Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

what's so special about brooks?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-03, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey-

needless to say, i've never tried a brooks saddle. i've heard about how comfy they are, with the leather stretched over the rails and all, but are they really that comfy? are they really worth the break in period? i use a selle italia prolink that i'm happy with, but i've never heard a bad word about brooks.

speaking of the break-in period, how long does it take to break one of these things in to the point that it's completely shaped to your butt? and are they horrendously painful before you get it broken in?

thanks for the input
Old 06-20-03, 08:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy a new ball peen hammer and give the seat a good 50 whacks. That should do it.

Old 06-20-03, 08:35 PM
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my customers does Randoneering(Extreme distance riding), an afternoon ride for him is 300 miles, and he swears by them.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 06-21-03, 12:43 AM
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
300miles in an afternoon.. that guy is nuts. For you Torontonians, thats from here to Montreal. Jeez!
Old 06-21-03, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Brooks are OK new , but dont go riding long distance. Just ride gently for about 3 weeks and the leather will adapt to your shape. Over the following months it will get more comfortable.
Dont go soaking a Brooks in any potions or hitting it.

The secret of a Brooks over other saddles is that they customise the shape to your particular rear-end configuration. Plastic saddles either fit or they dont fit.
Old 06-21-03, 03:31 AM
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question :If I bought a 2nd hand Brookes would it eventualy fit after some riding ????
Old 06-21-03, 08:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In converting my older touring bike to a fixed-gear, I debated going either a specialized comp (split saddle) as on my Concorde, or getting a Brooks Team Pro. I had a Team Pro on a badly fitted bike that I used on a trip to Mexico in '79. I remember it being as supple as glass, but I did not have the saddle problems that my riding mate had on his padded saddle. I went for the new Team Pro. The saddle has embossing that says "Pre-softened." I found it very comfortable right out of the box. I did not use any oil or softening agent. I think I prefer it to the Specialized, even though I was very satisfied with this saddle as well. Looking at it from the side, the top has a dip between the front of the saddle and the back. I thought that this would not allow me to slide back and forth as does the other one, when I want to engage muscle groups to various degrees. So far, this has not been the case, although this may change as it wears in. I like it just the way it is and do not know whether breaking-in will have an advantage or disadvantage. I keep the saddle level front to back, and the bars 11/2 inches lower than the saddle, and spend most of the time in the drops. The nose is narrow and will not cause an issue with rubbing on the inside of the thighs. The shape of it seems to contradict the whole idea of the V-shaped saddles, the shape suggests that it would impact the nerves, especially in the drops, but this has not happened yet. If I was to select a saddle to use long distance, this would be my first choice. If I remember it weighs in at 580 g., which is heavy now. It would be possible to save one lb. going to the ultra-light models, but this is one area where weight is not my prime concern. I say buy it, if you like an aero riding position, and if you intend on going long distances.
Old 06-21-03, 10:08 AM
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Right now I have the 2002 Specialized SWorks Saddle. Is this leather or plastic?
Old 06-21-03, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one I have is the 2002 Specialized Comp-full leather top. CDN was $144.00, but I know you can get them from the Specialized web site for about $39.00 US for last year's model. Duty, postage and exchange would boost it up there though. One thing I did not mention. I was in the habit of standing up quite a bit on the geared bike to relieve the pressure on the Specialized. On the fixed, I don't stand as often to stretch since you can't coast and my average cadence is higher. So, the seat contact must be greater on the Brooks, and the fact that I have so far no pain must say something about the Brooks saddles.
Old 06-21-03, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't kid you.....Brooks saddles don't break in overnight. I suggest you put one on your everyday/commuting bike, adopt your favourite mythical softening method (this site is full of them)then carry on as normal, adding proofide/glove oil/ neatsfoot/whatever whenever the mood takes you. Behind all the marketing baloney and pseudo-science, weight and the need for maintenance are the only drawbacks of a Brooks- and you can get a titanium railed "Swift" now, if the weight is really an issue.

These things are comfy.....long miles over many years. Old-timers used to transfer them from bike to bike.......

I've got a "Pro", a "Pro-Select", a "Conquest"and a"B17 standard". The most recent has been on my tourer for 10 years.

try one.....they aren't even expensive, compared to some of the gadgety rubbish available out there......
Old 06-21-03, 01:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't they just look "old school" though? I just don't see them on a high performance bike, they would look out of place.
Old 06-21-03, 02:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea, i think if i got one (i'm really considering it) it would look ridiculous on my OCLV. but no one will see it when you're riding. however, i was at their site, and i think some of the brown leather models would look incredible on a Ti bike.
Old 06-21-03, 03:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im thinking of trying one for my DF(I a recumbent as well).So im not to bothered
what it looks like as long as i dont get numb.
But i do think Brooks saddles look great ,so if you what one go for it.I have never found any one that dont give them a good report,i suppose they end up like a favourite pair of shoes.
Old 06-21-03, 04:54 PM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The break in of a Brooks saddle is overstated. At least in my case, my new Brooks was comfortable from day 1. As I rode it over a couple hundred miles or so, it developed indentations where my sit bones ride on the saddle and became even more comfortable. Nonetheless, the saddle was much more comfortable than my original padded saddle.

Some Brooks mold themselves to you more quickly than others. The leather of the popular B17 is a bit thinner than some of the other saddles and breaks in a bit sooner.
Old 06-21-03, 05:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always used a Brooks B-17 and I would say the break in period is 50 to 150 miles, although they are comfortable out of the box (as stated before).

My suggestion would be to avoid the Professional model and favor the B-17. A guy at work bought a Pro model and was not able to break in it and he rides a lot. The Brooks web site implies the Pro model is for the agressive rider. While we all would like to be one, most of us are probably not. Hence the B-17 may be a beter deal.

One last thought. The guy at Wallingford Bike in New Orleans has a 6 month unconditional return policy on Brooks. This may be worth investigating. I bought a marron B-17 from him with the spanner and proofride. Very satisfied. The spanner makes the tension adjustment a snap.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ
Old 06-21-03, 09:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the info everyone.

one last question: how much do these things cost? the B17 in particular, but if you know the prices of some of the others please tell me. their site doesnt seem to have prices, and roadbikereview doesnt even have brooks listed.
Old 06-21-03, 09:07 PM
A Heart Needs a Home

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some prices: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/saddles.html

Nashbar also carries a few Brooks models, and the Proofride saddle dressing you'll need. You could use the current 20% off $75 coupon there (see "Hot Deals") .

RichC
Old 06-21-03, 09:59 PM
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Try here: https://www.wallbike.com/ for some definitive info about, and pricing of Brooks saddles.
Old 06-21-03, 10:29 PM
FOG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys win. I bought a brooks b17 at nashbar.
Old 06-22-03, 01:16 AM
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Barnaby
Looking at it from the side, the top has a dip between the front of the saddle and the back. I thought that this would not allow me to slide back and forth as does the other one, when I want to engage muscle groups to various degrees. So far, this has not been the case, although this may change as it wears in. I like it just the way it is and do not know whether breaking-in will have an advantage or disadvantage. I keep the saddle level front to back, and the bars 11/2 inches lower than the saddle, and spend most of the time in the drops. The nose is narrow and will not cause an issue with rubbing on the inside of the thighs. The shape of it seems to contradict the whole idea of the V-shaped saddles, the shape suggests that it would impact the nerves, especially in the drops, but this has not happened yet. If I was to select a saddle to use long distance, this would be my first choice.
My old revamped tourer has a simular saddle though its got a plastic base & has some kind of padding (very thin) & covered with real buffalow hide , it looks like a real ball breaker but its suprisingly comfortable ! the old bloke in the little bike & mower shop round the corner remembers that kind of saddle & recons they were they were conciderd primo at the time , its a Viscount Aero , id'e never heard of them either
Old 06-22-03, 01:39 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nothing special about Brooks except for one small thing-COMFORT!!! LONG RIDING COMFORT!!!!!
Old 06-22-03, 05:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Supcom.
You say once the Brooks was broke in you got indentations where your sit bone are.
Dosent this cause more pressure on the place where its not supposed to.
Old 06-22-03, 06:35 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its no better or worst then any other saddle.One persons prize is another persons trash.Gota try saddles for yourseld.Just as many riders love koobi and i tried one and it made me go numb so it wasnt for me.Brooks may or may not be your cup of tea.
Old 06-22-03, 08:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interesting.The very type of saddle design which is supposed to be safe
ie one with a slot gave you problems.Does this suggest that many riders have been conned with these special saddles with slots?
I will definatly give a Brooks a go at some piont.
Old 06-22-03, 08:16 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No,open slots does work but the koobi is so narrow that it didnt work for me.Maybe i'm to big,probally not.LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.