Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Do you want to be labeled a "Cyclist" by others?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Do you want to be labeled a "Cyclist" by others?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 12:38 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Maybe we should go back to wheelman, except nowadays it would have to be wheelperson?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-20-13, 12:57 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Machka
Thanks Roody.
No prob... You've always been kind of a hero to me. Sometimes when I'm riding and I get real tired, I think about you doing those 24 hour rides and it inspires me to keep going. I also respect your talents for writing and photography.

I do disagree with a lot of your opinions, which actually seem contrarian on this board. Sometimes you piss me off a lot.

But it takes balls to be the dissenter on the Internet. ILTB has done it for years, and I give him props for that. We will see if you and your lovely husband are up to it also. Just remember: it isn't personal, at least on my part.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-20-13, 01:09 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
So, yeah, that's how I handle the full-size pickup guys. And the Harley guys. I haven't found anything that works on the European Sports Sedan crowd, though. Does anyone have any pointers?
Yes. Don't try to label/categorize the people you meet, in order to fit them into the handy stereotypes you have established in your mind.

Deal with people as individuals and what each one says, not what you have conditioned yourself to hear colored by your own prejudices based on vehicle ownership stereotypes.
Old 11-20-13, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Good find!

I say again: Who knew? I thought cyclist was a synonym for person on bike. For a while, I was labeling myself as an everyday cyclist, based on somebody who rides a bike every day or for everyday purposes, but that never really caught on. Now I usually use transportation cyclist, but that term seems either redundant or too limiting, depending on how you think about it. I often say rider, both because it seems more romantic, and it puts us on a par with drivers. But professional cyclists call themselves riders, so it's probably an equally objectionable term to those who object to cyclist.

Let me describe a typical day of my bike activities: do a fast 10 miles on a rural highway (fitness), ride slowly along a river on the MUP (recreation), take my son and grandson out for ice cream (family fun), impromptu race with random teenager on a BMX (competition), getting groceries (utility), and riding to work (commuter). And I'm probably wearing padded Lycra bike shorts under a pair of cargo shorts or khakis.

How the hell am I supposed to label all that?
"Cyclist", or "bike rider", or "cycling enthusiast"? Or, the incredibly awkward and needlessly person-centered term "person on a bike" that the linked blog article advocates for? All would be accurate descriptions, but I don't know if we need to be "labeling" ppl at all. To me, the quest for the perfect label is a fool's errand.
Old 11-20-13, 01:12 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Maybe we should go back to wheelman, except nowadays it would have to be wheelperson?
Or cut to the quick and call ourselves scorchers.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-20-13, 01:14 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Yes. Don't try to label/categorize the people you meet, in order to fit them into the handy stereotypes you have established in your mind.

Deal with people as individuals and what each one says, not what you have conditioned yourself to hear colored by your own prejudices based on vehicle ownership stereotypes.
That's funny. And, it'd be darn good advice, if there weren't so many ppl who actively seek out stereotypes and cliches to wedge themselves into.

If I had the time to develop a highly nuanced, individualized impression about every human I met, I might do it. But, if we're talking about folks I've just met, who've already categorized me, and are actively heckling whatever stereotype they've tried to file me under, I feel it's more efficient to go with the flow.
Old 11-20-13, 01:49 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by FenderTL5
I came across this article/blog yesterday on this subject: ..instead of cyclist?
It seems some bicycle oriented publications are beginning to reduce the usage because it carries a negative connotation.
Perhaps the article should be forwarded to the owners of numerous U.S. bicycle stores who have no idea and/or interest in any kind of "cyclist" other than the stereotypical performance enthusiast catered to by their store personnel.

The selection of bicycles on the store showroom floor, usually limited to performance/enthusiast bikes, as well as the "performance" prices, chase any potential "other kind of bicyclist" out the door and to the nearest big box store.
Old 11-20-13, 02:31 PM

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm a lyrca clad unfriendly aero obsessed fred that doesn't own a car what is my label?
Old 11-20-13, 02:49 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by plustax
If I'm a lyrca clad unfriendly aero obsessed fred that doesn't own a car what is my label?
A poorly dressed cyclist without a car.
Old 11-20-13, 02:53 PM

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Succint and accurate.... I don't like it!
Old 11-20-13, 03:10 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by plustax
Succint and accurate.... I don't like it!
OK, perhaps you might like Sharp Dressed Man Who Rides Only He-man Machines.
Old 11-20-13, 03:19 PM
Been Around Awhile

Wheelman/Wheelperson; almost as stilted in current use as the phrase "driving a bicycle" used by a few bicycling advocates.
Old 11-21-13, 03:54 AM
Sophomoric Member

I'm thinking we need a better solution for us transportation/commuter/utility/everyday cyclists. We should take back the word "cyclists" for ourselves. Similar to the Bike Pittsburgh ads, we should have our own marketing campaign to show that "We Are Cyclists Too!"

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-21-13, 12:27 PM
Been Around Awhile

I'm thinking we need a better solution for us transportation/commuter/utility/everyday cyclists. We should take back the word "cyclists" for ourselves. Similar to the Bike Pittsburgh ads, we should have our own marketing campaign to show that "We Are Cyclists Too!"
Not in the eyes of many (most?) LBS owners or media outlets.

The most likely organization to adapt such a marketing slogan would be a big box store chain like Walmart or Target whose bikes ARE aimed at and sold to such Cyclists as well as students, youth and children. They can afford to let the LBS try and survive on the leftovers of bikes only aimed at performance enthusiasts and lycra clad cyclists.
Old 11-21-13, 02:22 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Let me describe a typical day of my bike activities: do a fast 10 miles on a rural highway (fitness), ride slowly along a river on the MUP (recreation), take my son and grandson out for ice cream (family fun), impromptu race with random teenager on a BMX (competition), getting groceries (utility), and riding to work (commuter).
That's your typical day? Whoah!
Old 11-21-13, 02:59 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by cooker
That's your typical day? Whoah!
Actually, um, no. I have many days like that, but I shouldn't have said typical...maybe once a week.

The point was, on any given day, I use a bike for several different purposes, often beyond what people think of as a "cyclist". Most people on this forum could probably say the same, without exaggerating. I don't know of one term that would cover all of it, other than a very broad one like "cyclist".

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-21-13, 03:32 PM
Sophomoric Member

Not in the eyes of many (most?) LBS owners or media outlets.

The most likely organization to adapt such a marketing slogan would be a big box store chain like Walmart or Target whose bikes ARE aimed at and sold to such Cyclists as well as students, youth and children. They can afford to let the LBS try and survive on the leftovers of bikes only aimed at performance enthusiasts and lycra clad cyclists.
The bike shops are the worst. There's a new LBS near my house that claims to cater to "urban cyclists" but they are snootier than the shop I've patronized for years. The new urban shop wants me to buy a $1000 bike that looks just like a $100 Walmart cruiser, except it has no gears. Or they think I should get a $1300 recumbent trike because (they claim) it's perfect for city riding. My guess is they would double the price of the trike if it didn't have gears!

anyhoo, I wasn't thinking of an ad campaign sponsored by retailers. I was thinking of sponsorship by non-profit groups of transportation cyclists. Bike shops would be a target of the campaign: they should cater to somebody other than performance bike enthusiasts because We Are Cyclists Too!

Another target would be so-called bicycle advocacy groups. A local bike group focuses their advocacy efforts on a three foot law, because they seem to think that all "cyclists" are club riders who ride mainly in packs on highway shoulders. They don't recognize that the vast majority of cyclists ride mainly on traffic-choked city streets, or most likely sidewalks. We transportation cyclists don't benefit much from three foot laws. We need specific infrastructure improvements, and laws that criminalize hitting people with a car. Because, dammit, we are cyclists too!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-21-13, 03:46 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here's where I'm at, in terms of nomenclature:

-on this board, it doesn't matter what you terms you use: you will be mocked, questioned, dissected, challenged, and dismissed regardless of the terminology you select. There's a chance you might be applauded, but it is equally likely that you will make someone cry with whatever synonym for "cyclist" you choose.
-elsewhere on the internets, cycling discussions have a tendency to be relegated to all the sub-genres and niches anyway, so "cyclist" is probably good enough, unless you find yourself on some sort of esoteric "organisms atop of velos" forum or blog, in which case you'll need person-centered language to keep all the sensitive folks in check. "I'm NOT a cyclist!!! I'm a human being!!!"
-In the real world, you can say cyclist, but the folks I know who ride or talk about those who do, we're likely to use a less conscientious version of the person-centered talk. "Some kid on a bike..." "This chick on a bike..." "An arrogant DB on a bike..." In the case where you need to get more specific, you can, and it'll be easier b/c your friends can ask immediate clarifying questions, whereas internet ppl will ask clarifying questions hours after you post, and you might not get the chance to respond for a few days. If you pre-clarify, you might make someone cry.
- I've often referred to the modern cyclists as "LARPists", b/c many folks on a bike have a tendency to be acting out some sort of fantasy role with their bicycles. (I'm already anticipating the bizarre, narcissistic challenges that this assertion may bring.) I've found it easier to use the projected fantasy as a way to describe a particular type of rider, and it works well for ppl familiar with the concept. Beyond the obvious fake roadracers, you'll have the fake messengers (and their cousins, the fake Keirin racers) , the elven LARPists (with twine all over their 6-bolt cranksets, and whatnot), the fake-it-like-it's-a-motorcycle set ("yeah, I put a springer and a sissy bar on my '58 Hornet"), the fake-mt-dew-commercial guys ("dude! extreeeeeeeeeeeeme!!!"), the reenactment cyclists (who crossover with the elves quite frequently), and the folks who try hard to fake it like they're being as pragmatic as is humanly possible. (To be honest, I'm a little bit guilty of most of these...)

Of course, there are many more, but at the end of the day, they're all cyclists. And, with the exception of a few circus bears on unicycles, we all know that virtually every cyclist is a human, so we probably don't need to find a new way of expressing that, just b/c the roadie LARPists have dominated the cycling world for so long now.

How's that for playing around with my drive to label/categorize ppl?
Old 11-22-13, 12:59 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I am a Cyclist ... who does all sorts of different cycling, on all sorts of different bicycles.

I dress up in my comfy and attractive cycling attire and ride long distances (well, not right this minute ... health issues), short distances, and even races
I dress up in casual attire and tour
I dress up in winter attire to ride 6 months of the year

I ride single bicycles of various sorts
I ride a tandem
I have ridden recumbents and recumbent trikes, and would like to acquire one

I ride for fitness, I ride events, I ride to run errands, I ride to go places and see things, I have ridden to commute and may do that again, and I ride for fun.

Being a Cyclist encompasses all those things.

If you don't want to be a Cyclist, that's fine. Me ... I like being a Cyclist.
Old 11-22-13, 01:06 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Wheelman/Wheelperson; almost as stilted in current use as the phrase "driving a bicycle" used by a few bicycling advocates.
I think the term wheel took a header when Starley developed the safety bike. With wheels of the same size, calling it a Wheel just didn't make as much sense.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-22-13, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Or cut to the quick and call ourselves scorchers.

I am not a number, I am a free man!

Oh, wait, never mind, carry on...
Old 11-23-13, 07:03 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Referring to me as a Scorcher would be like painting flames and drilling holes in the muffler of a Yugo.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-06-13, 12:59 AM

Bikes: Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know. I have never been introduced as a cyclist. But maybe that's because that most people I know are both cyclists and motorists, and living where I live there is nothing odd about cycling. Not one bit. I have been introduced as a rower but that was to another rower, though.
Old 12-19-13, 05:54 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Off topic a bit I am sure but jus what kind of LBS do so many of you have that would drive you to a BB store? Just what are you looking for that you can't get from places like REI or Performance or in my case one of the three LBSs?

Like I have said before I don't care if I am called a cyclist or not but I do take pride to a degree on the bikes I buy, build and ride. I just can't see what most BB store bikes have to offer other than rock bottom price and zero service and quality control. I know some people couldn't tell the difference between a Next duel suspension BSO and a LBS and a Redline DD880 but once using one for the purpose they were supposed to be designed for they should be able to see the difference.

I spend a lot of time helping neighbors trying to keep their BB store bikes running simi acceptable, by my standards I understand, and even I will have to visit the LBS now and then for a problem I can't solve in a timely manner. I will also admit that not many LBSs have traditional roadsters for sale but not BB stores do either.

When someone bothers to ask me about getting a bike I will in most cases point them to a LBS because they offer service as well as sales. One of the ones I go to rebuilds old bikes including Schwinns. Then I suggest an online bike store, then Craig's list, then a thrift store and lastly a BB store. a BB store beats walking but in my opinion only about 50 percent of the time because the bikes are low quality to start with. I just don't know how so many here can have such a bad experience with a LBS. If I remember correctly one of the biggest detractors of BB store bikes to visit these forums works at a BB store and puts together of all things Bikes. So no I don't believe a LBS is the worst.
Old 12-20-13, 12:56 AM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Off topic a bit I am sure but jus what kind of LBS do so many of you have that would drive you to a BB store? Just what are you looking for that you can't get from places like REI or Performance or in my case one of the three LBSs?

Like I have said before I don't care if I am called a cyclist or not but I do take pride to a degree on the bikes I buy, build and ride. I just can't see what most BB store bikes have to offer other than rock bottom price and zero service and quality control. I know some people couldn't tell the difference between a Next duel suspension BSO and a LBS and a Redline DD880 but once using one for the purpose they were supposed to be designed for they should be able to see the difference.

I spend a lot of time helping neighbors trying to keep their BB store bikes running simi acceptable, by my standards I understand, and even I will have to visit the LBS now and then for a problem I can't solve in a timely manner. I will also admit that not many LBSs have traditional roadsters for sale but not BB stores do either.

When someone bothers to ask me about getting a bike I will in most cases point them to a LBS because they offer service as well as sales. One of the ones I go to rebuilds old bikes including Schwinns. Then I suggest an online bike store, then Craig's list, then a thrift store and lastly a BB store. a BB store beats walking but in my opinion only about 50 percent of the time because the bikes are low quality to start with. I just don't know how so many here can have such a bad experience with a LBS. If I remember correctly one of the biggest detractors of BB store bikes to visit these forums works at a BB store and puts together of all things Bikes. So no I don't believe a LBS is the worst.
The salespeople can be pretty snooty when you don't have a grand or two to drop on a high end bike. Also, the level of service is often quite low. I asked one sales guy about buying a couple tires and he told me I'd be better off getting them on the Internet. They weren't at all busy at the time, and they had tires on display, so I don't know why he chased away a sale like that.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.