Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road bikes sloping top tube, why?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Road bikes sloping top tube, why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 10:54 PM
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
If I read this correctly, you are stating that a more direct route from your headset to the bar center is not as good? From a STYLING view, yes reads "comfort" bike, aka $340. hybrid. Now the length is another story, if you cannot get the correct length with the rise, thats a supply problem.

Do note, I can ride a 2cm smaller frame with the same top tube on a 40's to 50's bike than a 70's frame as the saddle has a different dimension from rail to contact surface, but I like 8cm of drop from saddle to bars...old racers have a hard time doing otherwise. But I will admit, I ride on the hoods mostly, then get into the drops when the going gets Serious.

A distributor loves this compact geometry stuff, as noted makes the SKU's easier to manage, now there is a possible chance that a short top tube (effective horizontal length) MIGHT when mated to a long stem to get a good position will yield a better handling machine. I felt that way on an old criterium bike in the 70's, but NOT when going down hill, just around 90 degree turns.
well, carrying the idea to extremes, the ultimate result would be a vertical stem, with no offset at all. I've seen circus bikes set up this way, and I assume that they must want to turn very easily... We've had the stem offset discussion before; the issue still isn't settled in my mind. I have as little rise in my stem as I can get away with and that is more than likely because that is what I am used to...but I think that the bike behaves better. I also have about 8cm drop, and with the newer geometry and my old stem that put me down to about 12 or 13 or so.

And...I think that it looks ugly, too.

The real point of the note was that the (expensive) fork needs to be cut to length, and that may not work out for the next guy downstream. But, then again, the manufacturers probably don't want it to work out anyway.
Old 02-15-08, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
I forgot to mention that a single spacer is useful, between the headset and the stem...at least 5mm, just ask those Trek mechanics after the P.R. fiasco, bar detachment.

Oh yes, the threadless stems are faster to assemble on the production line.

At NAHBS, there was a few external/internal threadless stems, the steerer inserted into the stem that had a pinchbolt like a seatpost binder, with that, one can get the height, have a level extension and look retro and cool custom and modern at the same time, whats money for a cool look.
Old 02-16-08, 03:21 AM

Bikes: Dawes road bike and Trek Antelope 850

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see that Thorn still list a horizontal frame, but their newer one's slope ...

Old 02-16-08, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
It's cheaper for the manufacturer to build bikes that way. One frame can fit many different sizes of people by adjusting the seat post, and stem lengths. Personally I prefer a standard frame. I really dislike a longer than neccessary seat post. I suspect adults today who grew as bmx riders think it looks normal.
Old 02-16-08, 10:28 AM
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I forgot to mention that a single spacer is useful, between the headset and the stem...at least 5mm, just ask those Trek mechanics after the P.R. fiasco, bar detachment.

Oh yes, the threadless stems are faster to assemble on the production line.

At NAHBS, there was a few external/internal threadless stems, the steerer inserted into the stem that had a pinchbolt like a seatpost binder, with that, one can get the height, have a level extension and look retro and cool custom and modern at the same time, whats money for a cool look.
yessir. Looks really are important, at least to me. However, I spent some time with these thoughts last night, and what we are all lamenting about really comes down to the fact that the world is changing. We have almost 6 billion souls now, and a good part of them want to ride a bike (or must!). The majority of the population hasn't got the interest or the income to seek out a custom builder, so giant conglomerates like, um, Giant, figure out how to produce 150,000 bikes per year where a builder used to build about 200. They become, like a lot of things, consumables.

That's okay...because it takes a mountain of bikes to equal one consumable car. and there are always people like us fishing the bikes outta the trash.
Old 05-29-08, 01:58 PM

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 162 Posts
Why Not?
Old 05-29-08, 04:07 PM
Title-Les

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently I got a bike that appears to have a reverse-sloped top tube. A "California-rake" as we kids called it 50 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8531b.JPG (96.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-29-08, 04:17 PM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
Richard Sachs comments on sloping top tubes and straight fork blades HERE.

Basically, it's all about economics.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 05-29-08, 04:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by old_alfie
Recently I got a bike that appears to have a reverse-sloped top tube. A "California-rake" as we kids called it 50 years ago.
It has to be faster since it's already going downhill!

Last edited by McDave; 05-29-08 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-29-08, 05:02 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Not solely based on economics; the desire to ride what the pros have is also there. It's why Americans starting riding racing bikes in the 70's in the first place. Of course, they had to have stem shifters and turkey levers, too.

My Orbea has a slight slope to the top tube; My Bianchi does not. The Orbea is a faster, more nimble bike but it is also lighter and has 19 more gears.

Definitely wouldn't kick this out of the garage:

Or this either:

slope, no slope; it's all good.
Old 05-29-08, 05:13 PM

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 162 Posts
Why is a sloping top tube such a big deal? With the invention of the mountain bike longer seat post were invented. Bike maker decided to use them on road bikes. Not a big deal. I personally like the modern look but i have older bikes with traditional frames i like also. Go to any bike shop & buy the style you choose.
Old 05-29-08, 05:58 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
Maybe a secret, prehistoric desire to get back to mixte's.
Old 05-29-08, 08:53 PM
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by old_alfie
More likely I think, it's got the wrong forks on it.
Old 05-29-08, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
Why is a sloping top tube such a big deal? With the invention of the mountain bike longer seat post were invented. Bike maker decided to use them on road bikes. Not a big deal. I personally like the modern look but i have older bikes with traditional frames i like also. Go to any bike shop & buy the style you choose.
There's only one local shop I've been to that has a horizontal tube in it?,,,,BD

Showing my age here. but I even like MTB's with level top tubes, hehe.

Last edited by Bikedued; 05-29-08 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-29-08, 10:32 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 4,421 Times in 2,098 Posts
Throwing another theory into the fire:

If you can't come up with a new way to reinvent the bicycle, you ain't going to sell any!

-Kurt

Old 05-29-08, 10:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Barker
Sloping top tube is made so boys can ride a girls bike without feeling feminine.
you beat me to it.
Old 05-30-08, 12:21 AM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why even have a top tube? If sloping top tube fits more people, then no top tube fits everybody.
Old 05-30-08, 12:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to mention a single spacer is useful, between the headset and the stem...at least 5mm, just ask those Trek mechanics after the P.R. fiasco, bar detachment.
i've heard that there should be at least a 5mm spacer above the stem for integrity purposes, but why does one need a 5mm spacer between the headset and stem?
does proximity of the stem to the headset induce stresses that can eventually lead to steerer failure? thanks for the interesting feedback!
Old 05-30-08, 01:22 AM
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Throwing another theory into the fire:

If you can't come up with a new way to reinvent the bicycle, you ain't going to sell any!

-Kurt
This is why campy's coming out with 11 speed next year...

I haven't been around here for a bit due to injuries (face planted coming downhill at 40ish mph, pretty happy being alive), but this debate is always fun.

As you've said, it's for economics, aesthetics, and because it might fit some people better.

There are sloping (compact) frames, semi sloping (semi compact), and traditional geometry frames. If you look at todays pro peloton, all of these kinds of frames are present with no ill effect on the riders. It's just a matter of taste. Compact frames are supposed to be stiffer, but there have not been any real tests on stiffness vs efficiency yet (i.e. does frame flex with a steel frame make you 'waste' energy?).

Either way, ride what you like and the world will be a happy place

PS Bikedued, horizontal top tube mtb's? What are you, from the early 80's or something? You probably like rigid forks as well
Old 05-30-08, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pepper Grinder
A road racing bicycle is designed for efficient power transfer at minimum weight and drag. Broadly speaking, the road bicycle geometry is categorized as either a traditional geometry with a horizontal top tube, or a compact geometry with a sloping top tube.

Traditional geometry road frames are often associated with more comfort and greater stability, and tend to have a longer wheelbase which contribute to these two aspects. Compact geometry road frames have a lower center of gravity and tend to have a shorter wheelbase and smaller rear triangle, which give the bike quicker handling. Compact geometry also allows the top of the head tube to be above the top of the seat tube, increasing standover clearance, and lowering the center of gravity. Opinion is divided on the riding merits of the compact frame, but several manufacturers claim that a reduced range of sizes can fit most riders, and that it is easier to build a frame without a perfectly level top tube.

THANKS WIKIPEDIA!
Good answer.

There is a difference in ride quality between the newer compact frame design and the traditional diamond frame. The larger frame provides a much "damper" ride. The slope or "rake" of the forks and head tube is old-school's answer to soft suspension.

The newer frames, have less metal and are lighter weight. Bicycle engineers have always chased the lightweight, strong, low-cost combination which the later compact frames offer.