Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Non wheel builders - what's in your wheel maintenance toolkit?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Non wheel builders - what's in your wheel maintenance toolkit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 10:23 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Uh, no. The overtensioned wheel cracks because the tension exceeds yield strength on the rim. Neither a properly tensioned wheel nor an overtensioned wheel is ever unloaded during rotation.
Every wheel undergoes a decrease in tension above the contact patch. There is nothing that stops any rim from doing that. If the spoke were under compression, you could are your argument but the spoke isn’t under compression. It is only under tension. Wheels will undergo spoke unloading from simply inflating a tire.

Yes, an overtensioned wheel will crack due to exceeding the yield strength but it’s not something the happens immediately. It happens due to flexion of the metal of the rim through numerous loading and unloading cycles.

You might make an argument (in a bar near an engineering school late at night) that an undertensioned rim might detenion during unloading at the bottom of the wheel's rotation. In practice the spoke breaks because of cyclic detensioning rather than the rim breaking because of flexion.
It happens in both practice and theory.

I'm afraid that's nowhere near the first manufacturer's customer service rep that doesn't know what they're talking about.
Neither you nor I have seen the rim. We can’t tell if the spokes were tight or not. Nor do you know who at Velocity looked at the wheel. Finally, TheCharm said that the wheelbuilder agreed with Velocity. That says to me that is isn’t just someone who answers the phone at Velocity* that is making the determination.

*I’ve had a little bit of interaction with Velocity and the people who answer the phone aren’t exactly stupid.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 07-27-20 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 10:29 PM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by sweeks
Unless the front wheel carries a brake disc?
You are correct there but the difference in tension between sides on a front disc wheel are relatively small. They might even be in the error of the measurement. That’s largely because there is a lot of error in tension measurements.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-28-20, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts

From DT Swiss. Having spent a couple yrs in Switzerland I wouldn't want to mess with the foreman (forewoman?) in the background. I don't see little hammers being used to check spoke tension
Old 07-28-20, 04:35 AM

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Roch
From DT Swiss. Having spent a couple yrs in Switzerland I wouldn't want to mess with the foreman (forewoman?) in the background. I don't see little hammers being used to check spoke tension
Heh... I don't see any eye protection either!
Old 07-28-20, 01:45 PM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Uh, no. The overtensioned wheel cracks because the tension exceeds yield strength on the rim. Neither a properly tensioned wheel nor an overtensioned wheel is ever unloaded during rotation.
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Every wheel undergoes a decrease in tension above the contact patch. There is nothing that stops any rim from doing that. If the spoke were under compression, you could are your argument but the spoke isn’t under compression. It is only under tension. Wheels will undergo spoke unloading from simply inflating a tire.

Yes, an overtensioned wheel will crack due to exceeding the yield strength but it’s not something the happens immediately. It happens due to flexion of the metal of the rim through numerous loading and unloading cycles.

It happens in both practice and theory.
I think I see the cause of the confusion. You seem to be thinking tension cycling between (for instance) 100 kgf and 80 kgf will fatigue the material. But to cause metal fatigue, you have to cycle between tension (or compression) and zero (unloaded), or from tension to compression and back.

As far as time to failure, I haven't seen any references to either "new" or "after X miles."

You really can't compress a spoke (except in the mathematical sense). I've never failed to plastically buckle a spoke when I tried to compress one -- although I've nearly poked a hole in my hand!

Neither you nor I have seen the rim. We can’t tell if the spokes were tight or not. Nor do you know who at Velocity looked at the wheel. Finally, TheCharm said that the wheelbuilder agreed with Velocity. That says to me that is isn’t just someone who answers the phone at Velocity* that is making the determination.

*I’ve had a little bit of interaction with Velocity and the people who answer the phone aren’t exactly stupid.
If someone at Velocity looked at the wheel itself, I missed the reference. I agree you can't tell from the picture (and may I complement the OP, this is excellent photography and far above what's usually posted to the forum!) what the tension of the spoke was.

Perhaps you've seen an under-tensioned spoke crack a rim? I haven't, and I've fixed a bunch of broken spokes -- almost all from under-tensioning. That's why I made the comment about late night in a bar -- I can make the argument it might fatigue and crack the rim, but I've never seen it. Rims do fail when they're over-tensioned. I'd believe poor manufacturing or corrosion, even though there's no evidence in the picture for either, before I'd believe under-tensioning. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, etc. That's why I suspect over tensioning.
Old 07-29-20, 10:04 AM

I think I see the cause of the confusion. You seem to be thinking tension cycling between (for instance) 100 kgf and 80 kgf will fatigue the material. But to cause metal fatigue, you have to cycle between tension (or compression) and zero (unloaded), or from tension to compression and back.

As far as time to failure, I haven't seen any references to either "new" or "after X miles."

You really can't compress a spoke (except in the mathematical sense). I've never failed to plastically buckle a spoke when I tried to compress one -- although I've nearly poked a hole in my hand!
It the cycle that cause the rim to crack. For any particular section of the rim, it deflects upward when that section is over the contact patch. The spoke doesn't have to go to zero tension but only change tension. The change in tension causes the rim to crack. If the spoke at a low tension, the flexure could be even greater since the tension on the spoke would go through wider variation.

I agree that there is no compression on the spoke...and that's a large part of why the rim flexes. There is nothing holding the rim to the spoke except tension. Reduce the tension and the rim rides up on the spoke nipple...even just a little. Then the rim unloads and pulls back down on the spoke nipple. That flexes the aluminum around the nipple constantly. Loose spokes flex more so the rim could be prone to cracking in both low tension and high tension regimes.

If someone at Velocity looked at the wheel itself, I missed the reference. I agree you can't tell from the picture (and may I complement the OP, this is excellent photography and far above what's usually posted to the forum!) what the tension of the spoke was.

Perhaps you've seen an under-tensioned spoke crack a rim? I haven't, and I've fixed a bunch of broken spokes -- almost all from under-tensioning. That's why I made the comment about late night in a bar -- I can make the argument it might fatigue and crack the rim, but I've never seen it. Rims do fail when they're over-tensioned. I'd believe poor manufacturing or corrosion, even though there's no evidence in the picture for either, before I'd believe under-tensioning. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, etc. That's why I suspect over tensioning.
Spokes do break because of under tensioning but that's a different mechanism in my opinion. An undertensioned spoke is flexed side-to-side during cornering and pedaling more than a tight spoke is. That puts more stress on the spoke elbow and causes it to crack and break.

I have seen cracks on wheels that had very low tension as well as high tension. Both take a while.

Old 07-29-20, 10:12 AM

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Learn to build your own wheels.
Use a $5 cell phone app if you need to verify absolute tension. Input gauge and unsupported span. Pluck a spoke. The app will use a fast fourier transform to convert time to frequency domain, then the dominant frequency to tension.

You can hear the difference between spokes.
Could you recommend an App that you've used and liked? I'm preparing to go this route.

Thanks.