Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is cycling a hobby?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is cycling a hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 09:31 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by faire_du_velo
Its more like a mental illness.
ftfy
Old 01-02-11, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Wake
Doesn't anybody here commute? I ride as a hobby, but commute on a much more regular basis.

A few days ago my wife asked me, when I told her I was riding to work one cold morning: "What are you trying to prove?". She just doesn't get it. To her it's a bYhobby, and no normal person would consider it to be a serious mode of transportation.
Although I commute year round, as long as the car in my garage is there as an option it's a hobby.
Old 01-02-11, 09:45 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I think that when people call something a hobby they are referring to a recreational pursuit and for me cycling is that but it is also my business and a way of life.
Old 01-02-11, 09:58 PM
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are a commuter = it is your transportation

If it is your livelihood = it is your profession

If is your physical fitness activity = it is your hobby

Calling it an obsession only describes the level of importance you place on it.
Old 01-02-11, 10:19 PM
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think cycling other than at a high competitive level will always be considered a hobby by someone who is not a cyclist themselves. No matter how much you spend, how much time you spend, how dedicated, or much you love it, it will still be just a hobby to them. This isn't meant to cheapen or insult you as a cyclist. This is just fact. Same as you would call a lawyer who collects stamps a hobbyist even though they've been doing it for 25 years and have spent over $10,000 on a single stamp before. That person's profession is law, not stamp collecting.

I think the book definition is crossed when your hobby ceases to become something you do on your own for fun and begins being something you do to earn money. That said, it still still possible to maintain cycling as a hobby while you work as a bike mechanic or work in the cycling industry. I'd guess there are hundreds of people that work for Canon as non-photographers that would call photography their hobby. Same with auto mechanics that race cars as a hobby, etc.
Old 01-02-11, 10:43 PM

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Hmmm.....

I work a "real" job, run a wheel company, have dealer and OEM accounts with just about everyone, do a ton of bike service work, run a cycling "club" with 3 "teams" including a past Masters National Champ and a couple of masters national podium finishers and 12+ state championships in Road, track, and cyclocross.....I import bicycle parts from Taiwan and attend trade shows..........

.....but for me I guess it's still just a hobby. I don't get paid to ride.
I'd say it's more than just a hobby for you since you've got a business at stake. It's not just getting paid to ride that would make it more than a hobby, but riding and working on your bike (and spending as much time as me and some other do on BF) is still a hobby, just a hobby that a lot of others would not understand how much we put into it.
Old 01-02-11, 10:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd say its a hobby and a bit of an obsession.
Old 01-02-11, 10:58 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
The test is simple: If you've ever bought a bike or bike part that you didn't need to continue cycling, or upgraded something when staying at that level would have worked just fine, then it's at least partially a hobby. Plenty of people get the AMA recommended amount of exercise on a $200 Xmart bike without problem. There's no reason anybody HAS to do it on a full carbon frame with Campy Record for 100 miles at a time.
Old 01-02-11, 11:01 PM

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're all posting on an internet forum about the activity when we're not actually engaged in it. Yes, it's a hobby.
Old 01-02-11, 11:01 PM

Bikes: Kestrel RT900SL, 1975 Viner, Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerull
There are hobbies that make cycling look very, very cheap, and all your 'pain and suffering' look like nothing. The people who do them would consider you in roughly the same league as the stamp collectors. Stop whining and HTFU.
That made me laugh..thanks!
Old 01-02-11, 11:07 PM
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
cycling is a hobby. my porsche is a manhood enlarger.
Originally Posted by colombo357
Fixed.
Now, THAT was funny!

No offense, thirdgen...
Old 01-02-11, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
Do any other "hobbies" entail suffering?
Did you really think cyclist are the only amateur athletes that suffer? That would be really ignorant.

Non-sporting hobbyists suffer too. Ever do any gardening? It's hard work. Woodworking? Hard work. Heck, working in a kitchen can be sucky but there are no shortage of amateur chefs slaving away.
Old 01-02-11, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
Fixed.
Originally Posted by frpax
Now, THAT was funny!

No offense, thirdgen...
i dont get offended by ignorant people.

it is a 944 series car. it is the automotive equivalence of an early aluminum bike with 8spd chorus components. i dare to bet a lot of people here have more money in cycling accessories that are "above" their talent level than i have in my car.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-02-11 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-02-11, 11:27 PM
Team ABC Cycles

Bikes: 2010 Colnago CX-1 and '12 S-Works Venge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think normal hobby's take so much time and hurt so much....I think bike racing and riding is a sport; a beautiful, hard, amazing and addictive sport.
Old 01-02-11, 11:35 PM
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
i dont get offended by ignorant people.

it is a 944 series car. it is the automotive equivalence of an early aluminum bike with 8spd chorus components. i dare to bet a lot of people here have more money in cycling accessories that are "above" their talent level than i have in my car.
A 944? That's cool! I've always liked those, and felt they were very under rated.

Wait, are you saying that I am ignorant!?
Old 01-02-11, 11:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It can only be considered a hobby if you are scrapbooking while riding.
Old 01-02-11, 11:44 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax
A 944? That's cool! I've always liked those, and felt they were very under rated.

Wait, are you saying that I am ignorant!?
colombo made a very ignorant statement. he assumed i had an "overpriced" car when in actuality i have an "underpriced" 24 year old car that has a lower resale value than some bikes. nothing screams insecurity and immaturity like judging people's possessions and their "size".

i have no hard feelings for you.
Old 01-02-11, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris R.
I don't think normal hobby's take so much time and hurt so much....I think bike racing and riding is a sport; a beautiful, hard, amazing and addictive sport.
As tragically poetic as that was is cycling really that much different in those respects than say rock climbing? Or running? Or whatever else people want to get nutty and passionate over that doesn't pay the bills?
Old 01-02-11, 11:46 PM
Steel is real, baby!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
colombo made a very ignorant statement. he assumed i had an "overpriced" car when in actuality i have an "underpriced" 24 year old car that has a lower resale value than some bikes. nothing screams insecurity and immaturity like judging people's possessions and their "size".

i have no hard feelings for you.
As long as we're cool...
Old 01-02-11, 11:48 PM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
it's more of an addiction.

Do any other "hobbies" entail suffering?
bdsm
Old 01-02-11, 11:58 PM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Vita & Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dare to bet a lot of people here have more money in cycling accessories that are "above" their talent level than i have in my car.
So you're not allowed to ride a nice bike if you're not fast? You have to ride a cheap bike, even though you may make $100K?

If they have the money, they can spend it how they like. There are no qualification tests to buy nice bike stuff. Until there are, forget about it.
Old 01-03-11, 12:06 AM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by kuf
So you're not allowed to ride a nice bike if you're not fast? You have to ride a cheap bike, even though you may make $100K?

If they have the money, they can spend it how they like. There are no qualification tests to buy nice bike stuff. Until there are, forget about it.
I think the point he was making is if you spend more than you "need", then it's probably some sort of hobby. I'm sure there are exceptions to that. If someone can buy a Corvette to go to work and do errands with, I'm sure someone could spend $2000 on a commuter bike to get 5 miles to work.
Old 01-03-11, 12:07 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kuf

that is not at all what i said. you are making the same point i was. i was accused of "compensating" by driving a porsche on a site where people ride bikes that cost more than the car (even though a "lesser" bike would suit there needs just fine.)
Old 01-03-11, 12:29 AM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Vita & Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is not at all what i said. you are making the same point i was. i was accused of "compensating" by driving a porsche on a site where people ride bikes that cost more than the car (even though a "lesser" bike would suit there needs just fine.)
Ah, so you were using that concept for comparison and weren't serious about it. Please disregard then .
Old 01-03-11, 04:51 AM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
As heroin is to the junkie, as alcohol is to the alcoholic, as money is to the wall streeters- so is cycling to the roadie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.