Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1915 Rola

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
What size cog/chainring doest it have?
Old 09-07-21, 03:26 PM

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
So you won't be wearing your best shoes on fast rides?
Unless the best shoes are steel-toed boots.
Old 09-07-21, 05:12 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,808 Times in 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Incredibly cool!

Any info on the component (pedals, hubs, etc.) makes?
Hubs are marked Rola, probably made by SIamt. The crank is engraved Perfect. Emmo Ghelfi was a distributor of Perfect (out of the UK) and just press fit the chain ring onto the crank. The pedals are unmarked, but Marco has seen in the past an identical set that were marked Rola. No markings on the rims. Rear dropouts could be Chater Lea. I also like the sloping fork crown with internal fork sleeves that CIno Cinelli "invented" 35 years later. I haven't torn down the BB, can't comment there. Integrated stem/bars is also not marked.

I forgot to add, I have been told the fixed cog and lockring are not a standard diameter. Haven't gotten to that non-compatible nightmare yet.

Last edited by iab; 09-07-21 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-07-21, 05:13 PM
iab

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
How do you operate this style of brake lever (on the 1915 Rola pictured)? Presuming your hands are on the grips in the dropped section of the bar...do you reach over with your thumb and pull the lever over towards the grip? Or do you curl your hand further under and grab the lever with your fingers and pull it over?
Yes. And a lot of screaming "For the love of god, please stop!"
Old 09-07-21, 05:16 PM
iab

Originally Posted by beech333
Maybe we need to arrange a race between my Desbois and your Rola..
Oh. It's on.

Old 09-07-21, 06:36 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Very cool! Did you say it's a fixed gear, or does it freewheel?

Originally Posted by iab
Worse than you think.
Since some of the brake parts are (as you say) 'fabricated,' I suspect something isn't as designed. I've seen spoon brakes that could send the rider on an endo. That's not your goal, of course, but it's always nice to have more braking power than you need.

Would you consider using a different wheel size, for actually riding the bike? I realize any other wheel size will be smaller, but maybe not noticeably smaller. The brake should adjust down....
Old 09-07-21, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,481 Times in 1,133 Posts
Wonderful bike! I'm eager to follow your progress on this one.

I'm struck by a couple of differences between this bike and the North American bikes I've seen of the same vintage. One is the straight seatpost on this bike compared to the "L" shaped seatposts on many of the North American bikes. Another is the skip-tooth chainwheels on North American bikes. Were these just regional variations or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Brent
Old 09-07-21, 07:28 PM
iab

Originally Posted by rhm
Very cool! Did you say it's a fixed gear, or does it freewheel?

Since some of the brake parts are (as you say) 'fabricated,' I suspect something isn't as designed. I've seen spoon brakes that could send the rider on an endo. That's not your goal, of course, but it's always nice to have more braking power than you need.

Would you consider using a different wheel size, for actually riding the bike? I realize any other wheel size will be smaller, but maybe not noticeably smaller. The brake should adjust down....
Fixed.

I could go to a 700C rim, but then it is no longer original. The front wheel is fine to ride. I have a proper Siamt rear hub and another 700A rim to build so I can ride it. I'll use the original for shows and such. And I may want you to make me a spare Rola saddle so my fat ass doesn't tear this one. Not until next year though, I have enough projects going.
Old 09-07-21, 07:31 PM
iab

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Wonderful bike! I'm eager to follow your progress on this one.

I'm struck by a couple of differences between this bike and the North American bikes I've seen of the same vintage. One is the straight seatpost on this bike compared to the "L" shaped seatposts on many of the North American bikes. Another is the skip-tooth chainwheels on North American bikes. Were these just regional variations or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Brent
Looking at catalogs out of Italy during this period, Bianchi, Legnano, etc., I don't see much difference between them. So I lean towards a regional thing. I could be entirely wrong.