Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How Often Do You Find Shortcuts?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How Often Do You Find Shortcuts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 06:17 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I suspect it would take longer than cycling; certainly more expensive. Also? Not a guy.
I wonder what kind of weird looks you'd get for kayaking to work?
Old 02-27-18, 10:02 AM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I wonder what kind of weird looks you'd get for kayaking to work?
True. I get enough weird looks for cycling to work.
Old 02-27-18, 10:44 AM
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by Korina
True. I get enough weird looks for cycling to work.
I can just imagine the looks on most peoples faces when you tell them you kayaked to work today instead of bicycled.
Old 02-27-18, 03:05 PM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
I can just imagine the looks on most peoples faces when you tell them you kayaked to work today instead of bicycled.
The trouble comes when the tide is out; Humboldt Bay turns into a vast mud flat, and I don't particularly want to slop through knee-deep mud in hip waders (I had enough of that Saturday with the Volunteer Trail Stewards). It'd be great exercise, but no.
Old 02-28-18, 12:45 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've wondered about it. Work is across a small lake and the shortest route is definitely by water. It's 5 miles by bike, 6 by car, and maybe 4 as the crow flies. Humping the kayak for the first and last mile would make it silly, I'm sure.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-28-18, 07:22 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
I've found a "longcut". The city is working on part of 15th Ave where I commute home. Sure I could take the lane but it is just a little busy for my comfort. Looking at google maps and just working my way thru the neighborhood added another tenth of a mile to my commute. And several minutes; turn left, turn right, etc.
Old 02-28-18, 09:08 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I can't say I have found shortcuts, but one or two alternatives that are way safer in certain areas. The biggest one is once I cross the bridge into the city, the bike lane ends at the first traffic light.

When I started commuting, I would cut through 2 traffic lanes to turn left at the light, then the first right. It was horrible.

Learned from a friend that I can turn right after the bridge and go past the USC baseball stadium, and wind my way through the sorority housing area. It was better, it added some time, but it still wasn't great. There are trains that sometimes stop and block one of those roads for a very long time. Plus, it did put you on a busy road for a short stretch.

Once you cross the bridge and reach the light, if you go straight you go up an overpass that goes over some RR tracks (it's very steep, and there is usually a lot of traffic and no shoulder). However, it took me awhile to find this, and I think it is only possible because of some new student housing, but I can go straight at the light and go under the overpass and that brings me to some new luxury student housing and I can go from there.

Attached photo: original route in red, 2nd in blue, winner winner chicken dinner in yellow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Routes.JPG (260.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 02-28-18, 10:03 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
About 9 months ago I started working at a new place, but near where I've worked and commuted by bike in the past. I'm re-examining my routes (short, rainy, light, dark, etc) and have found a way to cut 0.4 miles off my commute. My normal commute is 15.2 google miles if I use the bike path the most, which I do if it's not underwater or too muddy from being underwater. Regardless of the potentially muddy part I just re-looked at a route I've taken before and it is 0.4 miles shorter. These two routes are version of each other and at some point I can either go this way or that.

0.4 miles is not really a big deal by itself, but if I didn't pay attention to 0.4 miles, would I pay attention to 0.4 MORE miles? The 0.4 miles starts to add up.

Anyways, I like to know which is my shortest, my fastest, my most enjoyable, and all that. Depending on the day I need each one.
I don't look for short cuts...been riding my route for 26 years...I look for long cuts. Many people have asked me how many routes I have to home and I tell them that I have 599 different routes and that I've ridden most of them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-28-18, 02:40 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
When on a Bike tour in Belgium I cut a lot of the miles the racers take on the Ghent Wevelgem race take, to the sea shore and back..

by following a navigational canal for most of the distance between them ... Wevelgem is very close to Kortrijk..
Old 02-28-18, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After 11 years of my eight-mile commute, I'm still finding them!
Old 03-01-18, 10:24 AM

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Coming up on four years commuting to my current office. My route is pretty much set at this point. I take the safest/lowest hassle route possible.

This morning I had a bitter mom speeding to drop her child at the head start academy. She was going WAY too fast on a double parked road and on my half of it. Sorry folks, just because your vehicle is too big, doesn't mean you get to encroach on my lane. I let her know I didn't appreciate it.

She didn't seem to like that very much. Jumped out of her car screaming at me. I told her to save her breath and think about the example she was setting for her child.

Aggressive motorists never cease to amaze me. Oh, riiiiiight. I should totally let you break the law and threaten my life, because you're in a rush. Gotcha ya.
Old 03-01-18, 06:34 PM
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I've wondered about it. Work is across a small lake and the shortest route is definitely by water. It's 5 miles by bike, 6 by car, and maybe 4 as the crow flies. Humping the kayak for the first and last mile would make it silly, I'm sure.
Could you leave the kayak somewhere at either end? I was talking with someone from Seattle who told me it was pretty common for people there to have 2 cars - one on either side of the ferry they took as part of their commute to work.
Old 03-01-18, 08:45 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Could you leave the kayak somewhere at either end? I was talking with someone from Seattle who told me it was pretty common for people there to have 2 cars - one on either side of the ferry they took as part of their commute to work.
Nope! The south end has a place to moor (Sac State aquatic center) but it would add half a mile to the paddle and make the idea even sillier. But some boats have hand carts and some are light enough. I mean, see this thing? https://www.nrs.com/product/29321/nr...r-kayak-sherpa
Old 03-02-18, 11:54 AM
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Nope! The south end has a place to moor (Sac State aquatic center) but it would add half a mile to the paddle and make the idea even sillier. But some boats have hand carts and some are light enough. I mean, see this thing? https://www.nrs.com/product/29321/nr...r-kayak-sherpa
That doesn't look like the answer to your problem. How about an inflatable boat?
Old 03-02-18, 12:48 PM
Disco Infiltrator

That doesn't look like the answer to your problem. How about an inflatable boat?
what I really need is an electric parafoil
Old 03-02-18, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497
Coming up on four years commuting to my current office. My route is pretty much set at this point. I take the safest/lowest hassle route possible.

This morning I had a bitter mom speeding to drop her child at the head start academy. She was going WAY too fast on a double parked road and on my half of it. Sorry folks, just because your vehicle is too big, doesn't mean you get to encroach on my lane. I let her know I didn't appreciate it.

She didn't seem to like that very much. Jumped out of her car screaming at me. I told her to save her breath and think about the example she was setting for her child.

Aggressive motorists never cease to amaze me. Oh, riiiiiight. I should totally let you break the law and threaten my life, because you're in a rush. Gotcha ya.
This is a good example of a time when it makes sense to take the long cut. I would add a mile to my commute to avoid driving past a school or daycare. I would rather ride through the bar district at 2am than past a school at 8am.
Old 03-03-18, 01:13 AM
Disco Infiltrator

^^^word. Folsom is the worst with a big high school on an artery and a big middle school at the intersection of arteries
Old 03-03-18, 08:31 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've found only one real shortcut on my commute, since 2010, by accident. A driver had gone off the deep end with honking and pointing, making faces, and then turned into the Verizon complex. Since there was literally no reason for it, I figured she meant I should cut through their parking lot. So I did, kind of sarcastically, and sure enough there was a gate to a side road. Not really shorter but cutting out a big intersection and traffic. Later I realized that there was a private road circumventing the entire lot. I sometimes wonder if she was really just trying to clue me in after all, or pointlessly raging like I thought at the time.
Old 03-04-18, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i ride a lot and i always find shortcuts! just dont do it late at night
Old 03-04-18, 06:39 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by snoopansh
i ride a lot and i always find shortcuts! just dont do it late at night
Yes! Not an ideal time to explore!
Old 03-04-18, 07:18 PM

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Explore, 2011 Raleigh Cadent FT0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
My commute is hampered by New Circle Rd, a large bypass road that pretty much divides Lexington into hub and rim sections. I'm a mile to two miles outside the hub now and that narrows my initial options to a handful of routes. The more direct ones are shorter but I go out of the way to take advantage of a bike trail. Once you're inside New Circle there's generally more options but I work essentially downtown so at that point the choices end up being variations of the same rush hour traffic.

I'd love to live somewhere I could actually find lots of short cuts, though.
Old 03-04-18, 07:35 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan786i
My commute is hampered by New Circle Rd, a large bypass road that pretty much divides Lexington into hub and rim sections. I'm a mile to two miles outside the hub now and that narrows my initial options to a handful of routes. The more direct ones are shorter but I go out of the way to take advantage of a bike trail. Once you're inside New Circle there's generally more options but I work essentially downtown so at that point the choices end up being variations of the same rush hour traffic.

I'd love to live somewhere I could actually find lots of short cuts, though.
When I'm in shape to do full commutes, and time isn't a premium, I ride a bit to get to the bike path and take it almost all the way. Not much road time. I prefer this and find the ride to be much more enjoyable.
Old 03-14-18, 10:44 AM

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
This is a good example of a time when it makes sense to take the long cut. I would add a mile to my commute to avoid driving past a school or daycare. I would rather ride through the bar district at 2am than past a school at 8am.
True, I could avoid that stretch. I actually use it as a cut through to get off a busy main road faster, but some morning there are angry, aggressive mothers at the wheel trying to get to school.

I can't complain though, as most of my work commute is on a MUP. My city is just going through an insane population/building jump so the roads have gotten much, much busier in like 6-8 months. It's really mind blowing.
Old 03-14-18, 12:06 PM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
A couple weeks ago I said in this thread that I don't find shortcuts anymore because I'd explored them all...

Found one over the weekend by accident. Technically it's not a short cut as much as slightly longer route that helps me avoid the heavily trafficed no-shoulder road of death I'd otherwise have to take for a half mile.

But still...a better route is a better route.
Old 03-14-18, 02:55 PM

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
In my opinion, the shortest route in an urban environment is along busy streets. Although I'm perfectly able to ride in mixed traffic, unless there are bike lanes, I prefer to look for side streets and trails. The lower the number of moving cars encountered, the lower the risk of fatality. Doing that adds distance as you'll be meandering all over the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.