Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Poll: Zwifters, How do you use Zwift?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: How do you use Zwift
To stay in shape.
63.16%
Somewhere else to ride when the weather outside is terrible
57.89%
Pure recreation - I enjoy exploring the worlds and like tooling around.
15.79%
Want to improve my fitness and it provides the tools to help me
36.84%
I like to test my fitness level, and it has FTP test
21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Zwifters, How do you use Zwift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22, 08:23 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The workouts in Zwift are based on FTP, so you’ll need to know it if you want to use any of them.
Old 03-22-22, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I just use it to ride. Thou Zwift is really pushing to whole race thing hard. I have always just enjoyed riding. I ride Rouvy more than Zwift as I enjoy the group rides there more than on Zwift. As the group rides on Zwift are just races by another name. My goal is my personal fitness. An when riding out doors I find that it does truly help. One could never ride as much as I do without indoor riding. Unless you are single and have no one else to take up your time.
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 03-23-22, 11:18 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
I just use it to ride. Thou Zwift is really pushing to whole race thing hard. I have always just enjoyed riding. I ride Rouvy more than Zwift as I enjoy the group rides there more than on Zwift. As the group rides on Zwift are just races by another name. My goal is my personal fitness. An when riding out doors I find that it does truly help. One could never ride as much as I do without indoor riding. Unless you are single and have no one else to take up your time.
Today I decided to try the Tour de Zwift at the C level (the slowest available) to see what it was about. Holy Cow, the group I was launched into was riding at 3.0-4.0 Watts per Kg. Knew this was too damn fast so slowed to my more usual pace around 2.4 as I watched the 3.0+ crowd disappear over the horizon. Luckily there were enough similarly paced people, about 10 of us, that formed our own reasonably paced group that I hung with. But you are right, Zwift group rides can be highly competitive, however when you decide to just ride your own pace, it can be good.

Old 03-24-22, 07:18 AM

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
In the big group rides like Tour Da Zwift, Tour Da Watopia there's usually large numbers that join up for these rides so there's always another blob to join and draft when you get dropped by the group you started with. I enjoy these group rides because it pushes me to try and keep up instead of getting dropped. When not in group rides/races, I tend to ride at a lighter pace. You just have to know your limits with consideration that you will be riding like this for the next 30-60 minutes depending on which group you choose.

What's frustrating is getting dropped because of elevation like in the stage 4 ride through the jungle. Gravity is not my friend, that's for sure. I lose 30-50 spots in ranking as soon as there's any kind of climb but I don't gain them back on the descent! And yeah I know, lose some weight but it's disheartening. To keep up I would have to be pushing another 40-80 watts over what I'm already doing and sustain it which would push my threshold way beyond what I can do.