Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Caliper vs disc brakes on road bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Caliper vs disc brakes on road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-19, 12:46 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3708 Post(s)
Liked 5,545 Times in 2,804 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
I am not contending rim brakes work as well in the rain as best state of art discs in top condition. They don't. Good rim brakes are enough to do the job. Will absolutely require more effort from rider. Which is not a bad thing. Riding in the rain a rider should be on maximum alert to remain safe. Not many have ever been on brakes that good. Best rim brakes are way closer to average discs than is imagined. Industry was lazy for years and quit doing anything to improve rim brakes. When discs finally started to take off the decision was to ignore rim brakes entirely. Rim brakes could be much better for much less effort than has been dumped into discs. Most important would be getting the brakes to work out of the box. Quality assembly. And that would apply just as much to discs.

Almost every rider I know who has discs has problem after problem. A few go to the LBS weekly or more often for a year or more before finally getting tolerable function. The other way to handle the problem is to make that bike a garage ornament. Which is already the simple majority of bikes, discs have aggravated that. The exception to constant problems would be very new top end Shimano brakes. Those are getting easier to manage. Or at least often they are largely trouble free. You think it's been bolt on and ride for a decade. How many different systems of bolting on have there been in past decade? Do we have standardization yet? I can't see standardization from here. Nor have I heard that much reduction in constant rubbing.

Simple stuff like parking a bike on a rack is hard on discs. Discs are going on every new bike and they aren't ready. Any bike at all can be damaged parked on a rack, discs are just way more vulnerable.

I know what a U-brake is. Apparently you don't know what brazed CP is. OK, there aren't many of them, not surprising you wouldn't know.

Through axles have only been standard and automatic for what, two years. Also only about two years since sponsors bludgeoned the last CX pro with rim brakes into using beta discs. The CX pros who wanted to stay with rim brakes had reasons, good ones. They saw the majority of the competition on discs and didn't want to go there. It wasn't that they didn't want to win.

The big sales point for discs has always been powerful braking for trivial effort. Most riders don't ride much in rain, few wear out rims. It's the instant gratification that sells the brakes. Is it even a good idea to have that much instant brake? In a panic situation it might just be a good idea to have to work hard to brake. On a long descent discs mean forearms do not get so pumped, hands do not get so tired. Every other part of the body gets worked hard though. Should those with weak hands be encouraged to do long fast descents at all? I don't think so. Sounds more to me like a way for the unprepared to get in over their heads. I am way out of step for thinking it is not always a good idea to make riding easy. And then I see someone who has been trained to believe their brakes are perfect who just got instant and total brake fade.

And most of the discussion of all these points sounds like ad copy. Ad copy does not impress.
Impressive
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-22-19, 12:49 PM

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I'm amazed that people think it is a worthwhile use of their time to give long winded statements on this topic.
Who knows? Maybe some exec from Giant or Specialized reads the forum and will see the error of their ways, and revert all road bikes to single pivot calipers.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 11-22-19, 01:00 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
I know what a U-brake is. Apparently you don't know what brazed CP is. OK, there aren't many of them, not surprising you wouldn't know.
You had me second guess myself there. I looked it up and 'Braze-on cetre-pulls' are in fact identical to U brakes of the 80s, which are also identical in function to the 70s centrepulls like Mafac Racers, which are not good brakes - maybe better than the single-pivot side-pulls of that era, but about as good at stopping a bike as center-pull cantilever brakes, but with significant disadvantages. V brakes blow all these out of the water. Modern discs are superior, and I see only 'retro style' as a reason to take three step backwards to U brakes.
Old 11-22-19, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,334 Times in 681 Posts
Blaming marketing departments for the increase of disc brakes on high-end bikes is overly simplistic. People have accepted disc brakes because they work really well. Why people are resistant to accepting brakes that work better in all conditions is odd but to each there own. Obviously there will be people who don't want to change and there will always be choices available for them.
Old 11-22-19, 01:37 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked 7,417 Times in 2,985 Posts
Almost every rider I know who has discs has problem after problem. A few go to the LBS weekly or more often for a year or more before finally getting tolerable function.
If it really takes 50+ visits to the shop to get disc brakes to work, you have a lot of dumb cyclists and a lot of bad mechanics in your town.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-22-19, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18462 Post(s)
Liked 15,725 Times in 7,391 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
You use a pump to stop?!! You da man!!!

Cleo McDowell: "Ever open a Champagne bottle before?"
Prince Akeem: "No, but I have seen it done."
Old 11-22-19, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18462 Post(s)
Liked 15,725 Times in 7,391 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Who knows? Maybe some exec from Giant or Specialized reads the forum and will see the error of their ways, and revert all road bikes to single pivot calipers.
Let's hope all bike manufacturer execs do the same with respect to 1x gearing.
Old 11-22-19, 01:59 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by AWillZ
Not trying to be talked out of it, but trying to justify my preference. For the majority of riders I don't see the benefit as it relates to cost and weight unless you are riding or racing in the rain or riding poorly designed carbon rims.
Fixed it for you.
Old 11-22-19, 02:12 PM

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Let's hope all bike manufacturer execs do the same with respect to 1x gearing.
The posts I have in my drafts folder about all-silver groupsets, and a mandatory 16t cog on every cassette, are waiting for the right moment.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 11-22-19, 02:17 PM
Advanced Slacker

If you want one bike to do it all, road, gravel, combination of both then I can see the advantage of being able to go from 25 or 28 to 32 or even 40 tires as needed but I was referring to road bikes and most caliper brakes will work with up to 28's...and I cant see any advantage in anything wider than that for the road.
Ride some light and supple 32s on a crappy paved road and you will see the point. Personally, even if I never rode a pebble of gravel again, I will never ride anything smaller than 32s. I just don't see the point.

Buying a frame that can't clear bigger than 28s at this point seems idiotic to me.
Old 11-22-19, 02:19 PM
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Leinster
The posts I have in my drafts folder about all-silver groupsets, and a mandatory 16t cog on every cassette, are waiting for the right moment.
I would sign the All-Silver-Goupset petition
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-22-19, 02:25 PM

Bikes: Ridley Damocles, Dura Ace 7800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kapusta - Totally understand the benefit of wide, but if you raced your road bike you wouldn't race on 32's
Lienister - I agree, bike makers decide what they want us to buy and reinforce it with endless marketing data
Velopig - Not true, no matter what the bike makers tell you - rim brakes work just as well (and have much better feel) unless, as I said early on, its raining or if you are riding substandard carbon wheels
Old 11-22-19, 02:46 PM
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 704 Posts
OK, I'm in

Old 11-22-19, 03:35 PM
Advanced Slacker

Kapusta - Totally understand the benefit of wide, but if you raced your road bike you wouldn't race on 32's
Is this a race-day only bike?

If not, then why limit your options?
Old 11-22-19, 03:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I group ride, train and race on the same bike with the same wheels and tires... and I plan to do the same when I get the new bike - I am planning on HED Ardennes Black wheels and Continental GP 5000 25's. Currently riding on HED Ardennes SL wheels (slightly narrower than the Ardennes black) so I ride on 23 tires
Old 11-22-19, 04:03 PM
Advanced Slacker

No I group ride, train and race on the same bike with the same wheels and tires... and I plan to do the same when I get the new bike - I am planning on HED Ardennes Black wheels and Continental GP 5000 25's. Currently riding on HED Ardennes SL wheels (slightly narrower than the Ardennes black) so I ride on 23 tires
I will refer back to post number 38.

You are not interested in understanding why people choose discs, only in justifying your own preference.

Your preference is fine, you don’t need our validation. Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-22-19 at 04:51 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-22-19, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
This thread needed a poll.
Old 11-22-19, 04:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disagree - I wasn't looking for justification. Don't need that. I was saying, from the beginning, disc brakes add rotating weight (bad) and cost (bad) but don't really perform any better with the two exceptions that I stated. So, why pay hundreds more and add weight? that was the original premise of my post.

And as far as post 38 is concerned - I totally agree...but I didn't bring that up - discs are high maintenance
Old 11-22-19, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,334 Times in 681 Posts
Will start with the false premise that rim brakes modulate better than disc. You are plain wrong, hydraulic brakes modulate with a clean linear feel unlike cable actuated brakes.

Your rotating weight theory is also faulty since disc specific rims have less mass as they don’t need a brake track and thus reducing rotating mass.

23mm tires are not faster when riding outdoors on normal roads.

Brakes need to work at all times even when its raining or the rims are wet.

Substandard or top of the line rim brakes are a pain with carbon wheels. Problematic to switch between race and training wheels. Performance changes as the rim heats as in a long descent. Terrible wet performance.
Old 11-22-19, 08:49 PM

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 690 Posts
I like to eat when I’m hungry. Just sayin.
Likes For spelger:
Old 11-22-19, 09:45 PM
Advanced Slacker

Disagree - I wasn't looking for justification. Don't need that. I was saying, from the beginning, disc brakes add rotating weight (bad) and cost (bad) but don't really perform any better with the two exceptions that I stated. So, why pay hundreds more and add weight? that was the original premise of my post.

And as far as post 38 is concerned - I totally agree...but I didn't bring that up - discs are high maintenance
Oops sorry. I meant post 58. My eyes are getting too old to read my phone.

You wrote that you were “trying to understand the why the whole road bike world is going disc”... but in fact you are not trying to understand.
Old 11-22-19, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
If I were buying a new road bike, it would be rim brakes. A new gravel bike, it would be disc.
Old 11-23-19, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If it really takes 50+ visits to the shop to get disc brakes to work, you have a lot of dumb cyclists and a lot of bad mechanics in your town.
Complete agreement with that.
Old 11-23-19, 08:16 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
So you've either never used discs, or they're high maintenance-- which is it? I put in more miles than many on here, and have touched my disc brakes twice in 2019. I bleed the calipers in April, and the service interval came up in the beginning of November when I replaced my rotors-- they lasted a paltry 17,220 miles. AFAIC, nothing on a bicycle is "high maintenance" aside from the tires, whose pressure has to be checked before every ride.
Old 11-23-19, 10:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DrIsotope,
Nope, I don't have a disc brake road bike, but I have many club friends that I ride with on a regular basis that do - some complain about rubbing and alignment and some don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.