Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do the dry (silicone based) chain lubes build up after a few applications?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I've always been a light oil guy, or even WD-40 on chains. I've just got everything in the drive train spotlessly clean for biking season and was thinking....should I switch to dry lube?

How do you remove silicone lube from a chain if you want to?
Old 03-29-14, 07:04 PM
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gasoline always work
Old 03-29-14, 07:20 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5849 Post(s)
Liked 2,683 Times in 1,497 Posts
To my knowldege, there are no silicone based chain lubes out there. While there might be some I don't know about, most dry lubes are a dry agent, commonly Teflon, suspended in a solvent to help carry it into the chain. Then the solvent evaporates leaving the lube i place.

In diect answer to your question, they don't build up because the newly applied solvent tends to lift and flush old stuff in the process.

The real issue isn't lube build up because that can't be a bad thing, but dirt buildup, and the tendency of lube applier to a dirty chain, carrying dirt deeper into the chain where it causes wear. (Dirt on the outside doesn't matter, except to the extent that it migrates into the wear zone)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-29-14, 07:34 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is many silicone lubes. I just saw few at Lowes and Home Depot. Not interested in testing them since I'm very happy with what I'm using. Many silicone based lubricants are used...for very intimate uses
Old 03-29-14, 07:39 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by lopek77
There is many silicone lubes. I just saw few at Lowes and Home Depot. Not interested in testing them since I'm very happy with what I'm using. Many silicone based lubricants are used...for very intimate uses
Yes, there are silicone lubes, and if you want to be silly we can go that way.

BUT

The OP asked a specific question about dry (silicone based) chain lubes, and I chose to give him an on-point answer.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 03-29-14, 08:07 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, there are silicone lubes, and if you want to be silly we can go that way.

BUT

The OP asked a specific question about dry (silicone based) chain lubes, and I chose to give him an on-point answer.
Silly? WTH is wrong with you?
Old 03-29-14, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the info, gents!
Old 03-29-14, 08:31 PM

Silly? WTH is wrong with you?
Yes, SILLY.

Or are we to assume that Gasoline and a reference to intimate lubrication were serious answers?

Maybe your laughing emoticons confused me. I guess you see his question to show off how funny you think you are.

So, yes, in the absence of an alternate word, silly it is. But if it makes you feel better, you can consider yourself the funniest man since Seinfeld.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-29-14 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-29-14, 08:35 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Remember to choose your chain lube to riding conditions. I ride in Midwest, North East states, so a lot of mixed conditions, I never liked dry lubes. I use Prolink which is not attracting dirt /when not over-applied/, and it's wonderful in wet conditions. If you are a mtb biker and ride a lot in muddy condition - I would stick to dry, wax based lubes, and I would clean chain after each ride.
WD40 is also an "OK" lube/cleaner. About 1/4 of it are oils, and many oil based bicycle lubricants have similar ingredients. It won't last long though , but I use it a lot for cleaning some components when not too dirty, and when I don't have time for playing with gasoline.
Old 03-29-14, 08:39 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, SILLY.

Or are we to assume that Gasoline and a reference to intimate lubrication were serious answers?

Maybe your laughing emoticons confused me. I guess you see his question to show off how funny you think you are.

So, yes, in the absence of an alternate word, silly it is. But if it makes you feel better, you can consider yourself the funniest man since Seinfeld.
Gasoline is an excellent cleaner, especially for chains, and will leave a protective "oily" barrier when it dries, so it will protect metal from rust.
There is many silicone based lubricants used in intimate settings.

Now...you tell me who is silly. If I'm not up to your standards - it's your problem. Don't be a grumpy old man...Did you ever smile, or you always like that? It's a bike forum, and about fun outdoor activity, NOT military base...

Old 03-30-14, 05:14 AM

Bikes: '07 Salsa La Raza Campy build, '09 Fuji Absolute 3.0, '86 Raleigh Capri Fixie Conversion, '91 Specialized Hardrock Fixie Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've used Sunlite's Dry Lube with Silicone in the shop in the past and it works well enough. I've never experienced any kind of build up on the chain from repeated use. Although if you would like a suggestion I don't recommend dry lubes like that except in very dry dusty conditions, and I've found that such lubes do not last very long between applications.
Old 03-30-14, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a silicon spray on stanchions , does not build up or stick around very long either for that matter. Tried it under a clean mower deck for mowing in the rain, it failed there.
Old 03-30-14, 08:39 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Gasoline is an excellent cleaner, especially for chains, and will leave a protective "oily" barrier when it dries, so it will protect metal from rust.
Yes, gasoline is an excellent chain cleaner but it's also dangerous as all hell. It's toxic and extremely flammable (its flashpoint is -8°F). There are other far safer but equally efficient chain cleaners such as Kerosene and Odorless Mineral Spirits. If you insist on using gasoline I hope you work outside and well away from all sparks and flames.
Old 03-30-14, 08:46 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
Yes, gasoline is an excellent chain cleaner but it's also dangerous as all hell. It's toxic and extremely flammable (its flashpoint is -8°F). There are other far safer but equally efficient chain cleaners such as Kerosene and Odorless Mineral Spirits. If you insist on using gasoline I hope you work outside and well away from all sparks and flames.
Love the smell of gas while smoking a cigarette. The only thing I don't like is ash in the gasoline container while I clean my chain.
Old 03-30-14, 08:51 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Love the smell of gas while smoking a cigarette. The only thing I don't like is ash in the gasoline container while I clean my chain.
Keep at it and soon the ash in the container won't be just from the cigarette.
Old 03-30-14, 09:00 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Yes, gasoline is an excellent chain cleaner but............ There are other far safer but equally efficient chain cleaners such as Kerosene and Odorless Mineral Spirits.
The bad thing about using solvents on a bicycle chain is removing the solvent..... before reapplying lubricant. Although the carrier may evaporate quickly I don't like the leftover solvent residue to be part of my fresh lubricant. If you use a solvent, then wash off the solvent to get a proper oiling... why not just wash off the old crud to begin with?

Before I oil the chain I like to get it clean... and allow it to dry. In a pinch... I have used WD-40 as a solvent followed later with a little fresh oil. Or even WD-40 to thaw frozen parts.
Old 03-30-14, 09:10 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1

We also got so dangerously close to the moment when we discuss which chain lube is the best, and why WD40 is "bad" for chain.
Old 03-30-14, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
OP, silicone-based lubes are not effective/efficient on bicycle drivetrains. I have tried to use silicone lubes on my bicycle pulleys (reasoning they are made of plastic and won't result in build-ups), but found out they are not as effective as the regular bike lube and don't last as long.

I have used LPS and also Dupont silicone lubes.
Old 03-30-14, 12:59 PM

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I can't comment on silicone, but I used White Lightning for awhile. I found that it did accumulate between cogs on my cassette and the derailleur pulleys. The waxy stuff doesn't dissolve easily so cleaning was a pain.

I don't want to start an argument about gasoline, but it sure does clean well. I haven't used it in years but it used to be the standard degreaser in the garage when I was growing up. If it weren't for the smell I'd probably still drop my chains in it.

I know it's volatile, but how many times have you heard of gas station explosions, where careless "amateurs" handle gasoline every day?

Last edited by Eric S.; 03-30-14 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-30-14, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eric S.
I know it's volatile, but how many times have you heard of gas station explosions, where careless "amateurs" handle gasoline every day?
The issue with gasoline isn't it's high flammability alone, it's the density of the vapors. Not a serious issue outdoors like at gas stations where the fumes dissipate rapidly. But in confined places, the vapors accumulate in low sumps where the fuel/air mix is extremely explosive.

It's this risk of accumulating and forming explosive fuel/air mixes that makes gasoline so dangerous. So used outdoors, with reasonable care it's not outrageously dangerous. Used indoors without positive, spark proof ventilation it can be very risky. I'm not saying use gasoline and die, just saying it calls for some understanding and management of the risks.

Old 03-30-14, 01:17 PM

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Point well taken. As well as it dissolved gunk on chains, I always hated the smell on my hands for the next couple days. Never mind the flammability, that alone is enough reason not to use it!
Old 03-30-14, 01:17 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 888 Posts
We can only hope-
Old 03-30-14, 01:39 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Should I add "Don't try that at home"?
Old 03-31-14, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Chain care, wear and skipping by Jobst Brandt
Old 03-31-14, 01:22 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Gasoline is extremely dangerous and should never be considered as a cleaner or solvent. And it has no place on a bike forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.