Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Northeast Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 05:47 PM

Bikes: Tarmac SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
washington county

hmm, I like the looks of that, all except that 10 mile time trial.
Old 05-23-16, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by burger0014
hmm, I like the looks of that, all except that 10 mile time trial.
TOWC is a cool race. the kickoff crit i remember being especially fun.
Old 05-23-16, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I love bound brook. But my wife stresses over it because my elbow, and burning a holiday weekend to race doesn't work for me anymore.
wife stress can easily translate into racer stress. i hear ya.

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
You go down a steep descent at like 50mph and there's a 90* right at the bottom. It's really not sketchy, though I did see a couple of crashes there last year. I guess guys overcook and wash out, but it tends to be single file there so they slide out of the way.
thanks. a friend who grew up in maine and raced KSR a few times in the p/1(/2) field happened to give me a call yesterday. he washed out in that turn (his fault--just overcooked it a bit on the final lap and didn't see some gravel near the edge of the road.

he explained the issue with the sprint in a way that made perfect sense. basically:
* we all know it is a high-speed and 'dangerous' sprint (meaning there are crashes every year).
* given that, a bunch of riders go into the race saying they'll just cruise in for same time to stay out of trouble.
* after that final turn, it's downhill/fast to the finish. everyone recovers from the hard efforts of the race.
* now that everyone is feeling great, many of the guys who swore they wouldn't contest the sprint feel like they'll give it a shot. what the hell?
* maybe this is compounded in the p12 field, but guys may get an upgrade point for 9th vs 10th place.
* now, guys who have no business sprinting at 50mph and rubbing elbows find themselves in that very situation.
* guys are slowing down, others are jumping around them at 50, but then hitting the wind and slowing, etc.

seems like the real key is if one is NOT a true sprinter, you should stick to your guns and forget any great/recovered feelings you get in the final, fast, downhill kilometers. *that* is the real issue.

Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
@tetonrider

To expand on this: you do the KOM, which immediately gives way to a feed zone. You take a left out of the feed, a right, and are on a downhill. There is then a 90 degree turn to the right that is indeed fast, but even when I did the race in the 3s there was never anything to worry about. In the wet you might want to be careful but it is nothing that worried me in any year I have done this.

Show-up and partay. Let us create a break of BFers, and ride off into the sunset so we may merrily eat pancakes.
thanks!

i'm leaning toward going (i.e. i booked a hotel room; refundable), but i'll wait until after my RR here to make a decision. weather looks warm for the weekend, but maybe some rain saturday afternoon and/or monday.

i've been known to ride in some breaks, but a quick glance at the reg list makes me wonder how controlled/shut down this race might be.

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Definitely. Stealth guest rider for Community.

Im working Saturday and Sunday, and staying over at least on Saturday night. If any of you would like to get together, PM me.
i could be up for it. or down for it. whichever you prefer.

what's the lodging situation, @Mike686y and @dz_nuzz? @shovelhd, you staying at killington or rutland? room is booked in rutland right now.

would prefer to have a VRBO or something, to cook, but doesn't look like that is going to happen.
Old 05-23-16, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Me, mikey and teammates are staying in Rutland.
Old 05-23-16, 07:30 PM

Regarding the danger and whatever: the road book specifically says, multiple times, that the officials will be very generous in calculating the size of the front group, to discourage riders who really shouldn't be mixing it up in a 50mph sprint to hang back. I haven't done KSR but I'm 124 lbs and I guess I sprint okay at that weight, but this sort of thing isn't really my wheelhouse. If I have good legs, I'll sprint for KOM points but definitely not downhill at 50 mph. I don't even care if I lose time, I have zero chance at GC. In the unlikely event that I have the legs to compete for something, it'll be the KOM (LOL).
Old 05-23-16, 07:44 PM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
RE: the sprint
Old 05-23-16, 08:58 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Housing is being provided for me but I have no idea what or where it is. For all I know it could be a chicken coop in some farmers back yard.
Old 05-23-16, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the name of that place you like with all the goofy **** on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?
Old 05-23-16, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Regarding the danger and whatever: the road book specifically says, multiple times, that the officials will be very generous in calculating the size of the front group, to discourage riders who really shouldn't be mixing it up in a 50mph sprint to hang back. I haven't done KSR but I'm 124 lbs and I guess I sprint okay at that weight, but this sort of thing isn't really my wheelhouse. If I have good legs, I'll sprint for KOM points but definitely not downhill at 50 mph. I don't even care if I lose time, I have zero chance at GC. In the unlikely event that I have the legs to compete for something, it'll be the KOM (LOL).
yep--just saying that everyone reads this, 90% of riders say they won't contest the sprint....then (according to my buddy) suddenly their legs feel good after 5' of not pedaling and they decide to 'give it a shot.'

if you can have the discipline that you described (i think i can), then it's NBD.
Old 05-24-16, 04:41 AM
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I dunno, Ansel won it last year and he is not much bigger than you. You can hit 200 rpm, right?
Old 05-24-16, 04:50 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I'll be on the Ben & Jerry's factory tour and then touristing Burlington.
Old 05-24-16, 05:23 AM
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a B&B booked in Killington for $110 a night. Guy said he'll make whatever we want as early as we want it. You guys are all in the p12 or 3 right?

Also, the weather forecast better improve.

Last edited by Harlan; 05-24-16 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-24-16, 06:33 AM
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will admit to being a little nervous about the thunderstorms that are forecasted. Then again bad weather favors a break I guess?
Old 05-24-16, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
I dunno, Ansel won it last year and he is not much bigger than you. You can hit 200 rpm, right?
Heh. Believe it or not, I'm not Ansel.
Old 05-24-16, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i was hanging out at the back last year when there was a massive crash in the 3s and i think that experience validated my decision to not contest that sprint ever. i'm sure winning is nice and stuff but so is being alive and my main focus of the whole race is stage 2 anyway. hell, i'd almost prefer it as a 1 day race.
Old 05-24-16, 07:31 AM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Yurp... I was in process of moving back to get out of the fracas and went sailing into that one. Luckily other dudes broke my fall, but there was noticeable air hangtime

So I guess this year I'll be at the back with 3k to go instead of 1k to go.
Old 05-24-16, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FFJ
Battenkill is an awesome race, and even though I did not do as well as I was hoping, I had a super fun time! We need more categorized road races with some gravel and dirt thrown in to the mix.

Dieter, thank you for a great race this weekend and please reconsider dropping the pro/am format going forward!
Thank you.
Old 05-24-16, 10:19 AM
FFJ

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
i was hanging out at the back last year when there was a massive crash in the 3s and i think that experience validated my decision to not contest that sprint ever. i'm sure winning is nice and stuff but so is being alive and my main focus of the whole race is stage 2 anyway. hell, i'd almost prefer it as a 1 day race.
+1.
Old 05-24-16, 10:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be on the Ben & Jerry's factory tour and then touristing Burlington.
Im not a big Ben and Jerrys fan but I enjoyed the tour.
Old 05-24-16, 10:28 AM
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Im not a big Ben and Jerrys fan but I enjoyed the tour.
p&r
Old 05-24-16, 10:31 AM
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is how I approach the Day 1 sprint:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
img-thing.jpg (27.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-24-16, 10:54 AM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Proceed with training as if race rained out tonight?

[ ] yes
[ ] no
Old 05-24-16, 11:09 AM
out walking the earth

idk. We have a different tolerance for these things. It seems unlikely that rain will impact the race, based on the forecasts I've looked at, but I'd have pulled the plug at 6am and trained already anyway. I can't plan my schedule around weekday maybes.
Old 05-24-16, 11:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
p&r
I meant the ice cream.
Old 05-24-16, 11:45 AM
out walking the earth

lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.