Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Maximum lumens of flashlights using AA or AAA batteries?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Maximum lumens of flashlights using AA or AAA batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 05:19 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Nope. Units are different.
It goes even further than that. Lumens and lux are weighted based on the sensitivity of the human eye to certain wavelengths. Some of the wavelengths that lights put out...infrared, for example...we can't see so it's not included in measurement of the 'luminous flux' used for measuring lumens.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-02-13, 05:55 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Seems most of you don't mind having to recharge the batteries frequently? I don't feel like having to remember to charge batteries before a ride. It takes hours to recharge, and you have to take care not to overcharge. Do you guys just plug in batteries into your computers every day as a habit?
I recharge after every ride. It's just habit. A battery pack may make one trip to work or four but the problem is when it makes that half a trip to work. It's a little appreciated fact that it gets dark when the sun goes down. You get a bit more of an appreciation for that fact when your light blinks out and you have a few miles to travel. Due to some planning errors on a Gilligan's Island ride...aka a 3 Hour Tour in mountain biking...I learned the hard way what happens when the sun goes down. I now carry a backup light on my person at all times and a backup to the backup to backup the redundant systems on my bike. Stumbling through a forest by feel and by the light of a squeezy keychain light puts the fear of dark in ya.

As for the recharging, use a smart charger. If you use a lithium based battery, you have to use one. If you use nickel batteries, you'd be better off using one.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-02-13, 06:01 PM
Vegan on a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
Thats a bit like saying since a quart is smaller than a gallon - a gallon is better. AAs and AAAs are physically smaller than 18650 batteries - of course they hold less energy! It takes more of them to do the same job, but it still breaks down to total watt hours, and I have no problem running 10W LEDs off AA cells. More batteries to charge, and heavier than lithium, but no other issues.
li-ion has a higher energy per volume than alkaline batteries, so a li-ion battery the same size as a AA or AAA would still have more power. and weigh less.

if you want to take it to extremes, you can power car with AAAs.

without getting into DIY, one is generally better off just starting with a more robust power source than AA/AAA.
Old 01-02-13, 07:39 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
li-ion has a higher energy per volume than alkaline batteries, so a li-ion battery the same size as a AA or AAA would still have more power. and weigh less.

if you want to take it to extremes, you can power car with AAAs.

without getting into DIY, one is generally better off just starting with a more robust power source than AA/AAA.
Just so you know - I have both rechargable AAs, AAAs and 3S1 Lipo cells. If you're looking for something 'more robust', 18650s are no different than AAs compared to larger Lipos. The thing that hasn't been mentioned is that rechargable AAs are less than half the price of a lipo and will last a lot longer. Some of mine are currently 12 years old. So use what you want - lets just not pretend there's only one answer.