Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What happened to my carbon frame?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What happened to my carbon frame?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 06:51 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
What exactly does this mean?

Production process from what I could find, not hand made one by one but a production process was first done in 1986 by Kestrel that wasn't a lugged design which was done first by Exxon Graftek in 1975. There is nothing that I could find showing that Jamis pioneered some sort of manufacturing process with carbon. All Jamis says is that they pioneered a supposedly new radical manufacturing process that delivers the lightest, stiffest, most aero road bikes...and here's the key phrase...'WE'VE EVER PRODUCED". So in other words it's only new and radical to them and not to the rest of the world.
Context is key.

My response was to someone who made this claim:

"Jamis has its roots in steel going back over 3 decades, and this specific series (Renegade) is only a year old."

That's misleading since Jamis has been producing carbon frames for much longer than a year.

Jamis Carbon Fiber Technology
Old 09-12-16, 07:01 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I think that this crashing thing should be limited to road bikes because the original poster was discussing damage done to his road bike, not a mtb, or a cross bike, or some other bike. I agree crashing is higher with MTB riders or Cross riders if they're riding off road just due to the nature of the terrain that would naturally lead to more crashes.
Old 09-12-16, 09:02 PM
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We need a 12-step group for compulsive talkers. They could call it On Anon Anon.

<unsubscribe>
Old 09-12-16, 09:11 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by king_boru
We need a 12-step group for compulsive talkers. They could call it On Anon Anon.

<unsubscribe>
No, that would be for the spouses, family and close friends of compulsive talkers.

The program for the talkers themselves would be Onanon anonymous.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-12-16, 10:08 PM

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
My statement wasn't a generalization, go back and re-read it. It was directed at one person.
And most crashes don't even involve motorists so why scope lock on them? I haven't crashed a bike as an adult but I had a racer out of a pack thought he could turn directly across in front of me one day and he ended up over my bonnet. No injury to him thankfully, and you could reason that he was tired and distracted by the pace, but he was 100% at fault.

Don't you think time for you to get off the teat and stop looking for people to blame for your errors.
you responded to my statement which was a general one about all cyclists and accidents. sure sounded like a general statement since that's what you were responding to.

what errors of mine need blaming anyway? as I stated, I haven't had a crash since I was a kid. That's been about 6-7 years since I got back on a bike as an adult. thankfully that has involved zero accidents.
Old 09-13-16, 09:38 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
Methinks the crash issue has been settled to the best possible degree and we need to cut our losses on that one .... one at the bottom of a deep hole who shouts out, "Throw me down that rope------with a shovel tied to the end" is not his own best friend.
Old 06-18-17, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts like these make me hesitant to buy carbon.
Old 06-18-17, 07:24 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
Update: after some discussions between LBS and Bianchi the latter agreed to replace the broken frame with a new one, no charge. The only difference will be color, I hope it will be stronger than the old one.
I'm curious: how do you feel about the frame now vs going back to all steel or aluminum bikes, now that Bianchi is replacing it?

Did they agree it was a defect, or was it a customer retention type of decision?
Old 06-18-17, 11:42 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Bah! That little scratch will buff right out! Note: This is a zombie thread, so the issue has likely been resolved one way or another. (Am I going to have to read through 13 pages of posts to find out?)
Old 06-18-17, 11:58 AM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Both. Bianchi is not likely to warranty a crash, though no harm asking, since they may offer a deeply discounted replacement out of sympathy.

As for the thread, any moment the "ride CF and die!" folks will find it, and tell you all the reasons CF is dangerous and unpredictable.

BTW, it's possible, even likely, that the frame didn't fracture because your knee hit it, but if the circumstances of the crash were right, your knee might have acted as a fulcrum with both ends of the tube bent across it. Not saying that's what happened, just that I don't think a knee bump alone caused the damage.

36 seconds in...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>