Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Probable dumb question on biking distance tracking

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Probable dumb question on biking distance tracking

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 06:08 PM
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
installing an app is giving another company permission to obtain your private information. no thanks.
Free Software is about that, the source code is open so everyone can see what the program is doing
Old 04-09-19, 07:00 PM

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Free Software is about that, the source code is open so everyone can see what the program is doing
There's still the underlying OS components doing whatever, but you do have a point to a degree (customization is the more personal interest), might have to checkout the Osmand sources and build them.

And of course one can presumably still upload the tracks that feel comfortable to share to a place like strava.
Old 04-12-19, 05:52 AM
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
OSMAnd is very nice for Android phones (the "And" part of the name) and the maps are free so there's no Garmin map tax. I've tested it against my cycling gps and it matches up very well.

You can find older Garmin units on ebay at reasonable prices and while they may not have the latest features it doesn't sound like you need or want them anyway. You can download open street map files for your Garmin unit and avoid the Garmin map tax. I have a Garmin 705 unit that has been reliable (even after being launched from the bar mount a couple of times) and it tracks the ride / provides navigation well enough for my purposes.

I recently picked up a Garmin Fenix 3HR, and as much as I didn't want to like it, I do. The ease of strapping on a watch and clicking start is pretty nice. Nothing mounted on the bike, and the battery life is 24+ hours with the gps enabled. Mainly I got it for the RAIN ride coming up, and in the meantime I'm figuring out the options and features. Works well, and you can link it to Ant+ sensors if you want. I don't, just use the tracking feature and HR. Next ride, I may link the cadence sensor just to see if I'm doing better at keeping my cadence up.

I upload ride data as a .FIT file to RWG, and it works fine. I use a Linux laptop and a lot of units want windows which I don't have. Once you learn where the files are stored, it just takes a few seconds to upload ride data. I leave wifi off, don't see a reason to link it to my phone. I don't need to be THAT connected while I'm riding but to each their own.