Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate MKS Sylvan Touring Pedal Hack

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

The Ultimate MKS Sylvan Touring Pedal Hack

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-20, 08:18 PM

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
I certainly hope your injuries do not interfere with your enjoyment of Cicyling. That would be a tough one on me. I hope everything turns out well.

But out my main question is do these Podiatry Sites recommend this mid-foot pedaling style for everyone as a preferred pedaling style?...Thanks,mjac
First, I apologize for the hijack.

Thank you, I hope I heal well this time as well! I keep saying I'm either too stubborn or too stupid to know when to stay down...

As for the podiatry sites and midfoot, there are a lot of pro cyclists that have custom shoes for a more midfoot position. I forgot to bookmark a sports physiology that talked about midfoot positioning. But I also remember this was discussed as far back as 1990, for those using clipless pedals.
Old 03-07-20, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
First, I apologize for the hijack.

Thank you, I hope I heal well this time as well! I keep saying I'm either too stubborn or too stupid to know when to stay down...

As for the podiatry sites and midfoot, there are a lot of pro cyclists that have custom shoes for a more midfoot position. I forgot to bookmark a sports physiology that talked about midfoot positioning. But I also remember this was discussed as far back as 1990, for those using clipless pedals.
What Hijack? I asked you.

I will be darned. All this fiddling around with current pedal design and the people who study this think the mid foot design is more efficient then any of them and pros are starting to adopt them. I shove my toe clips way out with two 1/4" spacers and a 1/16" width lip that drapes over the front of the pedal which puts the ball of my feet a little pass the spindle and it is more comfortable then it has ever been.

I hope you have a good recovery. It is amazing how far they have come with knee replacement. Basic recovery in 5 - 6 weeks? That is unbelievable for such a complicated procedure. But you say ankle replacement has not come that far.
Old 03-07-20, 09:01 PM

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Originally Posted by mjac
What Hijack? I asked you.

I will be darned. All this fiddling around with current pedal design and the people who study this think the mid foot design is more efficient then any of them and pros are starting to adopt them. I shove my toe clips way out with two 1/4" spacers and a 1/16" width lip that drapes over the front of the pedal which puts the ball of my feet a little pass the spindle and it is more comfortable then it has ever been.I hope you have a good recovery. It is amazing how far they have come with knee replacement. Basic recovery in 5 - 6 weeks? That is unbelievable for such a complicated procedure. But you say ankle replacement has not come that far.
I know you asked, but I took a deeper dive with my issues...

You might be proving the midfoot position has merit... I switched to a cheap platform pedal on my indoor bike to see how I feel in general, but I like it so far. So I will be buying some larger platforms soon. I just can't quite justify the cost of the larger Catalyst. They make a size specific to us larger size 13 and up folks. My PT also suggested pedal washers vs extenders. I think it merits mention, he is an amateur crit racer.

Recovery from knee replacement is a year long process. But I was back to work after 5 weeks. I have access to an ice machine and I was able to have my leg up frequently. Also, my work required I be seen by occupational med for 3 months, in addition to my surgeon's care. I will state I pushed every limit with my recovery and got away with it all. Including a jump off the back of an ATV at 7 months post op. On purpose. But swelling and stiffness can last a year. They have been doing knee replacements a long time, ankles, not s much, and they just aren't sturdy or the process as refined as knees. Ankle fusion is the preferred method currently Because of my weight, age and activity level, I am a POOR candidate for ankle replacement.
Old 03-07-20, 10:27 PM

I know you asked, but I took a deeper dive with my issues...

You might be proving the midfoot position has merit... I switched to a cheap platform pedal on my indoor bike to see how I feel in general, but I like it so far. So I will be buying some larger platforms soon. I just can't quite justify the cost of the larger Catalyst. They make a size specific to us larger size 13 and up folks. My PT also suggested pedal washers vs extenders. I think it merits mention, he is an amateur crit racer.

Recovery from knee replacement is a year long process. But I was back to work after 5 weeks. I have access to an ice machine and I was able to have my leg up frequently. Also, my work required I be seen by occupational med for 3 months, in addition to my surgeon's care. I will state I pushed every limit with my recovery and got away with it all. Including a jump off the back of an ATV at 7 months post op. On purpose. But swelling and stiffness can last a year. They have been doing knee replacements a long time, ankles, not s much, and they just aren't sturdy or the process as refined as knees. Ankle fusion is the preferred method currently Because of my weight, age and activity level, I am a POOR candidate for ankle replacement.
I hate this about websites. I looked them up and they don't say if the price they quote is for one pedal or a pair. I don't know, so I am restricted in what I can say. But let's assume it is for just one for the sake of what I am about to say. No, I would not opt for the $199 per pedal XL. That is really up there. But, you are facing ankle fusion,which you are trying to delay, you have had one knee replacement surgery and need another one, your back is fused though it has heeled nicely, you need the Catalyst Pedal. Period. Go with the $129 model even if it is for only one pedal. You are right at the borderline. The XL starts at 13. It is a well designed, well engineered and well built (sealed bearings) piece of equipment. It is the last pedal you are ever going to buy and it will take stress off of every problem area you have on every pedal stroke you make for the rest of your cicyling life. Along with making you more efficient with every pedal stroke and the whole ride experience more enjoyable with every pedal stroke. This will be the best investment in bike equipment you ever made. Find a way to do it. If it was not a quality made product I would say no, even if it had a good design. But this is a quality product for the money. If you do not invest in yourself, what are you going to invest in? Even if they are $129 each. If they are $129 a pair and you do not get them I will come over there and pull your nostril hairs out.

I tell you what, when I upgrade, I am going from my $27 MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals that I modified, bypass everything elase and go straight to the Catalyst and put one of those pedal bands on them (I forget their name)

I am done wore out.
Old 03-08-20, 12:43 AM

I do believe they are priced per pair. And agree investing in myself is the best I can make... No pulling of nostril hairs required.
Old 03-08-20, 03:41 AM

I do believe they are priced per pair. And agree investing in myself is the best I can make... No pulling of nostril hairs required.
Sorry for the crude reference but those are some nice pedals. You are crazy not to get at least the $129 model. If they don't work send them back and get the $199 model. They have free shipping they may have free returns. Get in touch with them and ask them if there is any way you can get by with the smaller version given your size foot. Then again with the boot you may need the larger version. People spend over $199 on specialized more efficient pedals all the time and they are not trying to compensate for injuries,you are.

I think you had it down pat. The key after surgery is to ice it down for 20 minutes every 20 minutes. Beyond that you get diminishing returns. That's what I did after hernia surgery and it worked like a charm. No pain medication or anything. Almost comfortable. Healed up nice. Listen to your PT.

I forgot to ask you. How do you get a picture or screen shot I guesse you call it from another website posted on a post or private message? I have something I want to post.
Old 03-08-20, 03:59 AM

By the way, the pedals aren't going to cost you $199. They are going to cost you $199 minus what you were going to spend on a good platform pedal anyway.