Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

holiday shopping... and your backpack

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

holiday shopping... and your backpack

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I'm sure this is true where you live, but others should check locally. Here, I think they can arrest you if you go toward the exit with unpaid merchandise, or if you "conceal" unpaid merchandise.
If that law actually exists where you are then it is only because no one has tried to challenge it. There is no way a law like that would stand up to judicial review above the local level. Generally the person would have to have passed the last possible point of purchase to be charged with theft. Plus, conceal is very vague. There are many legitimate reasons why a person might place product inside some other container while shopping. Doesn't mean they're concealing it, conceal implies intent.

Last edited by AverageCommuter; 12-19-06 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-19-06, 02:43 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
TOWARD the exit**********? Isn't that where the registers are located?
toward the exit, not toward the register. Duh. But this may not be las everywhere. obviously, the average shopkeeper is going to look at you with suspicion if you refuse to follow their policies about back packs.

Under most state shoplifting laws, a business owner or employee has the legal right to detain a suspect if they have probable cause . Probable cause is defined under shoplifting laws as: having direct knowledge of an offender's approach, selection, concealment, movement, and/or modification of an item, and his/her failure to pay before attempting to exit the store. When a person is caught shoplifting, they will be required to return the items, will be prohibited from returning to the store for a period of time, and may be prosecuted through shoplifting laws.
(Lifted from the Internet--so it must be true!])

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 12-19-06 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-19-06, 03:25 PM
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get more odd looks when I say 'No bag' and wave to the bagger to stop so that I can put the stuff in the bag I've been wearing.
When I have my backpack with me, I say "no bag please". The please part sounds polite and makes it clearer to the confused cashier that I'm making a request of them.

At stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, the cashiers understand my reasoning behind refusing a plastic bag I don't have to pay for and it's easier to get the point across to them.
Old 12-19-06, 05:02 PM

Bikes: Jamis Nova

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerewa
At stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, the cashiers understand my reasoning behind refusing a plastic bag I don't have to pay for and it's easier to get the point across to them.

I dont know if its like this everywhere, but in Chicago (and in Austin), Whole Foods gives you 5 cents back for each bag you dont need from them. And Trader Joes gives you a raffle ticket for each one, where they draw prizes for free groceries.