'm going to add interrupter brakes and a suntour rear derailleur, which will, hopefully, improve the erratic shifting. It also has an add on for the Ortlieb back back/pannier...though I haven't been thrilled with the QR3 system.

Over all it's an excellent city bike and really handles city abuse well. My only complaint would be the shifting.
Was really pleased with how this middle end Italian boomer turned out... The stock Campy Valentino bits were nothing to get very excited about and I had all these shiny orphaned bits kicking around waiting for the right bike.

This bike probably gets the most compliments and think the full chrome makes it stand out while a bike like my Ron Cooper often passes for some old ten speed.

The Italian girl is an absolute joy to ride... She floats on those Continentals and everything is as smooth as silk, originally had Campy dt shifters but nothing can compare to the Retrofriction shifters.

Wondering why the Suntour command shifters are causing you grief... If you have mated them to a Shimano freewheel the slight difference in spacing could be causing issues.

That "Huffy" is one of my favourite bikes...
Old 12-15-12, 11:43 PM

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The most mixed bag of parts I have is my Franken Fuji.

Fuji Outland pro frame
Shimano Deore brakes
Shimano Deore Shifters
Shimano Altus/Acera FD
Shimano Deore RD
SRAM truvatic 9 speed Crank set 48/38/28
Shimano mt-15 wheels
Rockshox Tora front shock. A bit heavy but the u turn height adjuster and lockout make it very nice.
Korean mid range bike head seat, the bar came from a pile of bars.. not sure what it lived on originally

A seat made in Italy... not sure of the brand. The owner of my favorite LBS pointed to a seat that had come off its frame and told me if I could get it back on I could have it. So I did, with clippers, pliers, hammers... but its really comfortable and worth $100 or so new. However for a machine made entirely of second hand parts it looks very pretty.

Before those parts got installed I had a mixed bag of Sunrace/no name parts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike 4.jpg (98.9 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by krobinson103; 12-15-12 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-15-12, 11:47 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Was really pleased with how this middle end Italian boomer turned out... The stock Campy Valentino bits were nothing to get very excited about and I had all these shiny orphaned bits kicking around waiting for the right bike.

This bike probably gets the most compliments and think the full chrome makes it stand out while a bike like my Ron Cooper often passes for some old ten speed.

The Italian girl is an absolute joy to ride... She floats on those Continentals and everything is as smooth as silk, originally had Campy dt shifters but nothing can compare to the Retrofriction shifters.

Wondering why the Suntour command shifters are causing you grief... If you have mated them to a Shimano freewheel the slight difference in spacing could be causing issues.

That "Huffy" is one of my favourite bikes...
I think that's exactly what it is, and I think the derailleur isn't helping. It works, just not as smoothly as I'd like.
Old 12-15-12, 11:57 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I think that's exactly what it is, and I think the derailleur isn't helping. It works, just not as smoothly as I'd like.
Mating them to a Deore group could also be problematic if you are trying to use Suntour indexed shifting with a Shimano group.
Old 12-16-12, 12:24 PM

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Easy. My GT Tachyon. As I got it:

And as I finished it, which is very close to stock. Now, if somebody would only reproduce the decals:

At last count, I've figured six bits of failed or dead end technology: The concept of a touring mountain bike, SunTour freehub, SunTour cluster, command shifters, SunTour indexing, 700d rims and microadjusters on the front dropouts.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 12-16-12, 12:49 PM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Easy. My GT Tachyon. As I got it:

And as I finished it, which is very close to stock. Now, if somebody would only reproduce the decals:

At last count, I've figured six bits of failed or dead end technology: The concept of a touring mountain bike, SunTour freehub, SunTour cluster, command shifters, SunTour indexing, 700d rims and microadjusters on the front dropouts.
I might be able to help you out with the decals.. I have a GT project I'm working on myself and it also will need them.
And here's my entry for my weirdest build.
Old 12-16-12, 03:55 PM

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pamaguahiker
Give it a go SailoreBenjamin, come over to the darkside! They have cute puppies and free campy parts!
Yeah, I'll be there as soon as the FD cage for my left handed NR gruppo comes back from the chromer
Old 12-18-12, 02:54 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My 5 y.o. daughter's Christmas present (swap-o-rama):
60's Gitane mini (450A/390mm wheels- 20" standover height)with Motobecane mini crankset (110mm arms 42/35 rings), Huret Alvit derailleurs, simplex cable stop, Huret tunnel clamp, Raleigh spindle to handle double chainring, Motobecane wheels. It all works

From this:

To this:

Last edited by delcrossv; 12-18-12 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-18-12, 02:56 PM

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
very cool, and when she outgrows it, its would be an awesome wall hanger...
Old 12-18-12, 02:59 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
very cool, and when she outgrows it, its would be an awesome wall hanger...
Thanks!

It'll be a while yet- 2 more coming up after her.
Old 12-18-12, 04:01 PM

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,141 Times in 558 Posts
For me, definitely this Frankenvega (Helicomatic hubs, Shimano grip shifts, strange combo of bars and clip-ons, octalink cranks & BB, 1x6 gearing, old meets new Univega):

(I've since flipped the bars and ditched the clip-ons, but it was fun while it lasted.)

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 12-24-12, 06:31 AM
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,871 Times in 1,065 Posts
BikesnobNYC would LOVE this.
Originally Posted by gaucho777
For me, definitely this Frankenvega (Helicomatic hubs, Shimano grip shifts, strange combo of bars and clip-ons, octalink cranks & BB, 1x6 gearing, old meets new Univega):

(I've since flipped the bars and ditched the clip-ons, but it was fun while it lasted.)
Old 12-24-12, 12:38 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Great thread! More! Weirder!