Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Local bike shop screwed me!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Local bike shop screwed me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
Some of you people are in a weird place.
Welcome to Bike Forums.
Old 06-09-23, 08:37 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Most people don't lose a receipt quite so quickly. It's only been since November....

Either that or I am a slob and that kind of stuff just piles up indefinitely.
Old 06-09-23, 09:58 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
The shop never said they didn't recollect having the bike or denying having a record of the consignment.
The shop said they couldn't find the folder of consignment agreements because it is in the middle of a major renovation and it was buried under boxes in the office area.
The bike was sold and the shop did err in mailing the check to the owner, as is the shop's policy, due to the above. The bike was sold a couple of months ago, it sat for approx. 3-4 months in the shop, during the renovation.
The shop dug through the office and did find the consignment agreement, as they said they would, and the digital sales record and the op was paid what he was due.
The shop does well with trade ins, consignments and outright purchases of used bikes.
The shop is now trying to figure out a better way to handle consignment payments though this is the first time they screwed up.
The matter has been resolved to both parties satisfaction.

While any business that accepts consignment sales has a responsibility to conclude the consignment in a timely fashion after the item is sold it is up to the consignee to check on the status of the consignment now and then instead of waiting months. It is also the consignee's responsibility to get a receipt, though it is also the business' responsibility to make sure they give a copy of the agreement to the consignee, of the consignment...signed by all parties of course. But stuff happens and in this case both parties could have/should have done a better job.

I'd say this concludes the questions...

Thanks for clarifying this. Putting up the details allowed the OP to answer fairly instead of the vague assertion that things were not as reported which is an insinuation too vague to be answered.

And he confirmed that your version is about right, so I think it was very fair of you to get the owner's perspective on this into the thread. Obviously, that took a bit of effort on your part, so it's commendable.
Old 06-09-23, 11:09 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
Okee-dokee.
Bottom line is this: they took the bike in on consignment, sold it and never contacted the consignee in any way. When the consignee finally checked in and asked about it, it took them three days to check into it. And that’s best case scenario. So either the shop is chock full of ineptitude or someone is full of crap.
Whatever. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter. I got paid for the stupid bike and I doubt I’ll ever go into the place again and I’m quite certain it’s not going to make a huge dent in their revenue. No hard feelings and I wish them well. Heck, probably nothing like that will ever happen again and the shop will do very well and sell lots of bikes and everybody will be happy and we’ll all ride bikes together in paradise.
So here's the deal. I just checked and I found your Yelp review is still up complete with your allegation that the owner has "no integrity", and no mention of them actually making good on it. There's no mention in the review about him having his wife look for it or that he was looking into it, just the story as you told it in the OP.

If indeed you have no hard feelings and wish them well, it seems to me you should either change your review to tell the whole story or take it down.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-09-23, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Interesting. This post is almost a week old and the OP bowed out the first day. I assume he realizes both he and the shop made mistakes and doesn't see the point in belaboring it anymore.

Meanwhile this thread has become 3 pages of scrutiny of the OP and the shop. BillyD is right, we will argue about anything.
Originally Posted by spelger
no we wont.
I told you once!
Old 06-11-23, 09:58 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Case closed

As of today, the Yelp review is gone. OP, I'm glad you finally got paid for the bike and, for what it's worth, I think you did the right thing here.
Likes For livedarklions: